Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wireless networking on a Wallstreet Powerbook

Wireless networking on a Wallstreet Powerbook
dlg1967
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 12:59 AM

Just wondering what kind of wireless networking was possible on a Wallstreet Powerbook. Will it support an airport card. The Apple Spec sheet leaves this spot blank. If not, or even if, is there a third party that makes a PC Card (or PCMCIA card, whichever you like) that will work in a Macintosh? I see many of these cards on sale for less then the Airport but none of them mentions OS 9 or OS X support.

Unfortunately, I do not have any manuals to let me know what is possible. Got the Powerbook from work when they were getting rid of them and only managed to find the software that came with it. I forgot what OS 8.5 was like.... Ah, nostalgia. Anyway....

Thanks much

Dave

Vond
Apr 16, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by dlg1967:
Just wondering what kind of wireless networking was possible on a Wallstreet Powerbook. Will it support an airport card. The Apple Spec sheet leaves this spot blank. If not, or even if, is there a third party that makes a PC Card (or PCMCIA card, whichever you like) that will work in a Macintosh? I see many of these cards on sale for less then the Airport but none of them mentions OS 9 or OS X support.

Unfortunately, I do not have any manuals to let me know what is possible. Got the Powerbook from work when they were getting rid of them and only managed to find the software that came with it. I forgot what OS 8.5 was like.... Ah, nostalgia. Anyway....

Thanks much

Dave
Umm, if you were running OS X, you could definitely use a PCMCIA wireless card using the third-party driver. I know zero about Classic OS'es but you might find a card with old (pre-Airport) software. Maybe.

dlg1967  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Vond:
Umm, if you were running OS X, you could definitely use a PCMCIA wireless card using the third-party driver. I know zero about Classic OS'es but you might find a card with old (pre-Airport) software. Maybe.
That's cool. I'll be installing Jaguar next week. Will most wireless PCMCIA cards work? Do you know of ones that will? Can't seem to find much information on company's web sites about macintosh support. Thanks again!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 02:12 AM

I use a Lucent "Orinoco" silver card in my Wallstreet (OS 9 ). It works with Apple Airport Software (OS 9).

I think Proxim may have taken over Lucent's division.... you may wanna check.

Vond
Apr 18, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by dlg1967:
That's cool. I'll be installing Jaguar next week. Will most wireless PCMCIA cards work? Do you know of ones that will? Can't seem to find much information on company's web sites about macintosh support. Thanks again!
Here's what you need to know (if your card doesn't "just work" with the Apple Airport software):

http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/

Forum Links
Forum Rules