Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Did OSX Crash On Me??

Did OSX Crash On Me??
gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 06:21 PM

OK, this has only happened twice in the last month that I have owned my powerbook 17". One after, I woke it from sleep, and yesterday when I tried to open a movie in quicktime. What happened is that my screen went dim and a message is english and several other languages came up saying I needed to restart my computer, and to hold the powerbutton down until it restarted. I did this and everything was fine, but I was wondering if this was OSX crashing? Also I should not that I don't turn my computer off, I just put it to sleep when I am done with it...

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 06:25 PM

Welcome in the land of kenel panics

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 06:30 PM

I always just put my PowerBook to sleep; however, I always have it plugged in as well...it's my desktop (and laptop of course)...no problem with what you are doing, it's just that OS X has some "hiccups" every now and then.

climber
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 06:44 PM

OSX Never crashes, it did not happen, it is all in your mind...

Instead of crashing you had a kernal panic. These are completely different, ahhh becouse the name is different...

Who came up with the new name for a crash anyhow, must be some kind of unix thing.
climber

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by climber:
Who came up with the new name for a crash anyhow, must be some kind of unix thing.
Not sure of it's origin, but I think it's derived from the "Darwin kernel" layer within the OS X system...

gururafiki  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 06:55 PM

strange. I would have thought that if it was a kernal panic, a message would say "KERNAL PANIC", but I guess not. Did OSX version 1.0 have a kernal panic message?

This explains the very infrequent strange behavior though, thanks for the help.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
Did OSX version 1.0 have a kernal panic message?
Yep, but the system did not provide the nice "message box" that you saw...it went straight into a full black command screen with white unix language commands, scared alot of people...hence, the newer "message" routine in Jaguar.

gururafiki  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Yep, but the system did not provide the nice "message box" that you saw...it went straight into a full black command screen with white unix language commands, scared alot of people...hence, the newer "message" routine in Jaguar.

thats what I though. my previouse expierence with OSX is with version one, so I expected something like this to happen when I saw a kernal panic. heheh, at least the newer message does not scare the hell out of me like version 1 did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules