Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > KaZaA for Mac!

KaZaA for Mac!
King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 12:03 AM

It appears MLDonkey is supporting the FastTrack Protocal! Go check out Versiontracker!

(Attempting to start a Download now)

King Bob On The Cob  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 12:13 AM

Best of all, It works AND it connects to Supernodes!

rob7erto
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
Best of all, It works AND it connects to Supernodes!
I've never been able to get mlDonkey to work. Can somebody explain it to me like I was a 2 year old.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by rob7erto:
I've never been able to get mlDonkey to work. Can somebody explain it to me like I was a 2 year old.
1. Download MLdonkey and MLdoneky launcher (search VT). Put the entire mldonkey folder from the mounted disk image in you Applications directory.

2. Install MLdonkey launcher. point it to MLdonkey folder in Applications.

3. From the script menu, select Launch_MLdonkey

4. go to http://localhost:4080 for web-based interface. hooray!

Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 01:10 AM

If you don't feel like using the web interface to start downloads and enable the additional networks (FastTrack, BitTorrent, Gnutella 1 & 2, ect...) I'd say wait until someone updates one of the GUIs. iHan, CocoDonkey (hasn't been worked on in awhile), and Donkey Controller, (very minimal) are all decent GUIs.

higuy83
Forum Regular
May 26, 2003, 02:54 AM

Anyone have a mirror for MLD Launcher? Can't seem to grab it off of VT (the link is dead). Thanks...

-Brian
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

mattmarshall
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 03:19 AM

you can the launcher off macupdate.com

but,t he directions posted here do not work for me

- matt

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 04:02 AM

If you don't feel like using the web interface to start downloads and enable the additional networks (FastTrack, BitTorrent, Gnutella 1 & 2, ect...) I'd say wait until someone updates one of the GUIs. iHan, CocoDonkey (hasn't been worked on in awhile), and Donkey Controller, (very minimal) are all decent GUIs.
How do you enable FastTrack, BitTorrent, etc via the web gui?

JB72
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 04:24 AM

Well I geuss I don't have any more excuses not to get MLDonkey setup now.

Btw, is there a trick to accessing an mlnet daemon on another networked machine via a browser?

mattmarshall
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 04:40 AM

yeah, i got the WEB gui working--but am not connected to fasttrack. how do i connect to it?

- matt

frates
May 26, 2003, 06:06 AM

to connect to fasttrack, first open the 1214 port in your firewall and forward it if needed on your router to your machine.

To enable fasttrack on mldonkey, click "options" in the web interface, then "all" in the subframe, and, at maybe the 15th line, there is "enable fasttrack". Switch that on "true"

To search for files, click "custom search", then "complex search" in the frame. Type in the field what you're searching for, and select fasttrack under the "misc" options. then launch the search

Results appear with the "search results" button. Clic all along the list that appears ( ), with a little luck something not too crappy will be downloaded soon

mattmarshall
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 06:29 AM

awesome, thanks

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2003, 06:45 AM

FastTrack on mldonkey won't be able to connect to the kazaa central servers, as they use an encrypted protocol. It's been able to do this for some time, hasn't it? giFT has always been able to do this... The stumbling point is the encryption, of course.

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2003, 09:18 AM

How does Kazaa lite (on the pc) overcome the encryption? I thought it was a third party clone? and if they can do it, surely some other developers can?

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 09:32 AM

kazaa lite is not a clone, i think they just took kazaa and hacked away at it.

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
FastTrack on mldonkey won't be able to connect to the kazaa central servers, as they use an encrypted protocol. It's been able to do this for some time, hasn't it? giFT has always been able to do this... The stumbling point is the encryption, of course.
They don't use KaZaA's server. They use the imesh server.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2003, 12:47 PM

sweet, works great

I use MlDonkey, the Donkey Controller Menu Bar Item and the Web GUI, it works great!

I also use iHan, seems to be the best GUI for the donkey but it is also buggy...

I stick mostly to the web GUI and at work I can access it and start new downloads, This is great!

Just a tip: you should forward port 4662 to your machine if you are behind a firewall so you can get better rates and able to connect more.

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 01:21 PM

Okay, I've installed MLDonkey, and then the Launcher. The launcher opens the terminal, quits, yadda. yadda.

I go to use the web-based UI, and I cna't connect to the server.

I open up iHan, and I get a connection error.

What am I doing wrong?

And whatever happened to all-inclusive apps?

JB72
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 02:18 PM

How do you configure which files you are sharing (uploads?)

raff67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 02:32 PM

what makes you say that ?

@JB72 , you are automatically sharing whats in your temp folder(what your DL�ng). and your automatically sharing finished downloads which go into the incoming folder
to control your upload speed, go into options, you will see max_hard_upload_rate, set it to 2/3 of your upload speed
( Last edited by raff67; May 26, 2003 at 02:48 PM. )
http://www.macdk.com/phpBB2/

raff67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2003, 02:54 PM

the developer has stated that he managed to break the encryption on the official support forum at macdk.com

JB72
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by raff67:

@JB72 , you are automatically sharing whats in your temp folder(what your DL�ng). and your automatically sharing finished downloads which go into the incoming folder
to control your upload speed, go into options, you will see max_hard_upload_rate, set it to 2/3 of your upload speed
OK Thanks. I'm going to try to figure out how to share from a different dir where I keep all my goodies. I might set up a server, but I'm not sure how that is different from just basic sharing.

I'm still having zero luck connecting to the web interface from a non-local machine. Anyone else have success?

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 07:37 PM

FYI, here is where to get all the mldonkey files you'll need. It's kept up to date and has most utilities mentioned in this thread.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 08:12 PM

If you watch, right as you turn on FastTrack, One of the connected servers will be
http://r2.imesh.com/

york28
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 09:35 PM

JB72, did yuo look through the prefs screens in the web interface? There is a setting for what IP's are allowed to acces the client. You may want to check that. It's set by default yo only allow the local machine to do so.
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

JB72
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by york28:
JB72, did yuo look through the prefs screens in the web interface? There is a setting for what IP's are allowed to acces the client. You may want to check that. It's set by default yo only allow the local machine to do so.
Yeh I've been playing with that, but so far it won't "take" any IP settings besides the default local (127.0.0.1.) I've tried semicolons and commas to add more IPs, to no avail. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

JellyBeen
Senior User
May 26, 2003, 10:24 PM

I wish someone could post a detailed step-by-step procedure.One that works in 10.2.6 and list also the exact versions of the two softwares needed. Need I remind anyone that some of us are not CS students..:-)
Thanks
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

JB72
Mac Elite
May 26, 2003, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by JellyBeen:
I wish someone could post a detailed step-by-step procedure.One that works in 10.2.6 and list also the exact versions of the two softwares needed. Need I remind anyone that some of us are not CS students..:-)
Thanks
A "MLdonkey for Dummies - Mac" step-by-step would be a great idea, but I'm the last person who should writing that. Hopefully someone else will.

The basic idea is to 1) get the MLdonkey service (aka "core") running on your computer. Then 2) access that service via your web browser or a specialized program to do searches, download, etc.

JB72
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by JB72:
Yeh I've been playing with that, but so far it won't "take" any IP settings besides the default local (127.0.0.1.) I've tried semicolons and commas to add more IPs, to no avail. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.
OK I got that working. You just have to be sure to hit enter/return after editing each line. So now we're in business baby. Before I could only connect from my server, which is in the closet (a lot like my uncle hehe,) and not very comfortable.

Adding shares is pretty easy. Now people can get my junk. Oh boy. I still wonder what turning on the server property actually does?

Next up, making mlnet start at boot so it can slave away for me 24/7 w/o missing a beat.

Is there any way to add password protection to the core?

ps - they really need to update that web interface to something more friendly looking.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by JellyBeen:
Thanks
There is a very complete FAQ which is kept up to date. Look here and look in that forum for all the info you need.

It is actually easy to set up once you do a quick reading of what is what.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 06:22 AM

I still wonder what turning on the server property actually does?[/i]
I think it makes you run as a server, like the ones you connect to for finding files, I think it is best to leave it off (for speed/congestion sake)

how did you add more IPs? just spaces or commas?

Thanks

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2003, 10:06 AM

That's my point. So it's not really KaZaA for Mac.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2003, 10:09 AM

the developer has stated that he managed to break the encryption on the official support forum at macdk.com
Oh yes? Where? A search for "kazaa AND encryption" yielded no results.

raff67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 10:48 AM

Oh yes? Where? A search for "kazaa AND encryption" yielded no results.
in the development section
"MLdonkey support for Kazaa has not yet been announced officially. But Kazaa may badly react to this by changing the encryption on their protocol, making mldonkey support obsolete.... until the new encryption system is broken. "
( Last edited by raff67; May 27, 2003 at 11:11 AM. )

raff67
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 10:53 AM

OK I got that working. You just have to be sure to hit enter/return after editing each line. So now we're in business baby. Before I could only connect from my server, which is in the closet (a lot like my uncle hehe,) and not very comfortable.

Adding shares is pretty easy. Now people can get my junk. Oh boy. I still wonder what turning on the server property actually does?

Next up, making mlnet start at boot so it can slave away for me 24/7 w/o missing a beat.

Is there any way to add password protection to the core?

ps - they really need to update that web interface to something more friendly looking.
turning the server on will do nothing, you cant actually run a server on mac mldonkey yet

for anybody wishing to run mldonkey its best to read the FAQ that Brazuca has linked to(its in the help section) and if you got problems ask in the macdk forum where we can help you better
( Last edited by raff67; May 27, 2003 at 11:01 AM. )

restbeckett
May 27, 2003, 04:10 PM

I'm new to this whole donkey thing and I have a few newbie questions:

1) When my downloads come to a standstill do i just let it be? Will it "get back up to speed" once more sources become available automatically?

2) after I cancelled a download, I clicked on Scan Temp and Recover Temp but nothing happened even though the files appear. The MD4 info is there, but no file name. Is that the problem? Where did the filename go?

Lastly, what the heck is MD4?

Thanx in advance.

Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 04:24 PM

That's my point. So it's not really KaZaA for Mac.
KaZaA = iMesh = Grokster
Take a look at the programs on windows they're near identicle.
KaZaA is just an interface on what people are really after, The FastTrack network (Which is owned by the KaZaA company [Sharman Networks] ) that has data counted in petabytes. But some people wouldn't have known what I was talking about if I had said FastTrack for Mac. I just thought that many here would find it interesting that we can now at least log in and download from the 2nd largest network of users on the net (Following only the WWW itself.)

Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 04:26 PM

in the development section
"MLdonkey support for Kazaa has not yet been announced officially. But Kazaa may badly react to this by changing the encryption on their protocol, making mldonkey support obsolete.... until the new encryption system is broken. "
They can't They have a binding contract with Grokster and iMesh that they will not change their network or change encryption.

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 04:33 PM

BTW, there is a nice MLDonkey widget for Konfabulator called Falabella.

It needs to be updated for the latest version of MLDonkey (it can't launch the core), but it will launch the web gui for you, show your current downloads, download/upload speed, and it can kill the mldonkey core.

Screenshot: http://konfabulator.deskmod.com/?sho...e&user=pterray

Download: http://konfabulator.deskmod.com/?downloadtw=27326

Brazuca
Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by restbeckett:
I'm new to this whole donkey thing and I have a few newbie questions:

1) When my downloads come to a standstill do i just let it be? Will it "get back up to speed" once more sources become available automatically?

2) after I cancelled a download, I clicked on Scan Temp and Recover Temp but nothing happened even though the files appear. The MD4 info is there, but no file name. Is that the problem? Where did the filename go?

Thanx in advance.
1) Yes. the speed of your download depends on users being online that have the file you need. If I log out, I cannot upload the file to you. But as other people log in, you'll see your speed increase. Just leave it running.

2) I'm not sure. This goes beyond my understanding of how mldonkey handles the file ID and the file itself. Take a look at the FAQ and forum I pointed to above. Ask there as the developer of mldonkey is always online.

Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by restbeckett:

Thanx in advance.
The File Name will return once it finds another source. MD4 is a way to verify that the file your about to download is really the one you want to download. When you download from eDonkey or OverNet (Which you appartently are), instead of asking for a filename, it asks for this code, which then it will download from multiple sources, and then name at the end of the transfer. When you cancel a transfer, you lose whatever name you started downloading with so all your left with is MD4 hash. I hope this confusing essay helps some.

carmine
Forum Regular
May 27, 2003, 06:27 PM

i have mldonkey running on my tibook, and checking and i can log into the web interface via my quicksilver, but how can i send a download link clicked on my quicksilver to the tibook? is this possible?

Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 06:55 PM

It IS possible, but I don't do it so, right now, I donno.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 06:59 PM

To control your Donkey Daemon from another client, type in the terminal:

ssh -L donkeyport:localhost:donkeyport [email protected]l

so I type:

ssh -L 4080:localhost:4080 [email protected]l

then you can access the webgui at - http://localhost:4080/ - on your remote computer.

The above is not my original work, but work it does.

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 27, 2003, 08:04 PM

MD4 is a way to verify that the file your about to download is really the one you want to download. When you download from eDonkey or OverNet (Which you appartently are), instead of asking for a filename, it asks for this code, which then it will download from multiple sources, and then name at the end of the transfer.
So all those files with an MD4 value of "0000000000000000000000000000" are okay to download, and not bogus or unavailable or some such?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

schep
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 09:53 PM

okay so i downloaded something, now where is that fng file

Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 09:54 PM

/MLdonkey 2.5/incoming/
or if MLDonkey think's it's not done,
/MLdonkey/temp/

Mac Elite
May 27, 2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
So all those files with an MD4 value of "0000000000000000000000000000" are okay to download, and not bogus or unavailable or some such?
Most likely, bogus.

schep
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2003, 09:58 PM

/MLdonkey 2.5/incoming/
or if MLDonkey think's it's not done,
/MLdonkey/temp/
i just have files with names like

9BCFCB9CDFACD70CE7646AAB3D72BA58

what are these?

edit: nm I just had to find the right one and change the file name

frates
May 27, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by carmine:
i have mldonkey running on my tibook, and checking and i can log into the web interface via my quicksilver, but how can i send a download link clicked on my quicksilver to the tibook? is this possible?
The best way to do that, is to right-click on the link you want, copy the ed2k link, and paste it in the field of the web interface (no matter if it's a remote or local interface). To get out of that tiny field, click the "!" next to the "execute" button , so that a bigger field appears in the subframe

a ed2k link looks like that :
ed2k://|file|name_of_the_file|size_of_the_file|MD4_identi fier|

Forum Links
Forum Rules