Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > XCode

XCode
clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 03:38 PM

http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/xcode.html

A lot of this looks very exciting. Especially the smart distributed compiling with Rendezvous and the predictive compiling.

The one not mentioned in the keynote but which sounds the coolest is the "smart playlist" equivalent for source code. From the web site:

Smart Groups for smart developers
Taking a cue from iTunes�s Smart Playlists, Smart Groups, a powerful new project organizer in Xcode, lets you view project files filtered by custom rules. Built-in Smart Groups include file types, targets, warnings and errors, executables, project symbols and find results. You spend less time chasing fugitive files and more time implementing valuable features.

Unfortunately no word on whether they improved interactive debugging. That was always the killer for me in both Codewarrior and Project Builder and is why I do most of my development on Visual Studio on a PC.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2003, 03:53 PM

This is what got my attention the most.
My desktop is a 500MHz G4, but it's got dual monitors. Now I'll be able to program on it, but distribute out to the imacs we have, and have the compile done much faster.
Of course, this won't be released until around a month after I start a programming class, so I won't have time to learn it, but, oh well.

Still, looks really cool.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 05:44 PM

Apparently there is a preview for XCode along with more feature discussions:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

gcc 3.1: Project Builder now provides support for building with the gcc 3.1 compiler, and gcc 3.1 is now the default compiler on Mac OS X, although gcc 2.95.2 is still provided. gcc 3.1 in many cases provides faster compile times (C++ code can take advantage of precompiled headers now), better code generation quality, and improved C++ support. Note that gcc3's new ABI requires recompiling all C++ libraries and frameworks.

MPW-inspired scripting: Project Builder now allows for execution of shell snippets inline in any text buffer within Project Builder, as well as customization of Project Builder's menu bar by adding new menus and menu items that invoke shell scripts when chosen.

Full-text documentation content searches: Batch Find now supports full-text documentation content searches with relevancy-ranked search results.

Debugger enhancements: Including formatting of values in the variable list, a View Variable in Window command, and a Watch Expression window.

Other features: Including a new target editor user interface, "Install" builds from the IDE using a build style, and other IDE and debugger improvements and fixes.
( Last edited by clarkgoble; Jun 23, 2003 at 08:36 PM. )

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 05:45 PM

(Dup deleted)
( Last edited by clarkgoble; Jun 23, 2003 at 08:36 PM. )

davecom
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 06:53 PM

Whenever I try to download GCC 3.3 Update for December Dev Tools, I get sent to some folder with a bunch of old Mac OS X builds and old developer tools. There is afile called GCC 3.3 Update that is dated to May.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 07:42 PM

Whether you�re writing your app in C, C++ or Java, scripting in AppleScript or looking to migrate code from another legacy tool, you�ll find that Xcode is as quick to forgive as it is to compile. Fast and easy does it every time.
No mention of Obj-C?
Please somebody tell me I'm being paranoid here...
you are not your signature

davecom
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Gametes:
No mention of Obj-C?
You're being paranoid. Far too many applications, developers, resources have been devoted to Objective-C for its elimination in preference for Java.

techtrucker
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 08:59 AM

I've been wondering about the omission of ObjC - I've spent a lot of time learning it! Maybe it's to sway the potential switcher, focus on languages they know?
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 09:09 AM

Not to worry, I don't think they'd abandon it that quickly (although 64bit Java could be very compelling).

Check this image:

You can see .m files in the list.

jarinteractive
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 11:29 AM

Check this out: http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

So don't worry! Objective-C will still be there. For some reason they just didn't mention it on the Panther preview page.

-JARinteractive

adamk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 12:52 PM

"Pricing & Availability
Xcode will be available in English and Japanese worldwide on September 15, 2003. All registered attendees at WWDC 2003 will receive a free copy of the Xcode preview release; Select and Premier ADC members will have access to the Xcode preview release through the ADC web site."

from Apple Introduces Xcode, the Fastest Way to Create Mac OS X Applications

too bad it won't be out for a while (at least for students)... sure would be fun to play with now.

adam
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" begins with yrself.

"He that fights for Allah's cause fights for himself. Allah does not need His creatures' help." -koran, the spider, 29:7

Gametes
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 01:35 PM

Ya, I've never been much of a pirate but I'm really itching for a copy of this to play around with.
such a nerd...

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 01:40 PM

There are some interesting reactions to this file somewhere on the BitTorrent network.....

Gametes
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 10:30 AM

I'd rather not install 10.3 on my Mac. The instructions for installing XCode say you don't have to have it, but running the installer says I need 10.3.
What is wrong?

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 01:28 PM

I'd rather not install 10.3 on my Mac. The instructions for installing XCode say you don't have to have it, but running the installer says I need 10.3.
What is wrong?
There are *2* XCode installers. One is for Panther, the other is for Jaguar. You need to get the Jaguar version for 10.2.

---gralem

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2003, 01:40 PM

No mention of Obj-C?
I haven't tested, but I believe that code sense "code completion" is not supported for obj-c in this release of xcode. I know it is not supported for java in this xcode release. So for the PREVIEW, there is less emphasis on those 2 languages. Supposedly the final will have the same features for all supported languages. (Except that distributed build for java may not be possible).

---gralem

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 04:46 PM

For those who figured out how to get Bit Torrent working...

How do the debug features in XCode work? My big complaint with Project Builder is that you lose your watch variables everytime you leave the debugger. I want persistent watch variables like Visual Studio offers. This is pretty much the main reason I still do 90% of my development on the PC.

Gametes
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by gralem:
There are *2* XCode installers. One is for Panther, the other is for Jaguar. You need to get the Jaguar version for 10.2.

---gralem
... he says after I use pacifist to install it all anyway . hmmm, maybe this is why XCode crashes after 30 seconds every time. Dang I'm screwed. lol, not really, I'll just overwrite it I guess.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 12:26 AM

Anyone test this much yet? I'm really interested in the distributed building stuff. The lab I work at has 20 G4's that go unused during the night. It would be cool to use all that power to build a bunch of CVS stuff.

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Thinine:
Anyone test this much yet? I'm really interested in the distributed building stuff. The lab I work at has 20 G4's that go unused during the night. It would be cool to use all that power to build a bunch of CVS stuff.
I'm doing all my work in it under the jag version. Takes some getting used to. Also, the Jag version keeps PB.

I have installed for panther to try out the new controller class (which is so cool). However, right now I'm probably going to stick to Jag until I get the hang of xcode, then move development to panther.
(BTW, you can "target" different Mac OS X versions in xcode)

Forum Links
Forum Rules