Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" PB Shipping delays again July 16th

15" PB Shipping delays again July 16th
mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 04:22 PM

Guaranteed to drive you nuts! :-)

3-5 on non-superdrive, 7-10 day delay on superdrive 15" powerBooks ... as of 4:20pm est

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 04:44 PM

LoL...how many months have your 15" AlBook dreamers been waiting now?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Sakino
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 04:52 PM

Umm since Decemeber. So that is 8 months.
GIVE ME MY 15 inch al

Esquare
Jul 16, 2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
LoL...how many months have your 15" AlBook dreamers been waiting now?
Exactly. It's really funny to see people predict the arrival of new PoBo's, based on the craziest rumors, and then blaming Apple when they "don't deliver". Perhaps they should try a raindance or something. It's pathetic.

Flash2000
Jul 16, 2003, 06:25 PM

I was waiting, but I gave in and went through with my 12" order today. I am very excited, and cannot wait for it. I hope to have it by the begining of next week. I maxed out everything.
Current Macs:
15" PB 1.5ghz G4, 512 mem, 80 HD, 128 vram
Dual 2.5 PM G5, 1.5 ram, 240 HD, 6800 GT
20" ACD
40 Gig iPod Photo

mrwalker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 06:29 PM

I gave in & my 17" arrived today. It's massive. I hope I get used to it soon - at the moment it feels just too conspicuous to use in public!

-mrwalker

PowerTower Fan
Jul 16, 2003, 06:36 PM

I'm almost happy they haven't come out with the new Al's yet. It just means my current TiBook isn't going out of date as fast.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
Guaranteed to drive you nuts! :-)

3-5 on non-superdrive, 7-10 day delay on superdrive 15" powerBooks ... as of 4:20pm est
Must be a glitch, cuz I don't see those delays when I am at the Apple Online Store.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 07:35 PM

We're looking at getting me a PowerBook at work, but I can't bring myself to order a current 15", 'cause it's like getting a 9-month-old system! It's already out-of-date!

I'm gonna hold off 'till the end of the month, and if nothing comes, break down and get the 17". It's just that that thing is so friggin' BIG!

Gah....Need...New...15"...PB....
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

bighill
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 07:48 PM

The current ti books have the kinks worked out, thats how I look at it.

2 seconds after the new 15's come out, there will be the "should I wait till rev B" threads. Too funny.

I always wait for the new models to come THEN I buy "yesterdays" model at a nice (in the case of my quicksilver, $1,000.) discount knowing the kinks have been worked out.

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
Must be a glitch, cuz I don't see those delays when I am at the Apple Online Store.
I wuz using the Education option ... 3 to 5 and 5 to 7 day delay ...

Bill With-iBook-In-Repair-For-The-Fourth-Time

Thank God for AppleCare!!!!

Pangasius
Jul 16, 2003, 10:39 PM

Sorry again but those so called old 15s are not out of date. Look guys its still the second newest how can you actually sit there and type and call it out of date. BS. It had DVI out which the 12 doesnt. Onlything it is missing is Bluetooth Built in, Airport X, and DDR Ram. Gese people give it a rest.

Mr6502
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 10:43 PM

give it up, if they were going to post a 15" update they would have done so before now, WELL BEFORE the start of fall quarter..

GEEEZZZ, when will this ever END?!?!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Esquare:
Exactly. It's really funny to see people predict the arrival of new PoBo's, based on the craziest rumors, and then blaming Apple when they "don't deliver". Perhaps they should try a raindance or something. It's pathetic.

I agree. It's Apple's own fault, though. By having predictable dates of product releases they have created a situation where people who want to make a purchase will wait six months to a year before doing so, and then rush to get the product once it's released. The result is a significant loss of revenue prior to new product releases and an inability to meet demand after the release.

The rest of the industry is much quieter about their releases and you rarely get customers speculating and waiting almost a year for the next Sony or Fujitsu laptop. Of course, Sony and Fujitsu don't have someone as hungry for attention as Steve Jobs ...

djjava
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 11:06 PM

this is the appropriate time for a moderator to take control and lock these threads about the 15" ALBook..... When it comes out, let loose, until then, shut your yaps.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Pangasius:
Sorry again but those so called old 15s are not out of date. Look guys its still the second newest how can you actually sit there and type and call it out of date. BS. It had DVI out which the 12 doesnt. Onlything it is missing is Bluetooth Built in, Airport X, and DDR Ram. Gese people give it a rest.
Yeah...those three things are indicative of the fact that the whole architecture is using last-generation technology.

Think about it. It's like buying a Quicksilver G4 (the last Power Mac to not have DDR RAM). Sure, it's not a bad machine, it's probably fast enough for most needs, but it's out-of-date, plain and simple.

If you buy a current 15" TiBook, you're getting a fine machine, but it's out-of-date before you open the box. Plain and simple.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Emeril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 11:24 PM

Agreed.

I'm really getting sick of these threads. WHO CARES WHEN THE NEXT POWERBOOKS ARE COMING OUT??? Everyone is banking on rumors. Apple will release the next revision of the Powerbook WHEN THEY ARE READY!!!! Leave them alone! A 9-month old TiBook model! Gracious the world is going to end!

GIVE IT UP PEOPLE.

I bet when the 15" AiBooks come out, we'll most definately see threads here such as 'Buy 15" or wait for Rev B 15"?'.

New & upcoming product releases are a (constant) fact of the computer industry. Get used to it. Stop posting tons of threads about the SAME thing.

Cheers.

Originally posted by djjava:
this is the appropriate time for a moderator to take control and lock these threads about the 15" ALBook..... When it comes out, let loose, until then, shut your yaps.
- Titanium Powerbook 867Mhz
- 3rd Generation 10GB iPod
- iSight

djjava
Senior User
Jul 16, 2003, 11:26 PM

you know... technically all the ibooks are out of date, yet those were mentioned as being part of the 46% of all Mac Sales. It is not about what is "out of date" or not, it's about what machine suits your needs. I bet the 15" TiBook suits many peoples needs, but some people crave more power. That's all.

If you realy, really want the power and speed etc. Get a PowerMac. otherwise, look at the current selection of Apple Portables, and PICK ONE!!
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Pangasius
Jul 16, 2003, 11:33 PM

You are like totally missing the point. Just because it is missing a few little things doesn't mean its out of date. Hell the Pismo isnt out of date either. Think about what you are saying man.

Let me give you a prime example of out of date.

USB and firewire were replaced and the 12 and 17 has like some better port system than the TI and every printer and all new devices use it. That my friend would be out of date.

My dad still happily uses a PowerMac G3 350 He has the money to buy a new computer. You know why he doesnt people. Let me tellyou why I admire my father because of this quality. He is happy with what he has. My mother finally got my dad to get a nice swivel chair to sit at in front of his computer. You want to know what he was sitting in all these years a freaken fold up chair. He is happy with what he has as long as it does the job. He doesnt always have to have the best, likethe G5. I might just go buy a TI now cause of all this crap and prove to you morons that it is a good machine still. I just can't believe you people you are ridiculious. I got to thinking and I might buy the TI now because its a fast machine with L3 cache and the only thing it doesnt have is airport extreme and built in bluetooth that I might not even use. The only reason why I wont now is because I have waited this long. In no way do I use the harsh terms you have used against the TI. My point is most of you seem to be all talk at this point and dont need a G5 PowerBook and from the way you guys have been talking you dont even deserve one.

Emeril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 11:39 PM

Everyone just makes it seem like it's a matter of human survival to have the latest -- it's crazy!! I happily purchased a new 867 TiBook a few days ago. Apple has amazing systems, it's too bad people just can't be happy with what they have / what's available.

There will ALWAYS be another product 'just around the corner'. I have no idea why people are so insistant on waiting, thinking that the current 15" lineup is either garbage (just because it's made of Titanium) or outdated.

You are like totally missing the point. Just because it is missing a few little things doesn't mean its out of date. Hell the Pismo isnt out of date either. Think about what you are saying man.

Let me give you a prime example of out of date.

USB and firewire were replaced and the 12 and 17 has like some better port system than the TI and every printer and all new devices use it. That my friend would be out of date.

My dad still happily uses a PowerMac G3 350 He has the money to buy a new computer. You know why he doesnt people. Let me tellyou why I admire my father because of this quality. He is happy with what he has. My mother finally got my dad to get a nice swivel chair to sit at in front of his computer. You want to know what he was sitting in all these years a freaken fold up chair. He is happy with what he has as long as it does the job. He doesnt always have to have the best, likethe G5. I might just go buy a TI now cause of all this crap and prove to you morons that it is a good machine still. I just can't believe you people you are ridiculious. I got to thinking and I might buy the TI now because its a fast machine with L3 cache and the only thing it doesnt have is airport extreme and built in bluetooth that I might not even use. The only reason why I wont now is because I have waited this long. In no way do I use the harsh terms you have used against the TI. My point is most of you seem to be all talk at this point and dont need a G5 PowerBook and from the way you guys have been talking you dont even deserve one.
- Titanium Powerbook 867Mhz
- 3rd Generation 10GB iPod
- iSight

Pangasius
Jul 16, 2003, 11:44 PM

Emeril couldn't of said it better myself.

Anyone that argues with what Emeril says is an absolute jack ass. I am using a iMac 600mhz and its plenty fast for me. Like I have stated though I need a laptop for college cause my handwriting blows. Boy Emeril I better wait and speculate about those new fangled G5 powerbooks that will most likely have tons of problems on rev A. Oh and I wont be happy when REv B comes out so OMG EBAY EBAY, better sell and buy the new. (sarcasm)

Face it you people will never be happy...

Well Said Emeril well said.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 12:48 AM

Reading all the crazy threads has helped me keep my resolve NOT to update my TiBook 1Ghz for a good, long time and try to get off of the upgrade bandwagon. That's an expensive place to live!

ZildjianKX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2003, 12:59 AM

I still think its dumb to run out and to buy a 8 month old computer unless you're doing so because its heavily discounted...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by ZildjianKX:
I still think its dumb to run out and to buy a 8 month old computer unless you're doing so because its heavily discounted...
I totally agree.

And further, I really agree w/ the post above that as soon as the 15" AlBooks are released, they'll be a thread called "Should I wait for Rev. B?!" Don't believe me? Look in the PowerMac section...as soon as the G5's were released ppl were already asking if they should wait longer for Rev. B...too funny.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

hart
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 10:26 AM

ok, I've got a keylime ibook so I'm feeling a serious pinch in performance.

But, yesterday I had the choice between going to Creative Pro and going to New York Kayak Company....

Well, I upgraded my kayak.

I got tired of the suspense. I'll be catching rev B of the 15" aluminum I suppose after I save up some more $$.

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 10:59 AM

Its really sad you guys don't get it. I will agree that yes for those who have waited 8 months which is close to a year would be silly to buy a 15 at this point. Although my point was the 15 is a great machine it has things the 12 doesnt have even though its missing Bluetooth built in and Airport extreme. Which isnt that bad at all. For me I have waited this long and will just continue to wait. Although I am not crying because apple didnt release what I wanted yesterday, Instead I am not surprised lol not surprised at all.

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 11:46 AM

... I am not crying because apple didnt release what I wanted yesterday, Instead I am not surprised lol not surprised at all. [/B]
Hey, I'm not "crying" either. Vis a vis my dualUSB 500 iBook, I just want a prettier, faster, (slightly) larger laptop ...
NOW!

Pangasius
Jul 17, 2003, 12:05 PM

if you dont have a reason a good oen to wait then just buy the TI now. So yes you are crying.

COME ON PEOPLE 5 PEOPLE HAVE TRIED TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU AND YOU STILL DONT GET IT!

mainemanx  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 03:21 PM

if you dont have a reason a good oen to wait then just buy the TI now. So yes you are crying.

COME ON PEOPLE 5 PEOPLE HAVE TRIED TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU AND YOU STILL DONT GET IT!
Boo hoo hoo, Pangasius doesn't understand me ... now I'm gonna have to go see my therapist ...

(P.S. Just got my iBook back from AppleCare ... so I'll be busy for awhile, as Apple did not xfer my files when they installed a new HD :-(

wilsonX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 03:55 PM

Here's an idea...just like you can change the channel on the tv if you don't like what's on...Don't go into these threads if they upset you so much. Because you spend an awful lot of time in these very same threads: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ost1481152</a>

Lets see, thats 31 total posts, with 29 of them being placed in the very same threads you say you are so sick of. Maybe you would just be a happier person if you changed the "channel"?

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 09:06 PM

Geez, buddy relax... while I agree that the TI is a very mature machine and many people just get something to have the latest thing out there, some people actually need an update to arrive because the current models don't offer what they need.

I'll give you two examples...

1) USB 2, Firewire 800: There a lot of external peripherals out there that use USB 2 and don't have a Firewire option. Firewire 800 is not very necessary at the moment, but the fact that it's supported gives the notebook a longer life span.

2) Speed : If you knew (based on observation/experience) that you were close to a product update and needed the machine for heavy-duty video editing on the go, then the slightest performance improvement matters. You would wait for the machine and discuss it with others.

Maybe the moderators can put up a 15" Albook speculation thread or sth like that to avoid sooo many similar threads about an unreleased product.

Anyways, g2g..
Doc Holiday

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I agree. It's Apple's own fault, though. By having predictable dates of product releases they have created a situation where people who want to make a purchase will wait six months to a year before doing so, and then rush to get the product once it's released. The result is a significant loss of revenue prior to new product releases and an inability to meet demand after the release.

The rest of the industry is much quieter about their releases and you rarely get customers speculating and waiting almost a year for the next Sony or Fujitsu laptop. Of course, Sony and Fujitsu don't have someone as hungry for attention as Steve Jobs ...
Actually, I think a predictable schedule would make for less stress all around. Car companies come out with new models every September. That doesn't seem to cause them any grief.

Suggestion:
January: Release really major updates, new formats.
April and September: Release smaller updates, fixes, speed bumps.

Some people buy a laptop when they need it. For example, when starting school or starting a new project or a new job. Others plan ahead for years to get a laptop. When making such a major purchase why take the model change into account. You could try to save money by buying the previous model at "close-out prices" or you could get the latest and greatest with the idea that you will get more use out of it before it becomes obsolete.

Actually, I think we are entering a time of stability for computer design. FW800, USB, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme seem to be all we'll need for quite a while. Faster FW might be coming in a couple of years.

As for the rest of the industry, who cares? Are there really people that speculate when the next grey Dell is coming out? Are there endless threads about whether or not to keep the cow motif at Gateway. I know people HAVE to use wintel machines. Does anyone really enjoy it?
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules