Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" Sleep Issues

15" Sleep Issues
RGB
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 03:00 AM

Hey all, this time I'm posting on behalf of myself and my 15" 1GHz TiBook. Every so often, when I close the lid to put it to sleep, something goes tragically wrong. When I open the lid and attempt to wake it from sleep, nothing happens. Further inspection reveals that the screen is not fully asleep. I can see my windows and whatnot at about a 5" opacity on the black screen, instead of having a normal, healthy, empty black screen. Nothing will wake it from sleep at this point except for a restart. This doesn't happen all the time, but once every week or two probably. Really kills my uptime. Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Thanks again in advance.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2003, 04:11 AM

Yeah. Same here from time to time. I have no idea what causes it.
Backup your Backup

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2003, 08:03 AM

I'm betting it's a bug in OS X itself..

Apple computers seem to not like sleep. I stopped doing it because I found that usually after a few hours when I came back to the computer I'd be greeted by a nice friendly kernel panic
Aloha

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Link:
I'm betting it's a bug in OS X itself..

Apple computers seem to not like sleep. I stopped doing it because I found that usually after a few hours when I came back to the computer I'd be greeted by a nice friendly kernel panic
Get your computer fixed... That's not normal.

The-Adept
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 10:49 AM

I haven't had any sleep issues with 15"-1Ghz PB. It has been rock solid.

Definitely send it in to get it checked out.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2003, 10:52 AM

I wouldn't just "deal" with that either...I use my 12" PB a bunch, and I ALWAYS end up closing the lid & putting it to sleep with lots of things open on the screen; it never fails to wake up just like I left it.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

chromos
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2003, 05:24 PM

I've had similar experiences. My normal routine is that I always wait for the white pulsing light that indicates sleep. If I don't see it, then I open the lid again. That's when I've seen the just-almost-black screen.

I used to immediately do a three-finger salute to restart, but I noticed that it would eventually sleep if I left it alone for a long time (perhaps 5 min or so)?

It hasn't done it in a while, and it always seemed to be assoc'd with instances when the PowerBook had lost sound (you know that old story).

PvD_45RPM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 11:07 PM

This sounds like an issue I have with my iBook. It occurs when my screen brightness is set to the lowest setting before I put it to sleep. When you wake it up from sleep the display is dimmer than the lowest setting usually is to the point that its almost black. So next time before you restart try knocking up the brightness. Hope this helps.

RGB  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2003, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by PvD_45RPM:
This sounds like an issue I have with my iBook. It occurs when my screen brightness is set to the lowest setting before I put it to sleep. When you wake it up from sleep the display is dimmer than the lowest setting usually is to the point that its almost black. So next time before you restart try knocking up the brightness. Hope this helps.
I keep my display at around the middle brightness setting, maybe a bit closer to the high end.

meem
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2003, 05:56 AM

I had a sleep issue where if it wasn't plugged in wand I left the lid open it just wouldnt go to sleep even though it was set to sleep after 15 min in energy settings. the screen would go black and all but in a an undetemined amount of hours (I would usually discover it happened when I woke up the next day) it would only go to sleep when battery level was so low that it was trying to save ram memory or some other such thing. one day when I had actually left it for a couple days and came back to it with to discover that the battery had completely gone to zero it seemed. the battery wouldn't even charge. I could use the computer with the cord still but was obliously worried. Then I , for the first time since nov 2002 when i got it I took out the battery took a " not knowing what I was even looking for gander" then put it back in. it started to charge and since then all the sleep issues have gone away. I'm actually finding that the battery meter in the menu bar is more acurate. only thing I can think of that may be the reason for my previous issues is that I may have not calibrated the battery correctly when I first got it. but i'm pretty harware clueless so who knows

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2003, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
Hey all, this time I'm posting on behalf of myself and my 15" 1GHz TiBook. Every so often, when I close the lid to put it to sleep, something goes tragically wrong. When I open the lid and attempt to wake it from sleep, nothing happens. Further inspection reveals that the screen is not fully asleep. I can see my windows and whatnot at about a 5" opacity on the black screen, instead of having a normal, healthy, empty black screen. Nothing will wake it from sleep at this point except for a restart. This doesn't happen all the time, but once every week or two probably. Really kills my uptime. Any similar experiences or suggestions?

Thanks again in advance.
I sometimes experience the same issue. However, I tend not to close the lid to put it to sleep, and instead hit the power key followed by S to sleep. Haven't had this problem in a while. Annoying I know, but I just put it down to a OS X bug. I also reset the PMU a while ago, can't remember if I've seen the problem since then though. If you look on Apple's discussion boards you'll see others with the same problem. I do hope it's not a hardware issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules