Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > I need some help with my latest idea

I need some help with my latest idea
Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 11:25 AM

I want to replace my VCR with a cheap digital recording system. (no TiVo is not an option) So I was thinking about getting a PowerMac 8600 or something like that. I will hook it up to my TV-set and use it as A kind of VCR. Would I be able to use a PowerPC 604e 200Mhz for encoding MPEG1 in real time to the hard drive ? And what PCI cards would I need ? Or can I use the built in video-in-out of the PowerMac 8600 ? And Would MPEG1 be sufficient for � VHS quality ? (I think so). I also want to hook it up to my amp tu use it as an MP3 player (or AAC, anyone know an AAC-decoder for OS9 or Linux ?). I'm a poor student so I don't have a lot of money so please keep the solution as cheap as possible No expensive FireWire Video to DV solutions etc.

A lot of questions I know
thanks in advance.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Would I be able to use a PowerPC 604e 200Mhz for encoding MPEG1 in real time to the hard drive ?
no. Toast has a pretty fast MPEG1 encoder, and I think a 400mhz G3 takes roughly 8x real time to encode with it. It might be fast enough to encode to DV in real time, but better would be to get a card that encodes to DV in hardware. But as long as you're getting a card and MPEG1 is good enough for you, get the EyeTV.

Powaqqatsi  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 05:04 PM

I don't need DV, and I don't want to invest in a solution like the EyeTV (for which I would need an extra USB PCI-card). The question about MPEG1 in my post was a stupid one forget about it . What I need to do is be able to capture TV in realtime onte my HD, And I need to be able to look at it afterwards (just like a VCR). Would using something like the Formac ProTV be good for that ? Can the Apple Video Player (don't know if that's the name, I know I had an app on my Performa 5300 that could capture video and I think it's was the Apple Video Player). I don't need an OSX solotion, good 'ol OS9 will do. OSX sucks comletely on a system like that. (or YDL or somethin like that, but drivers could be an issue).

Forum Links
Forum Rules