Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon LiDE 50 Scanner and USB 2.0 PBooks, G5's

Canon LiDE 50 Scanner and USB 2.0 PBooks, G5's
PeterKG
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 07:36 PM

This scanner will not work on a newer Mac with USB 2.0. It will only work with USB 1.0.

I have been able to use it on my new PB through a Belkin 1.0 USB hub. It will work then.

Canon is aware of the problem and are investigating so they can update drivers. They were kind and concerned on the phone, and seemed to have good Mac tech support.

I'm posting here because the new PBooks and G5 Towers only have USB 2.0.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

erise
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 11:58 AM

At Canon's download page for the LiDE 50 they now have an updated driver that was posted 10-21-03 that says it works with USB 2.0 on Macs. I'm looking at getting one of these scanners to use with an iBook G4. Can someone please confirm that the updated drivers are working with USB 2.0 ports? Thanks.
MacEmu - The best Mac Emulation Website

PeterKG  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by erise:
At Canon's download page for the LiDE 50 they now have an updated driver that was posted 10-21-03 that says it works with USB 2.0 on Macs. I'm looking at getting one of these scanners to use with an iBook G4. Can someone please confirm that the updated drivers are working with USB 2.0 ports? Thanks.
Yes, Canon quickly jumped on updating the driver to work with USB 2.0 Macs and it does. This is a great scanner. The footprint is small. Be sure to install the Canoscan Software first, then the driver second as is recommended.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

erise
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 02:03 PM

Great! Looks like I'll be getting one for Christmas.

The software included with this scanner is great... Photoshop Elements 2 alone costs almost as much as the scanner, which comes with it.
MacEmu - The best Mac Emulation Website

mint9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 07:15 PM

hi! I'm keen to get the Canon LiDE 50 but am not sure if my iBook is USB 1.0 or 2.0. Does it matter? I bought my 700Mhz iBook in Aug 2002.

Also, I'm wondering about the 'power through the USB connection' capability, I've read about people complaining that it takes forever to scan anything that way. Is that true?

appreciate all comments! thanks!

Cellery
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by mint9:
hi! I'm keen to get the Canon LiDE 50 but am not sure if my iBook is USB 1.0 or 2.0. Does it matter? I bought my 700Mhz iBook in Aug 2002.
Your machine has a USB 1.1 port, with a maximum speed of 12 mbps. In my experience, my Canon LIDE scanner doesn't work a ton faster over USB 2.0, so it's not a huge deal. It will definitely work with your machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules