Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Oh, s4!t! 10.2.8 mouse won't work (iMac)

Oh, s4!t! 10.2.8 mouse won't work (iMac)
chadcole26
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 06:16 PM

My father upgraded his iMac 17" to 10.2.8 yesterday with the current download. His iMac boots up and seems to run fine, it's just that his pointer won't respond to mouse movements.

I booted it into single user mode and ran fsck. I booted it into safe mode and the mouse/pointer works fine. Reboot into regular 10.2.8 and the pointer won't respond.

He's using the apple mouse and it's plugged into the keyboard. The computer appears to recongnize the keyboard, because I can tab through all the icons and open folders and applications.

Any ideas on how to get the mouse to work again.

chadcole26  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 08:43 PM

update:

Version of update was the latest. I had downloaded it on my high speed internet and burned to disc for my dad to use.

Dad called Apple. The tech told him that burning the update to CD had corrupted it and that he'd have to Archive and Install 10.2 and then download the update himself.

Does that sound like a load of crap to anyone else?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2003, 11:53 AM

10.2.8 just sucks...alot of people are having issues with it so i wouldn't be surprised if its the update that screwed up your imac. i'd say go back to 10.2 and then to 10.2.6

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Paul Stephen C.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 05:43 PM

I had my pointer freeze twice tonight, having downloaded 10.2.8 a couple of days ago. I use an MS wireless Intellimouse, but it wasn't a mouse related problem. The keyboard was paralysed too (no emergency restart possible). I tried everything, but with no input device being seen, I tried to switch off. No luck there either, so reluctantly I had to pull the power cable out.

I 've had my IGhz G4 iMac since it came out in April, I think it was, and this is the first "crash". I'm really disappointed, as I had come to believe the "doesn't crash" hype.

In a way I hope it's a 10.2.8 problem, so it can be easily fixed or replaced with 10.2.6, or Panther. But as I say, it's a disappointment, and I'll be wary of Panther!
"The best lack all conviction,
while the worst are filled with a
passionate intensity" (Lou
Reed's version of a Yeats quote)

Forum Links
Forum Rules