Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple's Automated And Online Repair Status Less Than Useless?

Apple's Automated And Online Repair Status Less Than Useless?
mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 10:55 AM

The Apple Repair Facility has had my 15" AL for three days, Wednesday through Friday.

Online Repair Status says, "No data available."

Automated Telephone Repair Status says something to the effect that, "It's in process, everything is normal, but it hasn't been received by the Repair Facility."

Talking directly to a Repair Representative, "It has been received. Repair has been started. A heat sink has been replaced. They are waiting for a replacement LCD panel. The facility receives shipments every day. The repair will be completed in a timely manner." This after first being told they had a definitive fix for the white spots, and that I should promptly send it in.

Everyone's been very cordial, but they: (a) shouldn't say return it when they don't have sufficient replacement inventory, (b) keep their automated and online status reporting up-to-date.

What's been your experience?

Note: Also posted on Apple's Powerbook FW 800 Usage Discussion board.
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Quinn
Oct 24, 2003, 11:39 AM

They had my TiBook for over TWO MONTHS waiting for a replacement screen. The screen was useable, but needed replacement. I would have held onto it if I was told there was a delay, but was not given a choice.

Good luck.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 12:17 PM

I had an iBook that stayed at Apple for a week waiting for a new Airport antenna. Sometimes when I used the web-based info system, I got actual information (like a confirmation that the unit was recieved by them), but the other half of the time I got no information. It's like they had two separate systems, one which works and one which didn't.

I found that I got the informative system more often when I typed the URL that the recorded message gives you when you first call Apple support, and I almost always struck out when I used the "support" tab at Apple's website, or when using the "my support" page. I think it's kind of embarassing that a company that sells Web Server hardware and software can't make a consistent web application.

Incidentally, they never established what the hold-up was until the repair was officially a week old and I started to make a fuss. Then the repair order was "escalated" and completed later that day (a Thursday). It was quite a coincidence that the part came in right when I started making a fuss, wasn't it?

However, it was completed too late to go out in Thursday's Airborne pickup, and shipped on Friday. Even though the order was "escalated", they didn't want to approve Saturday delivery on it, so I had to wait until Monday to recieve it. Bummer.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2003, 12:20 PM

last sunday i dropped my al 15 off at the apple store. they shipped it to the service center for me on monday. my experiences with the automated phone line and website have been the same as yours.

the reps at apple care have told me that the screens have been on back order for over a week and they do not know when they'll be getting the replacement screens in. however, they do get parts on a daily basis and mine will be returned to my loving hands as soon as possible.

in addition to the white blotches on my screen my powerbook hard drive will not appear on another machine while in target disk mode and i am not able to get it to start up from a cd (ie. disk warrior v.3). apple care has informed me the logic board in my machine has already been replaced and that should correct these problems.

now the big release of panther has arrived and my copy should be waiting for me when i get home. problem is my friggin' computer isn't here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules