Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Shape Shifter is NOT working for me.

Shape Shifter is NOT working for me.
TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 07:44 PM

Shape Shifter will not load any themes (even the ones that it came with).

I re-installed Mac OS 10.3 today and uninstalled Shape Shifter and then installed it again.

I did exactly what it said. I logged out. (which didn't work) so I restarted (still nothing).

So then I decided that I probably had bad preferences. So I deleted those. Now it says my Shape Shifter Demo is expired. What gives?

Can someone please help me?

I wanna use it again!

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 07:56 PM

There were issues with the first version posted this morning. When did you download it? You might want to do so again, then see if the new download works.

Are the previews working at least?

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 08:04 PM

The Previews are not working. It says it's installing and then I see plain old Aqua again.

I just bought the program so that I could use it and it still doesn't work. I am sad.

I got it before it was posted on Unsanity.com... Could that be the problem?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 08:07 PM

Yup, the first package had an old version of APE in it. Even though you were the first with it, you got a lemon , save it as a collectors item maybe

-Owl

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
The Previews are not working. It says it's installing and then I see plain old Aqua again.

I just bought the program so that I could use it and it still doesn't work. I am sad.

I got it before it was posted on Unsanity.com... Could that be the problem?
First of all you might want to download it again as you may have downloaded the faulty version.

Second of all. Why in godsname did you pay for it when the app didn't work for you? There is a reason why there is a 15 day trial period you know?

milhouse
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 08:24 PM

It hosed my 10.3.1 install. I downloaded the latest version, this evening.
Reverted to Aqua, logged out and back in. Aqual is fine.
Started Shapeshifter, applied SS theme, rebooted and none of my apps would launch. Rebooted again and got a blue screen.

Single user mode got stuck at a "partial CL".

Doing an archive and install.

Ugh.
"-Dodge This"

quandarry
Nov 18, 2003, 08:31 PM

man, i don't understand it...i do things to my system that i wouldn't do to an enemy and in what 3 years of x i've never hosed it...

ok, knock on wood....now it'll prolly happen soon!

edit: ok, a cupla times i got the blue screen of death but i just went in and replaced the extras rsrc. most times i think people just think it's completely hosed but isn't really.
( Last edited by quandarry; Nov 18, 2003 at 08:42 PM. )

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 08:53 PM

Strange how most people have had little or no problems.
click one

milhouse
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 09:16 PM

Yep. Strange. I've themed in the past with themechangers and thought this would be cake.

An archive and install worked fine to "restore my OS. I installed Ape1.4.1 and rebooted. All was well. I then applied the 10.3.1 update and once again, couldn't get to my desktop. (bluescreen only with a mouse cursor). When I tried to use the command, option and esc keys, the dialogue box came up with the Finder in it but it was flashing like it was trying to launch but couldn't .

Single user mode running fsck -f found errors and fixed them.

But still no desktop for me.

Edit: when I restored aqua using themechanger, I had previously replaced the aqua in TC with Max's aqua restore.

I read something about a local resource getting fscked up in theming but it's odd that there were no problems till I used SS. Must be some other incompatibility with an app on my system...
( Last edited by milhouse; Nov 18, 2003 at 09:22 PM. )
"-Dodge This"

lenox
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 09:19 PM

I installed it just now, and it says 'demo version expires today. I can preview themes, but cannot 'apply' them (the button is greyed out).

Oh well...

TheSpaz  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2003, 09:21 PM

I've got it working. I did have the earliest version. Like I said... I was the first one to grab this download (before it was announced today) and I had problems using it.

I have the correct one now and it works great. It's the nicest way to appy your favorite themes. I can't wait for Aluminum Alloy now.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
I installed it just now, and it says 'demo version expires today. I can preview themes, but cannot 'apply' them (the button is greyed out).

Oh well...
Try and log out and in

-Owl

zboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by lenox:

Oh well...
I had that problem too...after a login and logout and restart and what not..

Turns out, I couldnt get the 'apply' button to active until I manually selected a radio button myself...

lenox
Senior User
Nov 18, 2003, 09:28 PM

I logged out when it told me to. I also restarted after posting that last message.

Same thing this time. However, I did find something cool in my frustration...If you have a scrolly wheel mouse, click 'about'....and as the credits scroll by, go nuts on your scroll wheel...hehe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules