Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Stay away from Powerlogix

Stay away from Powerlogix
chadcole26
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 12:23 PM

Over the past several years I've used these forums as a vast source of information from which I can glean all the know how and gather info on my Macintosh. Today, I'm posting a letter that I emailed to every Powerlogix email address listed on their website with the request that they make sure the company president sees it. For those who may be searching for upgrade info, I hope this can help save someone else from suffering my same misfortune.

"To whom it may concern,
I first purchased my Dual 1.2GHz Upgrade card (for a 133Mhz Digital Audio G4) back in February of 2003. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the upgrade I received was actually clocked at 1.333Ghz and expressed my thanks and praise at the upgrade review site www.xlr8yourmac.com. Since that time though, things have taken a decided turn for the worse.

Late in the spring I began to have serious problems with my Mac. Kernel panics were routine, as well as system freezes and applications that would quit with no warning. At the time, I figured this had to be a problem with some piece of software that I had installed or upgraded. I spent several months living with the problems while trying to trouble shoot the problem from a software perspective. In early August I was surfing the Powerlogix website and noticed that CPU Director was available. I downloaded it and installed it. To my surprise, when I ran CPU Director it showed no Level 3 cache on my Powerlogix upgrade card. I contacted technical support and was issued an RMA. I sent my upgrade card back to Powerlogix expecting a quick return.

Much to my dismay, it took more than 5 weeks for a replacement to arrive. I finally received a replacement on September 10 or 11th. I installed the new card and things seemed to be OK. Four days later, I booted the computer up and nothing happened. I tried rebooting many times and got nothing but a blank screen, or sometimes gray, sometimes black, and sometimes a partial boot with a freeze before the login window could come up. Again, I contacted technical support and was issued another RMA (RMA XXXX). I sent my upgrade card back dreading another long wait for a replacement. In the mean time, I've had to replace the upgrade card with an Apple 466Mhz processor (which the computer runs perfectly with, just slowly compared to the upgrade) that I purchased on eBay (having sold my original 733 card when I received the Powerlogix upgrade.)

At this time I've been without my $1,000+ upgrade for almost 5 full months. I've contacted technical support several times over the past 2 months only to be told that they are waiting for replacement product "that should be delivered next week." Next week has come and gone more times than I care to count at this point. I'm a public school teacher and I use my Macintosh to moonlight on small video and photography projects to make some extra money. I've had to turn down several projects over the past few months due to the fact that I knew I wouldn't be able to complete them in a timely manner having to use an older processor. The processor upgrade that was supposed to pay for itself and help me supplement my income has now cost me extra money.

In my opinion, this is the worst type of customer service. When I purchased this processor, there was an implied responsibility on the part of Powerlogix to provide a certain level of quality support for the purchase for a specified period of time. It is evident to me that Powerlogix has dropped the ball in providing this support. Reading through user forums at various sites shows me that I'm not the only person in this position. I feel for them and can assure you that I will never purchase another, or encourage any other person to purchase, a Powerlogix upgrade product. The product itself is great, when it works. When it doesn't, the walls begin to crumble and the company's reputation becomes seriously tarnished.

I spoke with another technical support person today(XXXXXXX), and was assured that my replacement card should be available next week. I'd welcome the surprise of an actual delivery.

Sincerely,
Chad A. Cole"

Please note that I've XXX'd out the RMA number and the name of the technical support person that I've spoken with.

Under different circumstances I'd give the CPU a higher rating, but the company gets a 0 for customer service. I'll gladly accept the new replacement when/if it arrives. But if I have further problems, I'm cutting my losses and just upgrading to a new Mac. Good news for Apple, bad news for Powerlogix.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2003, 12:39 PM

Have you ever tried Newer Technology processor upgrades?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 16, 2003, 12:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope everything works out for you soon.

boots
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2003, 12:52 PM

I've had problems with them too. I bought a dual 1 Ghz upgrade from them when they first came out (from MacMall). I had a variety of kernal panics, etc. So they told me to turn off the L3 cache. This fixed most of the problems, but it would still give the occasional kernal panic.

So I contacted them again, and they told me to send it in. They fixed the problem by installing another power lead to the CPU (via one of the internal device plugs).

Got it back...looks good. running fine with L3 cache enable...oops - system shut down. Tried it again. Figured out that if it was just sitting there, it was fine. But if you tried to do anything, the computer would physically power down.

Talked to the rep again...says the card is drawing too much power and I need to get a larger power supply. Problem is that I can't get one for my Gigabit model. I have the biggest they make for that board.

Several months passed while we were tinkering with it, now find it is unusable with my model of computer. Too late for a refund from MacMall, PowerLogix won't touch it since it was not purchased directly from them.

Shortly after, the disclaimer that it wouldn't work with gigabit machines appeared.

So, screwed! to the tune of $1000.

PowerLogix has lost my respect.

If Heaven has a dress code, I'm walkin to Hell in my Tony Lamas.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2003, 01:22 PM

I just recently got an 800 MHz upgrade from Sonnet. So far I've been VERY happy with it. No problems. Simple to install. Compared to the 450 I had in there my Machine is MUCH faster.

Sorry to hear about your Problems have you tried Sonnet or Giga designs?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2003, 01:26 PM

Thats funny. Powerlogix has been great for me.

I received every replacement processor within 2 weeks (totalling 3) without problems, until I finally wound up with their new 7457 lineup.

That sucks for you, but powerlogix has been great to me. I certainly wouldn't discredit them based on your one inconvenience.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by bimmerphile:
Thats funny. Powerlogix has been great for me.

I received every replacement processor within 2 weeks (totalling 3) without problems, until I finally wound up with their new 7457 lineup.

That sucks for you, but powerlogix has been great to me. I certainly wouldn't discredit them based on your one inconvenience.
Conversely, the fact that they treated you well doesn't excuse their behavior with the two examples posted above. I will certainly not do business with them.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2003, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Conversely, the fact that they treated you well doesn't excuse their behavior with the two examples posted above. I will certainly not do business with them.
Agreed, however, the multitude of positive reviews at the xlr8yourmac.com CPU upgrade database speaks for itself.

chadcole26  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by bimmerphile:
Agreed, however, the multitude of positive reviews at the xlr8yourmac.com CPU upgrade database speaks for itself.
As I stated in the letter above, I was one of those positive reviews on xlr8yourmac.com, until I started having problems. My main complaint is with the company itself and not the product. I've done my research and there is conclusive evidence out there to show that many people (approaching hundreds?) have had this type of problem with Powerlogix.

If a company can't provide rapid replacement of their product when failures occur, they need to be more forthright with their customers than to keep passing the buck to their supplier or making empty promises about delivery dates.

I have purchased updates from Sonnet and OWC in the past, all with good results and no quality control problems. That being said, I never had to return a product, so I can't really comment on their customer service.

Chad Cole

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2003, 03:24 PM

agreed

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by chadcole26:
As I stated in the letter above, I was one of those positive reviews on xlr8yourmac.com, until I started having problems. My main complaint is with the company itself and not the product. I've done my research and there is conclusive evidence out there to show that many people (approaching hundreds?) have had this type of problem with Powerlogix.

If a company can't provide rapid replacement of their product when failures occur, they need to be more forthright with their customers than to keep passing the buck to their supplier or making empty promises about delivery dates.

I have purchased updates from Sonnet and OWC in the past, all with good results and no quality control problems. That being said, I never had to return a product, so I can't really comment on their customer service.

Chad Cole
Well, I'll agree with you there. The only reason I got one of the 7457's is because I bitched when they said there'd be a 2-month wait (which from what I understand is tehir suppliers fault, as if it makes a difference to the end-user). Conveniently, someone lost their job/they had an extra and sent it to me.

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 10:30 PM

Powerlogix was fairly quick and businesslike with my Pismo upgrade. I had a tech question answered within a day, and the whole project (buy, they mail an envelope, send it in, they swap CPUs, mail the upgraded daughtercard back) took 10 days, as promised.

I had problems with my Pismo later, but they all resulted from my sudden interst in changing the internal layout to deal with all the heat from the upgrage
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 10:01 AM

I lost around $499 for the Lombard G4 upgrade, BlueChip LS 500Mhz G4. I ordered it from Powerlogix Europe, and then didn't actually hear anything from them for about 4 weeks. mailed them and was told that they had not ordered enough cards and were waiting for more from Powerlogix mothership. After yet another month or so I aksed what the hell was happening and was told by the boss of Powerlogix Europe, who sounded furious, that Powerlogix headquarters were giving no fixed date. He then said I could wait or get my money back. I opted for my money back, which I never got (and Powerlogix Europe soon dissappeared altogether). Throughout this time I had also been in contact with Powerlogix headquarters and they put the blame on Powerlogiy Europe for not having ordered enough cards.

Simply great, isn't it. They won't get my business again.

P.S. I also noticed that many people complained about just how fragile the BlueChip upgrades were. One spot of paste too much or too little and the thing would not work.
weird wabbit

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2003, 11:15 AM

I'm very happy, so far, with my Powerlogix G3 900 upgd in my B&W. Only time will tell...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules