Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Dodgy hd in 700 mHz iMac??

Dodgy hd in 700 mHz iMac??
dice
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 05:38 PM

Hi

I have what I suspect is a hard drive issue.

I have just been lent(for the next 6 months) a 700MHz slot-loading iMac. It had 10.2 installed and when I turned it on it took ages to boot up and login. So I zeroed the drive in preparation for 10.3 and proceeded to install it when the machine restarted after the first CD I got a kernel panic before it got past the Apple logo.

At this point I went hmm and booted into the Apple diagnostic CD, it gave an error when it checked Mass Storage but when I restarted and ran the test again it said it was fine.

I then tried to boot off a OS9 CD and it took ages, it got to the desktop with the menubar and clock but nothing else, it sat here for a long time until eventually it finished starting up. I tried to test the HD from on of the utilities but it said 'could not read disk!'. Is it possible a dying hard disk could affect booting from CDs??

Again I went hmm and zapped the PRAM and again zeroed the data (from the OSX CD) and tried to install panther again but near the end of the first CD I got a message saying 'Installation failed for some reason'.

I ran the Apple diagnostic CD again and it passed all the tests in the Extended Test but gave an error in the Quick Test for mass storage, the error was:
ata 1/6/8 HD:2,0

So what do you think? Do you reckon I should try and change the HD, i don't feel like forking out money if I don't have to. Would a 7200rpm be OK in it?

thanks for any help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules