Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 333 MHz iMac on AirPort Extreme network

333 MHz iMac on AirPort Extreme network
dbeth77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2004, 07:04 PM

Hello all! You seem to be a smart bunch; hopefully you can help me with this problem that has me pulling my hair out.

Here is all that I am attempting to set up to my network:

iMac G4 800 MHz running 10.3.3 (Airport card installed)
iBook (Dual USB) 500 MHz running 10.3.3 (Airport card installed)
333 MHz Blueberry (Rev. C?) tray-loading iMac running 10.3.3
PlayStation 2

I just got an Airport Extreme Base Station (Dual Ethernet) and have the iBook, iMac G4, and PS2 (through the extra port) all running smoothly on the network. The darned Blueberry beast is giving me headaches, though.

I bought a Motorola Wireless Ethernet Bridge (model WE800G) and brought it home, feeling really safe about it working since it specifically said it works with Macs and HAD A PICTURE OF A PERSON USING AN iMAC ON IT.....shoulda gone with the WET11 (arrgh!!)

Anyways, I can't get the thing to get a signal from the base station or something (i.e.....do ANYTHING with it; internet, mail, etc.). Since the disc that comes with it is PC only, I have to do the web configure. So, I go to System Pref -> Network -> Ethernet and switch it to MANUAL and set the iMac's IP to 192.168.30.10 so it can communicate with the bridge (IP = 192.168.30.1). No problemo.....wrong!

I scan for networks and it "sees" my AirPort network, so I type the name is exactly like it should in the SSID; do the 128-bit encryption and enter the hexadecimal passphrase and restart the machine. No luck.

I've tried to manually set the two things (bridge and iMac) to this:

Bridge:

IP: 10.0.1.4
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.1.1

iMac: (MANUALLY configured IP)

IP: 10.0.1.xxx

Do I have to do something with DNS? I also swtiched my Airport base station to Channel 11 since that's what it looked like my bridge was on. Still no dice!!!

Is anyone familiar with this model??? I only have one ethernet cable coming in to the house and it's going straight into the the Base Station. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching these boards going back into threads from early 2003 for any help; they've given me an idea where to go, but now I'm at a brick wall. Thank again folks!!!

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 19, 2004, 05:48 PM

I've read reviews about the WE800G and none of them have been good. If you must have wireless I would get the Dlink DL-122 USB wireless adapter for your iMac. You can get more info here http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DWL-122

It's 802.11b 11mbps only so file transfer will be very slow but internet works. It works with Mac OS X 10.2 (with drivers provided by Dlink) and Mac OS X 10.3.2 or later without drivers.

I would take the WE800G back and get your money back if you can or sell it on Ebay to someone who will pay twice as much for it
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

John Strung
Senior User
May 20, 2004, 09:26 AM

If your Mac has a fixed IP address, you have to put the IP addresses of your ISP's primary and secondary Domain Name Servers into the Domain Name Server box (in your OS X Network Prefs) or the Name Server Addr. box (in OS 9's TCP/IP control panel.)

dbeth77  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2004, 09:18 PM

Well, I was about ready tomorrow to head out and buy the D-Link adapter like was mentioned before and return the ol' Motorola, but decided to take one last look at it tonight. I've taken a couple days off from looking at it just to clear my head and hopefully make my head clear up. I'm glad I did....I'm posting from the old 333 right now!!!

Here's what I did....nothing remarkable, but I think I tried a combination that I hadn't tried before. I configured the bridge like I had done what seemed like hundreds of times before, but tried a little something different. Here's the changes in a nutshell:

-set my iMac IP MANUALLY to 192.168.30.10 so I could configure the bridge
-logged into the bridge configuration setup thinger
-got the SSID configured
-Pass Key enabled (128-bit)
-typed the hexadecimal password equivalent
-got on the same channel (11) just in case
-went into the 'Control Panel'
-switched to configure by DHCP
-clicked 'Apply' and got confirmation it worked
-restarted the bridge

-in the meantime; went back into System Prefs -> Network -> Ethernet and waited for the bridge to restart. After it did, I switched the Ethernet pref back to "by DHCP" and waited......

BOOM!!!

went to the 169.xxx.xx.xx for a second, but then it 10.0.1.5!!!! I was on!!!

No real big problems since; I can't receive my iTunes shared library *yet*, but I'm working on that slowly. I can log in to my other computers on the network and surf the 'net and get e-mail.

Again, thanks for the help! That D-Link was looking like my answer until I gave it one last shot tonight. Hooray!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules