Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes 4.5's Join Feature, now I�m cranky

iTunes 4.5's Join Feature, now I�m cranky
spatterson
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 07:02 PM

I have a large selection of chillout cd's that were imported before 4.5. Now that its here.... I want to "Join Tracks" so I can remove the 1 sec gap between tracks. However I can't do this withoiut re importing the cd. Come on guys at apple... make it a bit easier for us... does anyone know a way to get around this and join a cd without re importing?

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 07:59 PM

If you mean "Join CD Tracks", that option has been there since iTunes 3 IIRC, and no I don't think you can do it with the ripped tracks, as they're no longer 'CD tracks' I suppose.

It's not really ideal anyway, as it makes two tracks into one MP3 or whatever, so you have to listen to both really - the only time I've found it really useful is when there are <1 minute sort of intro tracks.

If you mean something else ... I haven't heard about it.

spatterson  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 08:50 PM

Ahhh... So it makes one file... this makes since now. Can you still change songs if you join a cd?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 10:43 PM

No. It makes one file with no track designations...

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jun 3, 2004, 10:45 PM

Not that I know of - that's why I don't think it's that useful. Unless you know where on the track progress bar the next song starts, it's often not worth it. It would be an interesting idea to have the ability to put tabs on the progress bar for tracks ... hmmm. Except of course that then shuffling would have to be only by album, or it would have to be very complicated!

Anyway, yay 200 posts ... oh well, it doesn't feel much different .

saltines17
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 01:43 AM

The only thing I've ever used it for is when CD tracks aren't cut the way I like, I import the album as one long, joined AIFF file and edit to my liking.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2004, 10:50 AM

There may be something in the works to do this... (not from Apple)

lenox
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 12:27 PM

If you just want to play the songs without any gaps on your computer, enable 'crossfade playback' and set it to the lowest setting.

if you want to burn these tracks to be totally gapless, you'll have to use toast or something

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
If you just want to play the songs without any gaps on your computer, enable 'crossfade playback' and set it to the lowest setting.

if you want to burn these tracks to be totally gapless, you'll have to use toast or something
Couldn't you also set it up in iTunes? I know the burning option in Prefs allows you to burn with no pause. It would then make it continuous wouldn't it?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2004, 12:53 PM

Boys and girls, I just had to get permission from the program's author to make it public.

The answer to your problems:

Rejoiner

ReJoiner is meant to join/merge the tracks of one folder to one single track. You can also use it for joining chapters or other audio tracks.
Audio file types supported by now: mp3, m4a, aif, wav. The result will allways be a mp3 file.
Its working through two levels of folder hierarchy.

The file- and the resulting tracknames are taken from the folders enclosing them. So you have a convenient way to name them properly just by renaming the folders before rejoining them.

For getting the desired order the tracks must be named/numbered in the desired way. By now the application will determine the correct order only by the filenames! So you have to check this.
-s*

saltines17
Senior User
Jun 4, 2004, 01:27 PM

That looks quite nice, but why not export to an AIFF instead of an Mp3?

And, for whatever reason, iTunes's "zero gap" setting doesn't burn DAO, so there's still a skip between tracks

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by saltines17:
That looks quite nice, but why not export to an AIFF instead of an Mp3?
Because there would be no advantage whatsoever gained?

Why would you want this?

-s*

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Because there would be no advantage whatsoever gained?

Why would you want this?

-s*
To avoid quality loss from re-encoding to MP3. I assume there must be from the way you described it. Is there no way to merge files losslessly?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2004, 04:58 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
To avoid quality loss from re-encoding to MP3. I assume there must be from the way you described it. Is there no way to merge files losslessly?
Ah, I see.

You mean, merge *non-mp3* files losslessly.

Good question.

Suggest it? (His email address is on the page.)

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules