Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Internet Connect and the wrong password

Internet Connect and the wrong password
Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 12:47 AM

I thought I was helping my girlfriend out by making a bunch of IC configurations for her on her iBook for all the local dial-up numbers. Unfortunately it turns out I created a monster. I put in the wrong password in the first configuration and since all of the others were simply copies of the first they all had the wrong password. Once we tried to connect and figured out what happened we went back and changed them. Internet Connect however refuses to save any of the password changes we make. Any time she puts in a correct password and tells IC to save the configuration it reverts back to the wrong password.

So far we've tried deleting the configurations in IC, deleting the Keychain entries for those configurations, making a new Location setting, and deleting IC's configuration file. None of these things have worked. I'm at a loss to figure out what I may have overlooked. I can't find any place that should be saving the wrong password yet somehow IC not only remembers it but forces it into all configurations now. When she gets a chance I'm going to have her make a new user and make a new configuration to see if it is a global problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appriciated.

redJag
Senior User
Jun 25, 2004, 01:07 AM

Hmm, it seems they should be hooked up, but try going to the system preferences -> networking -> modem and changing the password there. Make sure to click Apply and then try Dial now.. (should launch IC). Interesting problem, good luck.
Travis Sanderson

Graymalkin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 01:44 AM

I've already tried that one. I've changed the password in System Preferences and tried dialing from there and tried just applying it and then opening IC. Neither works. I've also created an entirely new Network Location and the same thing happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules