Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cable Splitting

Cable Splitting
willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 06:26 PM

I need to split the main cable input on the outside of my house to about 10 outlets. Using normal splitters it looks terrible. Any suggestions for amplifiers or anything else to make it look better?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by willab:
I need to split the main cable input on the outside of my house to about 10 outlets. Using normal splitters it looks terrible. Any suggestions for amplifiers or anything else to make it look better?
Just go to your local RadioShack and get yourself an amplifier. They'll cost between $25 (RadioShack brand) to more than $50 (name brands). With 10 outlets you'll probably need 2 or 3 of them.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by soul searching:
Just go to your local RadioShack and get yourself an amplifier. They'll cost between $25 (RadioShack brand) to more than $50 (name brands). With 10 outlets you'll probably need 2 or 3 of them.
Any brand recommendations? Do they work well?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 07:26 PM

Any brand recommendations? Do they work well?
I only have experience with the RadioShack one. A few years ago, I used a one to split one line into three (a fellow dorm mate had HBO in his room and he decided to share with the neighbors). That worked out well for us.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 08:23 PM

If that main cable line supplies a cable modem also and you put an amplifier on the line your internet will slow and disconnect a lot. FYI
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 08:27 PM

Remember to add a terminator to each unused outlet.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by stevesnj:
If that main cable line supplies a cable modem also and you put an amplifier on the line your internet will slow and disconnect a lot. FYI
Split the TV signal from the data signal, and then place an amp on the TV signal. This is what I do, and I haven't had any problems.

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by f1000:
Split the TV signal from the data signal, and then place an amp on the TV signal. This is what I do, and I haven't had any problems.
Will you please give me a link to a terminator and amplifier that you recommend?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 09:30 PM

Terminator:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-1156.
Home Depot carries cheap terminators, also.

Amplifier:

The amp that I have is good, but it's not great and it's getting pretty old. I'll post more information on it when I have an opportunity to dig up the specs.

Motorola currently offers a bi-directional amp that boosts both data and video signals (up to 1 GHz). They're available at Circuit City for $80, but your cable company might be able to send you one for free,

http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...ignal_booster/

Other:

Keep cable runs short by trimming excess cable and crimping on connectors yourself (don't use cheap screw on connectors).

Here's a handy link if you're looking for electronic tools/components: http://mcm.newark.com/.

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 10:13 PM

(don't use cheap screw on connectors).
What is wrong with screw on connectors?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 12:07 AM

Lower quality signal.

-t

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 01:22 AM

How so? All it's doing is securing the copper wire into the device and the worst that could happen is that the the coax could pull off the connector. I've used them before and they do a decent job for those who don't have crimpers or don't want to buy one just to do a couple jobs.

52 posts to go...
F = ma

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 09:43 AM

I've found that screw on F-connectors tend to cut into a cable's outer ground shield, severing the fragile foil. The guy who installed my cable modem had to replace one that I had installed because he couldn't get a clean enough signal through it. FYI, Home Depot sells crimpers for a better price than Radio Shack does.

The amplifier I have is a Radio Shack model# 15-1113B:

http://support.radioshack.com/produc...5-1113&Reuse=N

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 10:19 AM

The screw on connectors may be my problem. I have one on the main line coming into the house and on most of the other cables.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
How so? All it's doing is securing the copper wire into the device and the worst that could happen is that the the coax could pull off the connector. I've used them before and they do a decent job for those who don't have crimpers or don't want to buy one just to do a couple jobs.

52 posts to go...
the outer ring of the conector is also used as a ground to counteract interferance... screw on connectors arent very good at this.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 11:57 AM

The screw on connectors may be my problem. I have one on the main line coming into the house and on most of the other cables.
what you should do before you get into the illegal stuff is call your cable company and have them get all your existing cableing up to spec... ie fix the screw on connectors properly ground everything, etc. They should do this for free if you just say you are getting really crappy reception. You can also probably get an amplifier that will allow a cable model signal through from them this way. Just keep complaining and ask if they will put an amp on. You should only need on amplifier depending on the quality of the cable that is run through your house. If you are running all this yourself, make sure you get shielded RG6 cable.
( Last edited by Phanguye; Jul 17, 2004 at 09:10 PM. )

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
what you should do before you get into the illegal stuff is call your cable company and have them get all your existing cableing up to spec... ie fix the screw on connectors properly ground everything, etc. They should do this for free if you just say you are getting really crappy reception. You can also probably get an amplifier that will allow a cable model signal through from them this way. Just keep complaining and ask if they will put an amp on. You should only need on amplifier depending on the quality of the cable that is run through your house. If you are running all this yourself, make sure you get shielded RG8 cable.
Illegal stuff?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 01:18 PM

Illegal stuff?
yea you arent really supposed to be activating outlets in your home, but the cable company doesn't normally check because most of the workers just dont care

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 01:29 PM

yea you arent really supposed to be activating outlets in your home, but the cable company doesn't normally check because most of the workers just dont care
You guys couldn't have picked a better time to bring this subject up. I was having trouble with my reception as well.

The cable guy DID put an amplifier on our line because he said we were at the end of the line and getting too weak a signal. He gave me a wink and said, "I'm not really supposed to do this, but..." and did it anyway. It's a Reverse Path amp. I imagine that allows our cable modem to send signals as well.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 01:39 PM

If you are running all this yourself, make sure you get shielded RG8 cable.
Phanguye, is there really a difference among these cables. Before I got frustrated and just called my cable company, I went out and bought a replacement cable (thought it went bad).

First I got a RG59, then RG6. I didn't see a RG8 cable. What is that used for?

And secondly, do you know if those Monster cables are really worth the price?
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

willab  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 06:05 PM

The legality of activating outlets would be specific to the cable company right? I use Charter and the TOS do not seem to be on their website and a Google search turned up nothing. I am not particularly concerned about this, I think I mentioned to a cable installer once that I had installed a few outlets. I'd rather not involve the cable company. Last time I called them they had no idea what they were talking about and could not help us with a seemingly simple billing issue. So I guess the first thing to do is properly crimp all the cables. Also, I had never heard of RG8, only RG6, is it worth running RG8?
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
Phanguye, is there really a difference among these cables. Before I got frustrated and just called my cable company, I went out and bought a replacement cable (thought it went bad).

First I got a RG59, then RG6. I didn't see a RG8 cable. What is that used for?

And secondly, do you know if those Monster cables are really worth the price?
yea sorry... RG6. I haven't installed cable in like 2 summers so a lot of the specific naming conventions have slipped my mind.

Definently get RG6. It is a newwer standard with thicker copper and better shielding.

The monster stuff really isnt worth the price. Just make sure that when you buy cable that is premade that it is RG6 and that the ends are not the cheap ones you find on the really inexpensive cables. Beyond those things, you are just paying for the monster name.
( Last edited by Phanguye; Jul 17, 2004 at 09:17 PM. )

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 09:16 PM

The legality of activating outlets would be specific to the cable company right? I use Charter and the TOS do not seem to be on their website and a Google search turned up nothing. I am not particularly concerned about this, I think I mentioned to a cable installer once that I had installed a few outlets. I'd rather not involve the cable company. Last time I called them they had no idea what they were talking about and could not help us with a seemingly simple billing issue. So I guess the first thing to do is properly crimp all the cables. Also, I had never heard of RG8, only RG6, is it worth running RG8?
Yea RG6.

The extra outlets arent a big deal. Most cable installers dont check it and if they do you can just say that the last installer did it for you. Most cable installers arent the brightest or really don't care that much so it shouldnt be an issue. They try to focus more on actually finding people who are stealing service, and they arent even very good at finding that.

I would definently recommend properly crimping the cables. That is probably the easist way to increase your signal strength

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 10:16 PM

Hey,

I got two of these amplifiers for sale. Here is a link to what they look like:

http://home.earthlink.net/~spacebuck...y/rca4way.JPEG

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 10:31 PM

You want Rg6 Quad shield, home depot carries it and you need to buy the matching end connectors. The regular sheilded connectors won't work. Also buy the correct tools to strip and crimp and lightly scrape the copper cable after you strip it, sometimes the plastic coating on the copper doesn't come off during the stripping process and will cause a bad signal if there is an improper ground. RG6 Quad Shield is better for long runs and reduces signal loss.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 10:33 PM

The extra outlets arent a big deal. Most cable installers dont check it and if they do you can just say that the last installer did it for you. Most cable installers arent the brightest or really don't care that much so it shouldnt be an issue. They try to focus more on actually finding people who are stealing service, and they arent even very good at finding that.
Yeah, tell me about it. My grandmother had a stroke and had to move into an assisted living apartment, so we called and canceled all non-essential utilities to her house until we could sell it. Cox didn't even ever bother disconnecting the cable and three months later the cable still works.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Buckaroo:
Hey,

I got two of these amplifiers for sale. Here is a link to what they look like:

http://home.earthlink.net/~spacebuck...y/rca4way.JPEG
those wont work for someone with a cable modem

milhous
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:24 AM

I've found that screw on F-connectors tend to cut into a cable's outer ground shield, severing the fragile foil. The guy who installed my cable modem had to replace one that I had installed because he couldn't get a clean enough signal through it. FYI, Home Depot sells crimpers for a better price than Radio Shack does.

The amplifier I have is a Radio Shack model# 15-1113B:

http://support.radioshack.com/produc...5-1113&Reuse=N
thanks for the explanation, makes sense.... though i still like them.

43 posts to go...
F = ma

Forum Links
Forum Rules