Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Palestinians on strike, Arafat admitting mistakes and Israel attacking Gaza

Palestinians on strike, Arafat admitting mistakes and Israel attacking Gaza
lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 04:52 PM

Palestinian Strike Gains Strength
Hundreds more Palestinian prisoners have joined a four-day-old hunger strike, Israeli prison officials say.

A total of 2,264 of 3,800 prisoners in jails run by the prison service were now refusing their meals, prison service spokesman Ian Domnitz said.

The strike was declared on Sunday to protest against conditions for Palestinians held by Israel.

Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has urged people to fast for one day in solidarity with the striking prisoners.

The prisoners are demanding mandatory visiting rights, better sanitary conditions, public telephones and an end to strip searches.
Arafat admits 'mistakes' to MPs
The veteran Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has told a meeting of MPs that "unacceptable mistakes" have been made under his leadership.

In what is seen as a rare admission, he also acknowledged there had been major failings in enforcing security in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Mr Arafat committed himself to a new effort to reform his government, but he made few specific pledges.

Last month, Prime Minister Ahmed Qurei threatened to resign over the issue.

"Some unacceptable mistakes have been made by our institutions and some have abused their positions and violated the trust that has been placed in them," Mr Arafat said in the keynote speech at his West Bank headquarters.

He admitted that "no real effort" had been made to enforce law and order.

"More efforts and support should be made for the security of the people and this is the responsibility of the security organisations."
And the latest.....

Israel Hits Gaza
An Israeli helicopter fired two missiles at targets in Gaza City after nightfall, one at a building in the Zeitoun neighbourhood, witnesses say.

Residents say the first missile hit a car battery factory in a building with two empty flats. The target of the second strike is not known.

The Israeli army has not confirmed the incident - the second in 24 hours.

Five people were killed in an earlier explosion near the house of a leader of the Islamic militant group Hamas.

In another incident, at least two people were injured, one seriously, after Hamas militants fired mortars at the Israeli settlement of Neve Dekalim in the Gaza Strip.
Lots happening over there. It had been relatively quiet for some time.

Interesting revolt the Palestinians are making against Israeli oppression.

Discuss!

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 18, 2004, 04:57 PM

My comments:

As for the hunger strike: They can starve to death for all I care. Their demands are plain stupid.

As for Arafat: He is a terrorist and the Palestinians will be better off when he croaks.

As for the missle strike: Nice job IDF ! All hamas should be erradicated. Where are the "gates of hell" that have been opened ?

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
My comments:

As for the hunger strike: They can starve to death for all I care. Their demands are plain stupid.
It's funny, but your comments mirror those of the Israeli Government. How sad. Just goes to show you the type of people the Palestinians have to deal with.
A Jew with a view.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 18, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by version:
It's funny, but your comments mirror those of the Israeli Government. How sad. Just goes to show you the type of people the Palestinians have to deal with.
Yes, I'm aware of the positions of the Govt, I do read the news afterall. Israel knows how to deal with scumbag terrorists. They aren't pushovers apparently. The USA also supports Israel in their struggle against the evil doers.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:08 PM

Yes, I'm aware of the positions of the Govt, I do read the news afterall. Israel knows how to deal with scumbag terrorists. They aren't pushovers apparently. The USA also supports Israel in their struggle against the evil doers.
So simple to you, isn't it? I mean the logic and understanding of the situation. I assume you know all the prisoners, personally, to deduce they are all terrorists? That every one of them deserve such treaments that are met out to them in prison?
A Jew with a view.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2004, 05:09 PM

My comments:

Just curious: What's "plain stupid" about their demands, per se?

(Yes, I certainly will regret asking this.)

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:15 PM

I remember the IRA hunger strikes here in the UK that happened many years ago. The reaction from the Government was predictable, not to give in, but the actual rhetoric, and approach by the UK Gov. was pretty much in accordance with basic human rights. Now, strange thing is, after the situations died down, major changes were implemented within the N. Ireland prison system.

What Israel is doing, is to totally disregard those very same basic human rights, to show absolutely no attempt to address the issue.

Anyway, it's just typical Israel though.
A Jew with a view.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 18, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by mo:
Just curious: What's "plain stupid" about their demands, per se?

(Yes, I certainly will regret asking this.)
It's all a scam, as the leaders of the strikes have been sneaking meals.

Here's Barghouti sneaking a meal.

The latter demand privileges such as computers in their cells, cellular phones, and no glass partition during visits. Many past terror attacks have been arranged from prison using cell phones and the passing of messages to visitors.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=67546

No glass partitions ? haha
No strip searching ? haha
Computers in their cells ? haha
Cell phones ? haha

Also, the Israel idea of barbequing is a good one.

Mmmmm......Tasty........

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:26 PM

Snipped useless inflammatory crap
Maybe one day Israel will act like a nation that deserves to be classed as civilised. Until then, they're no better than any other so-called 'evil regime'.
A Jew with a view.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 05:28 PM

My comments:

As for Arafat: He is a terrorist and the Palestinians will be better off when he croaks.

As for the missle strike: Nice job IDF ! All hamas should be erradicated. Where are the "gates of hell" that have been opened ?
I got news for you pal. Sharon is no better than Arafat. Besides his corruption he's also committed war crimes (they are what got the public to rally behind him and put him in office years later).

It's the problem right there. Both sides are led by war criminals, rather than real leaders.

May want to look at how easy it is for the Kach Movement to still get funding, despite the label of a 'terrorist organization'. Israel isn't exactly cracking down. They just created a list like the PLO did. Action free. They still get the funding. And since Sharon's in power, they have extra protection.

Until regime change... the situation will sadly not change. You've got to get rid of the corruption before change can happen. You can close your eyes and make sharon to look like a good guy... but fact is he's just Arafat's brother. Two guys who did the same things, and let the same things happen. Both aren't interested in peace. They just want power and money. And for them, it's in their personal interests for this to continue, because they can attack and do things freely.

The only time Israel was looking at peace was when Rabin was alive... 50% of the puzzle was in place. but they put an end to that concept pretty quick.

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 18, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I got news for you pal. Sharon is no better than Arafat. Besides his corruption he's also committed war crimes (they are what got the public to rally behind him and put him in office years later).

It's the problem right there. Both sides are led by war criminals, rather than real leaders.

May want to look at how easy it is for the Kach Movement to still get funding, despite the label of a 'terrorist organization'. Israel isn't exactly cracking down. They just created a list like the PLO did. Action free. They still get the funding. And since Sharon's in power, they have extra protection.

Until regime change... the situation will sadly not change. You've got to get rid of the corruption before change can happen. You can close your eyes and make sharon to look like a good guy... but fact is he's just Arafat's brother. Two guys who did the same things, and let the same things happen. Both aren't interested in peace. They just want power and money. And for them, it's in their personal interests for this to continue, because they can attack and do things freely.

The only time Israel was looking at peace was when Rabin was alive... 50% of the puzzle was in place. but they put an end to that concept pretty quick.
Say what you want about Sharon. Israel's leaders come and go. It's a democratic state. The Palestinians are stuck with their one dictator.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:32 PM

Pachead, can I ask you a question? Why are you so vocal about your support for Israel? Are you Israeli-American? Jewish?
A Jew with a view.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:34 PM

Say what you want about Sharon. Israel's leaders come and go. It's a democratic state. The Palestinians are stuck with their one dictator.
Yes, they come and go, Rabin was murdered at a time when peace seemed within reach. What astounded me, was the right-wing Christians in the USA, and their seemingly desire to derail the peace process before that.

Wonder why those Christians in the USA have such an interest in Israeli affairs?
A Jew with a view.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 05:44 PM

Yes, they come and go, Rabin was murdered at a time when peace seemed within reach. What astounded me, was the right-wing Christians in the USA, and their seemingly desire to derail the peace process before that.

Wonder why those Christians in the USA have such an interest in Israeli affairs?
The same could be asked of your interest in Palestinian affairs.

Personally, I feel that even prisoners shouldn�t have to live in unhealthy, unsanitary conditions. I also don�t feel that prisoners should have unfettered access to visitors and I see no reason why they should be allowed cell phones.
Nemo me impune lacesset

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
The same could be asked of your interest in Palestinian affairs.
That's because I am Israeli, but I also live in the UK.

The issue is one that covers more than just wanting mobile phones, which was my point.
A Jew with a view.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 05:49 PM

That's because I am Israeli, but I also live in the UK.

The issue is one that covers more than just wanting mobile phones.
*** S M A C K D O W N ! ! ! ***
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
It's cool, ThinkInsane is alright, we've had our differences before, but he did invite me once to have a beer with him in his bunker.
A Jew with a view.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 05:52 PM

It's cool, ThinkInsane is alright, we've had our differences before, but he did invite me once to have a beer with him in his bunker.
I know, I think he's a froody kind guy as well

But damn that was just called for teh SMACKDOWN
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 05:53 PM

But damn that was just called for teh SMACKDOWN
It was, wasn't it.
A Jew with a view.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 06:01 PM

What does it say when Israeli's elect war criminals as their leaders?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 06:22 PM

I wasn't aware that version was an Israeli; I was under the impression that he was a Scotsman, not an Israeli living in Scotland. My mistake, and I gladly admit when I am wrong. As for my "bunker", my building was originally an armory. The doors always open and the beers always cold. The more the merrier. You can even find directions somewhere in the lounge achieve.

As for the prisoner demands, like all prisoner demands, some have merit and some don�t. Cell phones, no, right to clean living conditions, yes. That was my point.
Nemo me impune lacesset

lil'babykitten  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 06:27 PM

Can't a guy at least play a damn game of snakes on his phone in jail?

(yeah it's a weird kind of demand to make)

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 18, 2004, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by lil'babykitten:
Can't a guy at least play a damn game of snakes on his phone in jail?

(yeah it's a weird kind of demand to make)
I don't have a problem if they give them gameboys. Hell, I'm a magnanimous sort, give 'em gameboy advance!

Nemo me impune lacesset

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I wasn't aware that version was an Israeli; I was under the impression that he was a Scotsman, not an Israeli living in Scotland. My mistake, and I gladly admit when I am wrong. As for my "bunker", my building was originally an armory. The doors always open and the beers always cold. The more the merrier. You can even find directions somewhere in the lounge achieve.
I am a Scotty. I was born here, parents went on Aliyeh (mum took dad) to Israel (mum is Jewish) when I was young, then spent many years there, then back here, time served in the military, then back to Israel, then back here. Bit of a roundabout, but I am basically a bit of both, with family in both countries.

So that's why I have more than a passing interet in Israel and it's political culture. It's also why I asked about those who seem to have an unusually strong voice about Israwel without seeming to be linked to the country in any way. I'm not saying people shouldn't be interested in other countries, but what some say here seems to be more thanjust an interest. But, I think I know the answer to that one.

Ah, the bunker, lol, I remember now.

As for the prisoner demands, like all prisoner demands, some have merit and some don�t. Cell phones, no, right to clean living conditions, yes. That was my point.
I agree, and I understood your point, but unfortunately, some others don't.
A Jew with a view.

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 06:52 PM

This may have something to do with why US Christians are interested in Israeli affairs.

Linky

You reap what you sow.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by deomacius:
This may have something to do with why US Christians are interested in Israeli affairs.

Linky
Yeah, I know, as well as the other reasons in all their unsavoury guises.
A Jew with a view.

version
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 07:03 PM

It was more of a rhetorical question, to bring up the blatant slanted views of those Christians who unwaiveringly support Israel, while contradicting the basic idea of human rights in regards to the Palestinians. But in which they do so with such passion.
A Jew with a view.

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 07:08 PM

I just don't understand the love affair for a country that has caused thousands of American casualties due to our supporting said country.

If I were President the protection of American citizens would come first and if it meant casting away a questionable ally then so be it.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 18, 2004, 10:11 PM

Don't be so sure about that. It's just figureheads.

Saddam held elections and always won with 99%. Does that make it a true republic?

Israel's political system is by far the most corrupt of the modern world. It's multiple 'parties' but the same people running the show. Big deal if Sharon goes. He's still going to be running the show in the background. He's got enough swing now that it doesn't matter if he holds the office, or is just another politician.

You can't just give a party multiple names and call it a democracy.

Again, it's just like the PLO. Just Israel is more willing to play games and keep a facade up.

It was more of a rhetorical question, to bring up the blatant slanted views of those Christians who unwaiveringly support Israel, while contradicting the basic idea of human rights in regards to the Palestinians. But in which they do so with such passion.
What's funny is they are always the ones who talk about how America and Israel is about 'freedom', and how we are bring 'freedom' to others.

Seems the ones who talk most about apparant 'freedoms' and 'rights' seem to be the ones who really care the least about them. Or at least that's the case on this forum, perhaps not the entire world.

Forum Links
Forum Rules