Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > An Open Letter To MacNN Administration and ALL Posters!

An Open Letter To MacNN Administration and ALL Posters!
aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:35 PM

Dear MacNN Administration and ALL Posters!

This is an issue which I believe requires the immediate attention of MacNN management
Foreign Agents are Unduly Influencing the American Electoral Process on These Pages.

I appreciate the diversity of opinion and different points of view in the Political Lounge. However, there are some individuals who make their nationality a secret.

When someone expresses an opinion counter to mine, my first thought isn't to question their national allegiance, but to answer (or not) their post.

I believe some other American posters may have the same reaction as mine. In the same vein, when reading somone's posts I seldom question their allegiance or ethnic background or anything else but the issue they are addressing and how well they do so.

Yet, as you all well know, a person's national origin or religion or current citizenship is very important in weighing the merits and value of that person's post. Especially someone who posts the same consistent message; persistently and predictably.

When a certain point of view is continually and aggressively posted by the same individuals, it makes me wonder who these people are and what their motivation is.

From his post on the thread asking what languages we all speak, I found out that troll, for example, speaks several languages, English and Afrikaans are his native tongues and he has a law degree.

I believe in fair play and freedom of speech for all.

However, as we insist our fellow posters cite the source of their information with a hyperlink or URL so others can judge the veracity of their information in greater depth, isn't it even MORE important that the readers of these pages have some way of identifying each poster's orientation or allegiance?

I know there are American citizens who live outside the US. Also, there are non-American citizens who have a strong love of America and an interest in our politics.

No problem either way.

However, I strongly object to those who obviously take advantage of the forum MacNN provides (a forum we all enjoy) to attempt to 'hijack' or otherwise influence voter's opinions.

Under FARA it turns out these individuals have no right to be influencing the American electoral process, thus my problem with their doing so without proper identification.

Foreign Agents Registration Unit (FARA) Counterespionage Section_

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fara/

Q & A's
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fara/q_A.htm

"The purpose of FARA is to insure that the American public and it's lawmakers know the source of information (propaganda) intended to sway public opinion, policy and laws. In 1938, the FARA was Congress' response to the large number of German propaganda agents in the pre-WWII U.S."

I suggest EVERYONE (starting with the Political Lounge posters) be made to correctly identify their location. The humorous answers or non-answers to the question of "Location" in the profile gives some individuals a 'cover' for what MAY be illegal activitiy.

I urge MacNN's immediate action on this issue and invite everyone's input.

Thanks!

aberdeenwriter
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 12:38 PM

You are taking this way too seriously. It's a sub-sub section of a mac discussion board. So you find yourself talking politics with 14 year-olds in Belgium. So what?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:39 PM

I've often wondered why some of the people in other parts of the world have such a fanatical obsession with our political leanings myself, thank you.

Someone call the CIA!

(Just joking...I think?)

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:40 PM

(Wait a minute...aren't YOU the CIA, aberdeenwriter?)

Oh, my mistake!

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 12:42 PM

Who's the first to the tin-foil hat pic?

aberdeen, gimme a break.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
You are taking this way too seriously. It's a sub-sub section of a mac discussion board. So you find yourself talking politics with 14 year-olds in Belgium. So what?
Yes this bears repeating.

This thread shouldn't be in this forum anyway. It should be in the aptly named 'Feedback' forum.

IBL

Scientist
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 12:43 PM

Joke?
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:46 PM

aberdeen, the internet is international. You're allowed to talk about politics with people from other countries. Really. And they don't even have to register with the US government first!

[edit] changed a very sarcastic response to a less sarcastic response.
( Last edited by BRussell; Oct 4, 2004 at 12:51 PM. )

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:49 PM

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 12:50 PM

LOLOL

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 12:52 PM

Well...if some of these folks are 'foreign agents', then we really don't have anything to worry about. If these are the best and the brightest individuals their sponsoring contries can offer - I say to you: don't worry. be happy.

Ambassadors of electoral subversion, I reckon would be their title.

OMG, the USA is light-years ahead on this game.

Take me, for example. I'm DAMN good - yet I'm only a mere unpaid volunteer. Imagine how good our professional foreign agents must be. Heck, they all drive E-series Benzes and Hummers and they live in nice neighborhoods.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:58 PM

I'm more worried about domestic crackpots sucking up all the oxygen than I am about foreign agents.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 01:01 PM

I would like to see others put some location info in their profile... but that's probably asking too much.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 01:11 PM

Let me guess, aberdeenwriter; you're the grandson of Joseph McCarthy. It's a freakin' internet discussion forum; get over yourself.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
This is an issue which I believe requires the immediate attention of MacNN management
Foreign Agents are Unduly Influencing the American Electoral Process on These Pages.
memo to aberdeenwriter:

Just say "no" to methamphetamines.

Solomon Grundy
Oct 4, 2004, 01:24 PM

LOL!!!! Thanks. Best. Post. Ever.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 01:25 PM

OK, I admit it. I was all for Bush until i read a post from some guy in Tibet saying that Kerry was better so I am going to change my vote. Oh the pressure of forming my own opinion...

Nicko
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 01:26 PM

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 01:30 PM

Hoooooo, boy! That's a laugh!

Well, I'm not an Foreign Agent, but I play one on the internet!

Thanks for the satire aberdeen.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 01:31 PM

The MacNN Administration has dispatched a MacNN Investigative Agent, with a MacNN S.W.A.T. team as backup. Should undue influence on the election have been determined to have occurred, all responsible parties will be interred in the MacNN Special Section of Gitmo.

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the MacNN Administration. We depend on loyal Members such as yourself to be our eyes and ears.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 01:31 PM

LOL!!!! Thanks. Best. Post. Ever.
Yeah, it is a pretty good thread, isn't it?

I agree with MacNStein and aberdeenwriter.

Just say where you are. What's the problem with it? Can someone honestly say what the problem with it is? It's not as if you're giving out your home address...that is, unless, you don't have a home?

(I know, I know, quit winking.)

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 01:33 PM

I found out that Troll, for example, speaks several languages, English and Afrikaans are his native tongues and he has a law degree.
He speaks several languages AND he has a law degree! Get that foreign bastard out of here!

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 01:37 PM

Solomon Grundy
Oct 4, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Yeah, it is a pretty good thread, isn't it?

I agree with MacNStein and aberdeenwriter.

Just say where you are. What's the problem with it? Can someone honestly say what the problem with it is? It's not as if you're giving out your home address...that is, unless, you don't have a home?

(I know, I know, quit winking.)

Location is irrelevant to the discussion of ideas, also, one might be biased against somebody if they knew where they were from. If I were Syrian or Iranian how do you think some of the members would act towards me?

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2004, 01:52 PM

I'm in favor of putting a bit of trivia about your location into your location field. This way, those who know anything about your location, will know it. Everyone else will remain clueless.

<-------

State birds, obscure mountaintops, you know the like. If we really care to know where someone's from, we can research it and learn something.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Solomon Grundy:
Location is irrelevant to the discussion of ideas, also, one might be biased against somebody if they knew where they were from. If I were Syrian or Iranian how do you think some of the members would act towards me?
It does matter to me, with regards to discussing the U.S. gov't. If the person isn't a US citizen, and they're critical of our president and policies, I take it with a grain of salt (mostly). Currently, I'm just ignoring political posts made by people who have left their location blank (or if they just have some silly BS written in) unless I happen to know where they're from by some other means.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
I'm in favor of putting a bit of trivia about your location into your location field. This way, those who know anything about your location, will know it. Everyone else will remain clueless.

<-------

State birds, obscure mountaintops, you know the like. If we really care to know where someone's from, we can research it and learn something.
That's not a bad idea. I've kinda been doing that for a while now.
- Thomas Paine

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 01:58 PM

Dear MacNN Administration and ALL Posters!

I appreciate the diversity of opinion and different points of view in the Political Lounge. However, there are some individuals who make their nationality a secret.

When someone expresses an opinion counter to mine, my first thought isn't to question their national allegiance, but to answer (or not) their post.

I believe some other American posters may have the same reaction as mine. In the same vein, when reading somone's posts I seldom question their allegiance or ethnic background or anything else but the issue they are addressing and how well they do so.

Yet, as you all well know, a person's national origin or religion or current citizenship is very important in weighing the merits and value of that person's post. Especially someone who posts the same consistent message; persistently and predictably.

When a certain point of view is continually and aggressively posted by the same individuals, it makes me wonder who these people are and what their motivation is.

From his post on the thread asking what languages we all speak, I found out that troll, for example, speaks several languages, English and Afrikaans are his native tongues and he has a law degree.

I believe in fair play and freedom of speech for all.

However, as we insist our fellow posters cite the source of their information with a hyperlink or URL so others can judge the veracity of their information in greater depth, isn't it even MORE important that the readers of these pages have some way of identifying each poster's orientation or allegiance?

I know there are American citizens who live outside the US. Also, there are non-American citizens who have a strong love of America and an interest in our politics.

No problem either way.

However, I strongly object to those who obviously take advantage of the forum MacNN provides (a forum we all enjoy) to attempt to 'hijack' or otherwise influence voter's opinions.

Under FARA it turns out these individuals have no right to be influencing the American electoral process, thus my problem with their doing so without proper identification.

Foreign Agents Registration Unit (FARA) Counterespionage Section_

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fara/

Q & A's
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fara/q_A.htm

"The purpose of FARA is to insure that the American public and it's lawmakers know the source of information (propaganda) intended to sway public opinion, policy and laws. In 1938, the FARA was Congress' response to the large number of German propaganda agents in the pre-WWII U.S."

I suggest EVERYONE (starting with the Political Lounge posters) be made to correctly identify their location. The humorous answers or non-answers to the question of "Location" in the profile gives some individuals a 'cover' for what MAY be illegal activitiy.

I urge MacNN's immediate action on this issue and invite everyone's input.

Thanks!

aberdeenwriter
I just wanted to quote this in its entirety before he wakes up and edits it out. I'd hate to lose this gem.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 01:59 PM

Well, it does give us some clue as to how much you're willing to fork over for real estate.

Solomon Grundy
Oct 4, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
It does matter to me, with regards to discussing the U.S. gov't. If the person isn't a US citizen, and they're critical of our president and policies, I take it with a grain of salt (mostly). Currently, I'm just ignoring political posts made by people who have left their location blank (or if they just have some silly BS written in) unless I happen to know where they're from by some other means.
Does common sense or a well thought out position become null and void because of location?

andi*pandi
Oct 4, 2004, 02:05 PM

hey, everyone knows that outside 128 there be dragons. Or Gorgons. I forget which.

and I like indoor plumbing.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 02:12 PM

hey, everyone knows that outside 128 there be dragons. Or Gorgons. I forget which.

and I like indoor plumbing.
I LOLed.

This thread is now about pie, because I've been absolutely jonesing for the last two weeks.

Mmmmmm... Pie....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 02:12 PM

I just wanted to say that the initial post is probably the funniest thing I'm going to read all week.

Definitely a keeper. That'll keep me all warm and fuzzy for *ages*.

Thanks chris for saving that for posterity, though Mr. aberdeenwriter may never quite realize how screamingly funny he is, let alone understand why...

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 02:15 PM

WHAT ABOUT POLAND???

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Bluesky:
WHAT ABOUT POLAND???
Don't listen to them! They're foreigners!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 02:25 PM

Come to think of it, Americans are probably violating campaign finance laws. Since money usually has to be expended to access the internet (a computer, an ISP), we all should register as 527s here at the political lounge.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 02:31 PM

something about foreign agents and "illegal" posts

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 02:34 PM

( Last edited by Bluesky; Oct 4, 2004 at 02:40 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Solomon Grundy:
Does common sense or a well thought out position become null and void because of location?
When I find either of those on MacNN, I'll let you know.
- Thomas Paine

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 02:38 PM

Hilarious post. Thanks for the laugh!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 02:39 PM

I say we make this one a Sticky.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 02:45 PM

And they say that liberals are tin-foil hat-wearing wackos...

Now do you really think that a sub-forum on a Macintosh board is going to affect what goes on outside in your world?

Get over it or GTFO.

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 4, 2004, 02:50 PM

sweet, i'll finally be able to hand these out:

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 02:53 PM

<-------

For anyone wishing to conceal their foreign identity:
www.50states.com
( Last edited by Wiskedjak; Oct 4, 2004 at 03:02 PM. )

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 02:53 PM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
sweet, i'll finally be able to hand these out:

Oh no! It's the left-wing MacNN moderator conspiracy coming to the aid of the pinko Commie delinquent furriner abortionists!

Woooooo....

Watch the right-wingers get banned left and right, while the left wingers breed like cockroaches and forge their evil plans to usurp the moronic dictatorship with...POSTS!

Yes, posts upon posts of left-wing usurpery!

Woooo...

Film at eleven.

-s*

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 02:55 PM

I just realized that by using caps, aberdeen has given us an acronym: FAUIAEPTP. Catchy!

I was thinking the same thing: who is aberdeen and what's his motivation?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I was thinking the same thing: who is aberdeen and what's his motivation?
And, is he really from Aberdeen, WA just because his profile says so? Perhaps he's the foreign agent.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 03:01 PM

Perhaps it would be easiest if those us who aren't American citizens were labelled with little yellow stars?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
And, is he really from Aberdeen, WA just because his profile says so? Perhaps he's the foreign agent.
He's trying to get people to vote Bush.

Proof enough he supports the terrorists' agenda.

Forum Links
Forum Rules