Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > (Foolishly) Broken AC Power Adapter

(Foolishly) Broken AC Power Adapter
brocklee8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2004, 04:59 PM

My son tripped over the AC Adapter wire that was plugged into my 17" 1Ghz Powerbook. The powerbook is all right, but sadly, the adapter is not.

The tip of the pin on the part that plugs into the powerbook was damaged, broke off, and is now lodged inside the powerbook.

Applecare (obviously) said this was not covered, despite the extended 3 yr Applecare plan.

My question is whether anyone else has had a similar problem, and whether there were any suggestions (ideas, tools, etc) with regards to how to remove the broken tip from the powerbook.

Apple has said it may cost upwards of $1000 to replace the logic board. I wish I could replace my kid that easily...

ibook_steve
Oct 25, 2004, 05:19 PM

I would think that tweezers or needle nose pliers would be all you need to remove it unless the very end broke off and is stuck deep in the connector. Make sure you remove the battery first. If it really is just the tip and it is deep, perhaps a strong magnet or the absolute smallest amount of super glue at the end of a heavy gauge wire might do the trick. The removal force on the pin isn't that great so this might work. Most of the removal force in the connector is in the ground ring around the pin.

Steve

Detrius
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2004, 08:53 PM

You don't need to replace the logic board. The DC jack isn't on the logic board--it's on the sound board. At least, I'm assuming the 17" is similar to the 15". It's been a while since I've been inside a 17".

I had a rough time with the same issue on a 15". I couldn't even get the tip to come out when I was pushing from the other side.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2004, 09:05 PM

call your insurance company... (Safeware etc....) It is covered .....no deductable. You et new power supply and they will have Apple Tech remove tip!

iCare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 03:58 AM

Or you can keep looking on eBay for a new one. You might be able to get one much cheaper than the one at the Apple Store. Make sure it's a 65W one because from what I heard (correct me if I'm wrong) the 45W one will not work with the Powerbook. Sorry to hear about your Adapter though. I know our Powerbooks are our babies and we wish nothing bad would ever happen to them.

"Carolinian by Birth, Tar Heel by the Grace of God." :)
Proud owner of 12" PowerBook G4/1.33GHz/768MB/60GB/SD

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 27, 2004, 12:58 PM

I second the idea of using an implement with superglue to extract the piece of plug. Try a wire brad or matchstick. And be very careful!

If you don't care about size, Targus and iGo sell a 3-in-1 adapters for Apple laptops that can run off AC, airplane, and car lighter socket power. Of course Apple's own AC adapters work rather well.

tooki

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 11:03 PM

The superglue Idea is great.

brocklee8  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 02:03 PM

Thank you all for the great ideas. Ultimately, the superglue trick worked just perfectly. My beautiful powerbook is now charging quietly in the corner, and my son can now be let out of the closet. Good times for all

Ryan1524
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 04:07 PM

good to know your kid is still alive.
Ryan

ibook_steve
Oct 28, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by brocklee8:
Thank you all for the great ideas. Ultimately, the superglue trick worked just perfectly. My beautiful powerbook is now charging quietly in the corner, and my son can now be let out of the closet. Good times for all
Wow. That's great to hear that it worked. I've never done it before myself. I just thought it was about the only thing you could do.

Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules