Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Einstein@Home Alpha kickoff (BOINC)

Einstein@Home Alpha kickoff (BOINC)
Shaktai
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2004, 01:54 AM

Einstein@Home has begun alpha testing by invitation only. The project "pirates@home" is/was essentially a development testbed for Einstein@home.

If you signed up to be notified when Einstein@home was ready for testers you may have already, or may soon receive an invitation to joing the Alpha Test team.

Alpha testing began about 3 weeks ago, and they added at least an additional 300 folks today to the Alpha test team. More may be added soon. The goal is to kick off the project publically around the end of the year.

You can read about Einstein@home HERE and sign up for notification to join the test team or for when the project goes public.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 12:32 PM

Physics is one of my passions, this could be a chance for a little bottom feeder like myself to have an effect on attaining a true "unified field theory" in my lifetime. Climate prediction seems a worthwhile cause, and I'm running my 3 newest Macs on it now. However, I think I'll be inclined to switch them over once "Einstein" is up and running. Thanks for the "heads up" Shaktai.

Z

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
Physics is one of my passions, this could be a chance for a little bottom feeder like myself to have an effect on attaining a true "unified field theory" in my lifetime. Climate prediction seems a worthwhile cause, and I'm running my 3 newest Macs on it now. However, I think I'll be inclined to switch them over once "Einstein" is up and running. Thanks for the "heads up" Shaktai.

Z
The project team seems to still be learning how BOINC works, but that is part of what Alpa testing is about. It looks like a good project.

After 48 hours with 62 teams - http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/top_teams.php
and Top Participants - http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/top_users.php

The top producer has a cluster of 221 Athlons.

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2004, 02:29 AM

BOINC stats has added Einstein@home to their list of stats available.

http://69.93.59.107/stats/team_stats...in&st=0&to=100

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2004, 07:51 AM

!!!!!!!!!
( Last edited by Simon X; Feb 12, 2017 at 01:27 PM. )

Shaktai  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 07:14 PM

Now here are some unusual rankings you don't see often. 5 out of the top 7 are educational institutions. The top two have some big labs crunching.
Code:
RANK TEAM RAC TOTAL COUNTRY 1 Einstein at work 8520.56 216258.96 Germany 2 University of Glasgow 3633.56 83709.38 United Kingdom 3 Einstein@UWM 672.62 16364.17 United States 4 SETI@Netherlands 550.95 7603.60 Netherlands 5 GEO-Hannover 351.31 6446.84 Germany 6 Team MacNN 309.23 3760.02 International 7 Radford University 245.53 2645.07 United States
( Last edited by Shaktai; Nov 14, 2004 at 07:21 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules