Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Something I've noticed about Mac-bashers

Something I've noticed about Mac-bashers
Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2004, 03:14 PM

I may be imitating Capt. Obvious here, but I just got into another one of conversations with somebody who uses a Mac at their job and hates it. After probing with some questions, it turns out that they don't know how to do basic file management or how to close an application.

Even notice it's always the ignorant who hate Macs?
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
I may be imitating Capt. Obvious here, but I just got into another one of conversations with somebody who uses a Mac at their job and hates it. After probing with some questions, it turns out that they don't know how to do basic file management or how to close an application.

Even notice it's always the ignorant who hate Macs?
There are reasonable complaints of Apple.

Check out my thread on Apple propaganda.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 08:02 PM

I've noticed this, but moreso i've noticed that mac users have different personality's.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 8, 2004, 08:08 PM

People who say they hate macs usually think on a level of very low creativity and insight. Hence it is difficult nigh* impossible for them to "Think Different"

* I watched Pirates of the Caribbean last night

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
After probing with some questions, it turns out that they don't know how to do basic file management or how to close an application.

funny thats why i hate windows

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 11:28 PM

I've found that 90% of Mac Bigots use or have used both windows and Macs, and feel Macs are far superior. 90% of Mac Bashers have never touched a Mac and know nothing about Macs, yet are convinced that Macs are far inferior. This is what I point out to the Mac Bashers I come across. And then I ask, "So, who do you think is more informed? The guy who uses both systems and says one is better than the other, or the guy who only is familiar with one system, says that system is better, but can't really tell you why?"
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2004, 11:30 PM

They smell?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 12:07 AM

You mean, some people actually don't like MAC's??

hayesk
Dec 9, 2004, 12:10 AM

Some windows users convinced themselves that the Windows GUI is just as good as the Mac GUI. When they actually try a Mac, they are surprised that it works differently and conclude it's the Mac that's the problem, instead of admitting they were wrong and actually try to learn something new.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
I've found that 90% of Mac Bigots use or have used both windows and Macs, and feel Macs are far superior. 90% of Mac Bashers have never touched a Mac and know nothing about Macs, yet are convinced that Macs are far inferior.
exactly.
i have been asked "why did you buy a mac? they don't have a lot of software available." so many times (to which i reply "oh, i didn't know that, what software can't you get for macs?")
a question they can not answer, since the only reason they asked that question is probably because they heard it from a friend whose friend had a roommate who knew someone who saw a mac in a computer store once. (you get the idea)

koogz
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
exactly.
i have been asked "why did you buy a mac? they don't have a lot of software available." so many times (to which i reply "oh, i didn't know that, what software can't you get for macs?")
a question they can not answer, since the only reason they asked that question is probably because they heard it from a friend whose friend had a roommate who knew someone who saw a mac in a computer store once. (you get the idea)
You can't get Authorware, or Captivate from Macromedia and it pisses me off!

Super Nova
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
You mean, some people actually don't like MAC's??
apocalypse

SuperNova

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 08:31 AM

So evil.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2004, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by macintologist:
There are reasonable complaints of Apple.

Check out my thread on Apple propaganda.
That thread is based on an invalid statistical sample; treating a tech-support forum as representative of Mac users everywhere is going to skew things. But frankly I suspect you knew this already. As you know, even on these forums, the majority of problems we see are exceedingly rare.

The fact is, for the vast majority of Mac users, Apple's claims are true, and even when they turn out to be, most of the time it turns out to not have been Apple's fault. Occasionally it is; the best example of it I've seen in recent times is the iBook motherboard issue, but I'd have to call the iTunes 2.0 installer debacle the best example of all time. But I'm sad to say, your thread is just plain not a valid argument.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

hayesk
Dec 9, 2004, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by koogz:
You can't get Authorware, or Captivate from Macromedia and it pisses me off!
True, but the average Windroid doesn't know what those programs are. I've never heard of Captivate myself.

koogz
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
True, but the average Windroid doesn't know what those programs are. I've never heard of Captivate myself.
Captivate used to be RoboDemo. Macromedia bought it and put some sparkle to an already awesome program. They did the same thing with Flash, but sadly the flash player lags behind Windows badly.

I guess the average Macdroid never heard of them either?...Don't get me wrong, I found a workaround for that, but why should I have to? These are two very impressive packages which are standard to the industry where I work.

Most of the people in my industry by the way, are Windroids. Sad, but true.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The fact is, for the vast majority of Mac users, Apple's claims are true, and even when they turn out to be, most of the time it turns out to not have been Apple's fault.
Are you quite sure that one came out the right way?

Forum Links
Forum Rules