Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Cross-platform virus hosed my Mac web site

Cross-platform virus hosed my Mac web site
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 11:34 AM

I have an old iMac running 10.2 that I use to host a web server. The site had an old version of PHPBB on it, that I set up years ago. Two nights ago my site was infected by Santy.a and all of my .php files have been overwritten. It turns out my backup is useless so I have lost an entire site thanks to this virus.

I guess I am most annoyed at myself since I was reading about the virus on Slashdot a couple days ago and was preparing to patch my site (at that point there were no easy directions on the PHPBB site on how to do so, there now are) and I went to bed at 10:30 PM, deciding to put off the upgrade until the next day. My site was infected at 1:52 AM and I lost everything. Very frustrating since many of these files cannot be replaced.

Just thought I would vent here, and share the warning. Apparently Norton catches this (I'm installing it now on the server) but I don't know if it would have prevented the infection and saved my data. I'm also pretty pissed at the PHPBB people for not including an auto-update system.

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2004, 12:15 PM

Just an FYI: This vunerability is actually within PHP itself, but phpBB is the only platform affected by it.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 12:22 PM

I had just been asking about this in web dev forum, wondering why my hosts have been slack about upgrading PHP to 4.3.10. Note Phil's host's response...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=239345
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Forum Links
Forum Rules