Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 dusting issue.

G5 dusting issue.
Kilik101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2005, 06:16 PM

About once a month i make a it chore to open up my DP 1.8G5 to whip it down a bit of dust and other particles that may have drifted in. However i'm a bit concerned about in-between the vents of the huge heatsink. As we all know excessive dust is a terrific insulator when it comes to computers. So i was wonder weather i'm worrying over nothing or is there in fact a way to take care of whatever dumps of accumulated dust which may or may not lay in-between there.

thanks a lot for your time. appreciated.
( Last edited by Kilik101; Jan 14, 2005 at 06:21 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2005, 04:29 PM

I posted a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, but I really should have made reference to the heat sinks, since I've wondered about that too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 04:35 PM

Does dust really accumulate there ? I don't see much. I guess there is an almost constant airflow, which wouldn't allow for dust to settle, I think... correct me if I'm wrong, and tell me how to clean it out

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2005, 04:59 PM

Yeah there was a substantial amount of dust there last time I looked, and that was when my G5 was quite new, about five months ago.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

reader50
Administrator
Jan 15, 2005, 05:48 PM

My PM G4 gets dusted inside every few months. I use a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment and the computer off. Don't try this if your hose or attachments are made of metal.

The suction is enough to do a decent job between the heatsink fins.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2005, 07:51 PM

My solution

Air conditioner filter foam and double-sided tape from the local hardware store... about 95% effective... picture taken just before its every-two-week vacuum... actually looks better than the picture... IMVHO.

P.S. According to HardwareMonitor, no it doesn't get any hotter, nor do the fans rev any higher... even with the 3 HDs sitting in front of the CPU intake fans.

P.P.S. There are only two vertical stripes because the third 250 GB 7K250 is on its way back from Hitachi
( Last edited by mainemanx; Jan 16, 2005 at 05:42 PM. )
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules