Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 1.3 - UI thread a lot more beach-bally?

Safari 1.3 - UI thread a lot more beach-bally?
Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 08:27 AM

I'd like to know if anyone else has the same usage patterns and experiences with the Transition between Safari 1.2 and 1.3.

I tend to have many, many pages/tabs open in Safari. I will frequently open a forum, and scan the threads, opening some of them in new tabs.

I also tend to leave quite a few windows open at the same time - e.g. I'll leave a page open as reference material, or leave a page open as a reminder of something I have to do.

Anyway -

It seems to me that for users like me Safari 1.3 blocks the UI a lot more than 1.2 did.

I used to be able to start loading several tabs in the background while still scrolling the active page.

Now - if more than one tab is loading in the background, the UI will rapidly beachball - I can't even scroll or change tabs - and the successfully clicking links becomes somewhat hit-and-miss.

I have a pet theory that they traded-off UI performance, for increased rendering speed.

Basically I now find tabs almost an impediment to browsing... But I don't hear other people complaining - so either:

A: - few people browse like me. (unlikely I'd have thought)
B: - I have PithHelmet installed and this is causing problems (again - not an uncommon situation, so I'd have thought more people would be in the same position) (Also disabling PH seems not to affect the problem.)

So - I'm scratching my head a bit - does anyone else find Safari blocking the UI a lot? Or do I need to change my browsing habits?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 25, 2005, 09:12 AM

I don't use Tabs, but I often have lots of Safari windows open (eg. 8). No problem with beachballing.

I don't use PithHelmet though.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 09:29 AM

I get much less beachballing in 1.3. Powerbook 1.67 ghz, 1gb ram.

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 10:29 AM

Hmm - I've now tried zipping-up my InputManagers Directory (completely disabling SIMBL and its dependants).

Initial results are much better - I'll see what it's like after Safari's been running for a while.

Sigh.. - the web is so unpleasantly flashy now

Diggory Laycock  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 10:32 AM

Nice - the new version of the boards catches duplicate post-errors automatically.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2005, 08:10 PM

I always have tons of tabs open in Safari and it keeps on beachballing on me (forever so I have to force quit)

I've decided that I ****ing hate Safari and will use Firefox until Apple fixes their childish web browsing app. Firefox NEVER beachballs which loading a webpage in another thread.

risach
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 06:12 PM

Same browsing habits as Diggory Laycock, same observations (no PithtHelmet, though; just plain Safari).

That means: Safari 1.3 under 10.3.9 beachballs much more than Safari 1.2.x under 10.3.8 --
I just hope that Safari 2.0 and Tiger will fix this; I am not going to abandon Safari which is for me the best browser on OS X (speed period. Firefox is nice and provides alot of useful plugins, but it is slower when used seriously, ie. a lot of tabs etc).
Apple has to fix Safari 1.3, offer us all the nice new features but not at the price of annoying beach-balling.
I hope Apple has already done with Safari 2.0 -- although, there should be something done for the guys staying with Panther, not leaving them in the cold. Safari 1.3.1 is needed!

Forum Links
Forum Rules