Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > WPA problem

WPA problem
nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2005, 12:08 PM

I just enabled WPA on my D-Link DI-614+ router

If I type in my passphrase every time I want to connect, I connect and get a signal/connection every time

If i tell OS X (10.4.1) to save my passphrase in the keychain, when I try to connect (through both internet connect and the menu bar airport icon) it will say airport is on and connected, but I have no signal or connection until I delete my phrase from keychain and go back to typing it in

Saving the password works fine on an XP SP2 machine downstairs

nuggetman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2005, 11:02 AM

problem solved... i changed the router SSID from "di-614+" to "dlink" and no more problems... guess tiger doesn't like punctuation in SSIDs

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2005, 12:40 PM

It's a good idea to change the SSID from the default anyway. Leaving defaults in place makes it easier for an intruder to use your network, and potentially do damage to your data. ALWAYS CHANGE THE ADMIN PASSWORD IMMEDIATELY! Yes I'm shouting. It is that important. A lot of routers and access points will let you alter their configurations through wireless, so leaving a default password in place leaves the device open to hijacking.

My personal preference for your SSID would be something like "Nuggetman." It's distinctive, but it doesn't say anything about the hardware you're using. Every now and then a hole in firmware could crop up, and telling the world what device you're using could expose you to a real insecurity. Why give the bad guys information they don't need?

Edit: clarified wording-I didn't understand it either!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules