Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook hard drive replacement

powerbook hard drive replacement
nuggetman
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2005, 05:00 PM

So my powerbook HD died yesterday
Apple wanted $325 for an out of warranty repair

I bought a 60 gig 5400rpm harddrive (upgraded from 4200... wanted an 80 gig but I could only get one online and didn't want to wait, I needed one NOW) at BestBuy for $80 after rebate, sat down with my roommates and a guide from PBFixit.com, and it was working again within 2 hours. As long as you keep your screws organized (they even give you an organizer sheet w/ the guide) it's a surprisingly easy task. (Except for the genuis Apple engineer who decided the 3 screws in the battery bay, which you get no leverage on to begin with, should have LOCKTIGHT (also known as Threadlock) on them )

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2005, 05:28 PM

Very encouraging.I want to go whole hog though. Now where is that 100 GB 7200 HD...And the DL optical drive; if I'm gonna monkey with my PB I wanna do it all in one shot.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 19, 2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by nuggetman
(Except for the genuis Apple engineer who decided the 3 screws in the battery bay, which you get no leverage on to begin with, should have LOCKTIGHT (also known as Threadlock) on them )
At the factory, all the screws have loc-tite on them. It's not unreasonable for it to be replaced later on.

Regardless, with proper screwdrivers (precision-ground heads) and proper use (lots of downward force to ensure the screwdriver doesn't slip), one should have NO problem cracking the loc-tite.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules