Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How about this Laptop ?

How about this Laptop ?
malcolm347
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 09:31 PM

Sorry if i am straying from the whole mac forum thing but, how are Compaq laptops ? Im trying to decide between that and whatever other good laptops i can find. Anyone heard about reviews or had experience with one ? Any help would be great !

Malcolm

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2005, 09:44 PM

A guy I know that does tech repair says that Toshiba and Compaq have the worst repair records of most laptop makers. Having said that, I know someone with one that has worked fine for two and a half years.
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2005, 09:53 PM

I'm not a fan of Toshiba, Compaq, or Sony. The build quality is generally poor, the support sucks, and most of them are downright ugly (Sony X505 is an obvious exception).

I like Dell Latitudes (inexpensive, great warranties, good build quality) and IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T or X series (pricey, good warranties, great build quality).

dialo
Senior User
Oct 24, 2005, 11:31 PM

Depends on your price range. If you are looking in the powerbook price range, the HP business laptops and thinkpads are both fantastic, and cost between $1500 and $2500. If you want to stay around $1000, those compaq v2000/v2000z laptops look nice, but you aren't going to find anything comparable to an ibook at that price. Check out notebookreview.com for a lot of good info. I suggest staying away from dell.

Forum Links
Forum Rules