Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Aargh! NAS won't support this, won't support that...!

Aargh! NAS won't support this, won't support that...!
brachiator
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 01:06 AM

Hi all,

I recently bought a Buffalo Linkstation NAS, expressly for the purpose of backing up my Powerbook. Now that I am trying it, I find out that it:
  • it doesn't support transfer of files over 2GB. This is, as best I can figure, a limitation of AFP versions under 3.1 or something and, I guess, of SMB.
  • it will not accept several of my mp3s (my precious, my precious) and AACs that have certain characters in the filenames (e.g., Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra tracks with Japanese characters in the titles).
  • syncupx, Synk and iBackup all return multiple backup errors, including the mp3 problem above. Seems I may as well just go back to backing up to DVD...
  • Retrospect can't do anything because of the 2GB limit
  • even using Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner doesn't seem probable, because they use images and they'd be over 2GB, too.

Frustrating. Any suggestions? I'm not beyond returning the Buffalo and buying another NAS, but are there any suggestions? I really would prefer a NAS to a FW drive or something. Was the AFP without the 2GB limit instituted in Tiger or in Panther?

Thanks! Mike

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 18, 2005, 04:50 PM

There's "NAS," and there's "SAN." Network Attached Storage is often the lesser animal because it can be implemented very simply and without full server functionality. Storage Area Networks, on the other hand, tend to be more robust and support much more than NASs do. They're also often more expensive, but not much more. It sounds like you need more of an SAN box than an NAS box.

Search and ye shall find... There are several (at least) retail-level SAN boxes available, but I don't have a name off the top of my head.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules