Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cisco VPN and Rosetta on an intel iMac

Cisco VPN and Rosetta on an intel iMac
jimbosyn
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:37 AM

Hi Guys,

Can any of you lucky intel iMac owners possibly answer this for me?

Does anyone know if the Cisco VPN client will work under Rosetta? This tool is very essential on "work from home" days and after hours system maintenance.

My theory is that it will NOT work since it uses kernel extensions to operate. Does anyone else use the Cisco VPN client and know if it will work?

I actually have a possible workaround using a linux box as a vpn client gateway, but his is an ugly hack.

This is the only real show stopper for me. I want my MBP!

If anyone who has an intel iMac could test this for me, it would be greatly appreciated!

-jimbo

KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2006, 03:00 AM

I don't have an Intel Mac, but I remember from the original Rosetta Developer Docs that any app that makes use of kernel extensions will not run under Rosetta.

Quickly looking at my Cisco account, they haven't released an update to the VPN client since December 9th. My guess is they are probably working on an update, who knows how quickly though. The have had plenty of Intel experience since they develop clients for nearly all OSes that run on x86.
15 inch MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 7200 RPM 100GB HDD.

Dual 2.5 GHz Power Mac G5, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, ATI Radeon X800XT.

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2006, 01:05 PM

Sorry to answer my own question, but I found a thread in the Apple support forums that answers this. According to a user there, the cisco vpn client does now work on his intel iMac. Oh well. Does anyone know of a ciscovpn alternative?

-jimbo

eaoki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2006, 08:52 AM

Looks like Cisco has a new VPN client available that supports MacTel:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12696

I don't have my Cisco ID handy, so I can't check it out, but would be interested in your experiences.

mavherzog
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2006, 08:56 AM

Lucky for me, we use openvpn. And I absolutely love Tunnelblick!

jimbosyn  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by eaoki
Looks like Cisco has a new VPN client available that supports MacTel:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12696

I don't have my Cisco ID handy, so I can't check it out, but would be interested in your experiences.

Sweet!!! Once my macbook pro arrives, I'll let you guys know how cisco vpn 4.9 fares!

Forum Links
Forum Rules