Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Run Windows and Mac OS X in parallels

Run Windows and Mac OS X in parallels
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 06:49 AM

It seems there is now a software that can run Windows in parallel to OS X in a virtual machine without rebooting. That of course would be much more useful than Boot Camp.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 07:09 AM

Installing now...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
That of course would be much more useful than Boot Camp.
Yes and no. I doubt very much that this would be able to run games properly, which is one of the big attractions for many people in running WIndows on a Mac. But I agree that to be able to run Windows programs at the same time as Mac OS X programs would be great. That said, I was really hoping for something that wouldn't require installing an entire virtual machine (an OS within an OS) a la Virtual PC, but would rather allow you to just run a Windows program by itself, within OS X. I believe this is possible in Linux, and should be doable in some form on the Mac.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 07:37 AM

Right, I installed it, and first impressions are not great. Performance is OK, but not nearly as good as it is when booting into OSX. The program also feels clunky and unfinished - though it is a beta program. Couple o' screen shots:

[removed oversize images --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Apr 6, 2006 at 04:06 PM. )
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

TETENAL  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
I doubt very much that this would be able to run games properly, which is one of the big attractions for many people in running WIndows on a Mac.
Most people are using a gaming console for games anyway.

Let's say you are doing web development and need to check in Internet Explorer for Windows, then running Windows in parallel to Mac OS X is much more useful than constant rebooting. Or let's say you have some small but critical application that is Windows only which you need for work. You might need to be able to run this at the same time as the other applications you are working with and couldn't even get any work done if you rebootet only for such an app.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Most people are using a gaming console for games anyway.

Let's say you are doing web development and need to check in Internet Explorer for Windows, then running Windows in parallel to Mac OS X is much more useful than constant rebooting. Or let's say you have some small but critical application that is Windows only which you need for work. You might need to be able to run this at the same time as the other applications you are working with and couldn't even get any work done if you rebootet only for such an app.
"Most people"?

No, you're wrong. 6 million people playing WoW, 500,000 playing EQ2, millions more playing Guild Wars and Lineage II, not to mention Far Cry, Quake, UT, etc. No, there are still a lot of people using their PC for gaming.

You're 100% right about testing web browsers and such.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2006, 09:10 AM

OMG!! It's the end of the Mac OS! We're all going to die!!!!

!!!!!!

Oh. Sorry. Anyway, this looks like a better solution for most people than Boot Camp. If I'm going to run Windows on an Intel Mac (when I get one), I'd prefer not to have to leave OS X entirely.

Hopefully this and other virtualization products will allow you to use the same volume you would use for booting, like you can do with OS 9 on pre-2003 Macs.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 09:57 AM

iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

sined13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 01:29 PM

Not to say that the solution from Parallels isn't (or won't be) a good one, but personally, I would go with VMWare when/if they release a version for Mac.

I am a PC guy (soon to buy my first Mac) and VMWare is a proven and quite stable application. For those of you not familliar with VMWare, it's what Parallels does, but they've been at it for quite some time.

IMHO, I think a combination of virtualization software + dual boot (in 10.5) will be the way to go as it (obviously) provides the best of both worlds.

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2006, 01:30 PM

Not the end of Mac OS. Maybe a wider customer base will buy Intel Macs due to this and get a hands on experience with Mac os compared to the XP garbage. This is a big gamble. either it will take Apple to new highs or .... well.....

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
OMG!! It's the end of the Mac OS! We're all going to die!!!!

!!!!!!

Oh. Sorry. Anyway, this looks like a better solution for most people than Boot Camp. If I'm going to run Windows on an Intel Mac (when I get one), I'd prefer not to have to leave OS X entirely.

Hopefully this and other virtualization products will allow you to use the same volume you would use for booting, like you can do with OS 9 on pre-2003 Macs.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 02:02 PM

It would be handy if the Parallels / VMWare app could use the same install of Windows as Boot Camp, no ?

dawho9
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
It would be handy if the Parallels / VMWare app could use the same install of Windows as Boot Camp, no ?
I was thinking about this last night. That would be very interesting indeed (of course the read-only NFTS stuff would need to be handled).

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 04:05 PM

Parallels is an application (it's even in the Dock in the screenshots). We have a whole amazing Applications forum for discussing applications. Try it. It doesn't bite (often)!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules