Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This "SERMON SEASON" of South Park Sux Azz

This "SERMON SEASON" of South Park Sux Azz
abe
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 02:43 AM

This "Sermon Season" of South Park sucks ass.

Don't take my word for it.

Try this experiment.

Take a recording of any of this season's episodes so far, the first one of the season (the "Chef" episode), the "Hybrid" episode and the current one, (the "Cartoon Wars" episode) and compare them to ANY three episodes from previous seasons.

ANY OTHER THREE EPISODES.

Keep track of how many times you laugh.

The current season episodes will lose.

In all three episodes I may have laughed out loud 4 or five times. That's the average number of laughs I usually count in ONE episode. Sometimes I laugh non-stop through the whole show.

But not with this season's stinkers.

They are preachy and heavy handed and they lack spark, wit and irreverence.

My theory is that these writers were hired so the producers could say the unpopular things they want to say and then when the targets of their skewering get sufficiently pissed off (or at the end of this season or when viewers rise up in outrage at the crappy writing, whichever comes first) and raise enough hell the writers can be canned and everybody will be happy.

I'm calling this the SERMON SEASON because they are preaching about EVERYTHING and it's dull and boring preaching, at that!

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

meelk
Baninated
Apr 10, 2006, 02:52 AM

I'm confused as to which south park youve been watching in previous years where they didnt preach about everything. South Park is a preachy show.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
I'm confused as to which south park youve been watching in previous years where they didnt preach about everything. South Park is a preachy show.
This is not a matter for debate.

If you've seen shows before this season and you've watched this season's episodes you know what I mean.

If you don't meet both sets of requirements, then you have no point of comparison.

No offense intended.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Well, that's a relief! Whew.

(that means this thread is just blogging and can be locked right away, right?)

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by analogika
Well, that's a relief! Whew.

(that means this thread is just blogging and can be locked right away, right?)
If you have seen this season's three episodes and at least any three shows from previous seasons of South Park, weigh in.

If not, then piss off.

And, I'm trying to be nice to you here.

(Only partially because I know how much you hate my being nice and how much it gets under your skin! )

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2006, 04:04 AM

don't be a retard, c'mon. 1000 posts in 1-2 months is pretty bad. you should seek help.
ice

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
don't be a retard, c'mon. 1000 posts in 1-2 months is pretty bad. you should seek help.
I seek your help by asking that you confine your comments to the thread topic.

Thanks for the recognition of this minor milestone in my fabled posting career.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 05:12 AM

South Park is always preachy about current events. Almost all of the time it's funny. This season is no exception to that.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 10, 2006, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
Ah Ice, I expected a better slam from you.

Been drinking tonight?
Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
South Park is always preachy about current events. Almost all of the time it's funny. This season is no exception to that.
Eh, the Chef episode wasn't funny so much as it was a message to the Chef.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:20 AM

You are defending it's REPUTATION.

I LOVE what they've done til this season.

It isn't as funny.

Tell me you watched South Park's, "Family Guy/Cartoon Wars" episode, this past week, and found it up to South Park's same comedic standards.

You can't.

Or maybe you think that Big Wheels segment racing down the highway was hilarious.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Ah Ice, I expected a better slam from you.

Been drinking tonight?

Eh, the Chef episode wasn't funny so much as it was a message to the Chef.
Right.

And the Hybrids episode was a message to smug people (liberals) who buy hybrids and smell their own farts.

And the Family Guy/Cartoon Wars episode was a message to the American people about the threat of Islam to our culture and values.

I'm not calling them out on their message. I'm calling them out on not being funny.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 06:34 AM

The season is ok. Season 9 started slow, too. Of course, they've set the bar high with 7 and (especially) 8.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
The season is ok. Season 9 started slow, too. Of course, they've set the bar high with 7 and (especially) 8.
Slow? Is that the only comment you have about the season, so far...ok but slow?

The three episodes this season are more than just a temporary abe-rration. It is a trend that looks to last at LEAST one more episode. (I'd bet the whole season is going to be like this.)

I'll keep a running tally of people's opinions here on each subsequent episode.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 10, 2006, 07:20 AM

I don't know, I thought the "Smug" episode was pretty funny.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 07:23 AM

I don't know, I thought the "Smug" episode was pretty funny.
Them smelling their own farts was hilarious.

What else did you like?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2006, 07:28 AM

Nope, still laughing my titties off.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 10, 2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Them smelling their own farts was hilarious.

What else did you like?
Anyone that makes fun of Clooney's smugness is funny to me.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Nope, still laughing my titties off.
Sorry. Brits don't count. Benny Hill and Monty Python excepted, your collective sense of humor is like your taste in food...you'll call almost ANYTHING satisfying.

That's why more of OUR hit TV shows become hits there than vice versa.

Even though South Park has suffered a tremendous drop off in the direction of it's writing and conception this season it's STILL 10 degrees funnier than anything you blokes currently have.

So, of course you'd still be laughing.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 07:55 AM

Anyone that makes fun of Clooney's smugness is funny to me.
Well, that accounts for two laughs.

Then, there was one or two from the Chef episode. And another one or two in the Family Guy/Cartoon Wars episode and the average is about 2 laughs per episode.

"Roseanne" could do better than that. Joanie Loves Chachi was about that funny. And they spared us the heavy handed preaching, too!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Sorry. Brits don't count. Benny Hill and Monty Python excepted, your collective sense of humor is like your taste in food...you'll call almost ANYTHING satisfying.

That's why more of OUR hit TV shows become hits there than vice versa.
Actually, it's probably because you colonial blokes don't have such a wide sense of humour. We have to have a wide sense of humour to live here.

Originally Posted by abe
Even though South Park has suffered a tremendous drop off in the direction of it's writing and conception this season it's STILL 10 degrees funnier than anything you blokes currently have.
Currently (and for about the last decade), yes. Since 1997 we don't need to invent new comedy, we can just watch BBC Parliament.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Actually, it's probably because you colonial blokes don't have such a wide sense of humour. We have to have a wide sense of humour to live here.

Currently (and for about the last decade), yes. Since 1997 we don't need to invent new comedy, we can just watch BBC Parliament.
But you're just so darn agreeable that I can't feel anything but good-natured pity at your cultural impoverishment.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 10:09 AM

Oh, abe, how wrong are you?

I was laughing my azz off during the Cartoon Wars episode. I love the Family Guy, but when Cartman was going on about "at least my jokes have something to do with the story" I was laughing hard.

The whole episode was funny on so many levels. Making fun of the Danish cartoon overreaction to making fun of Comedy Central itself for supposedly pulling an episode rerun to please it's corporate parents who were pleasing Tom Cruise.

Damn funny.

The Chef episode was great too. I laughed at how they took clips of his voice and made him say things that he'd have never said - but not hiding the obvious fact they were doing it.

I disagree with you, man. These were funny episodes. Maybe you didn't enjoy them as much, but I found them great.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 10:13 AM

There have always been preachy episodes just like these... but the are usually spaced out more. We've had three in a row.

South Park really hit an amazing high in seasons 4-8 and I was shocked to see it constantly getting better. It's odd that all of a sudden 9 and 10 have been pretty lackluster so far.

I don't think I'm as down on the latest three episodes as you are, but there is definitely something missing.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 10:17 AM

The show has always been preachy. It is no more or less so this season. The show has always been hit or miss with its comedy as well. Like most shows, the hits decrease as the show ages. South Park is the same way, although it's been a while since I liked an episode.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 10:19 AM

You can't win them all. But overall South Park has been, and is, a funny show.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl
The show has always been preachy. It is no more or less so this season. The show has always been hit or miss with its comedy as well. Like most shows, the hits decrease as the show ages. South Park is the same way, although it's been a while since I liked an episode.
Truth.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 10:58 AM

what about the PSP/schiavo one? that was pretty pointed. i think you're just blowing smoke again A_W.

i thought the cartoon wars one was really timely and needed.

meelk
Baninated
Apr 10, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by abe

If you've seen shows before this season and you've watched this season's episodes you know what I mean.

If you don't meet both sets of requirements, then you have no point of comparison.

No offense intended.
I've seen every damn season there is to see, moron. Why post a thread if you dont want "debate". The world isnt going to just agree with you and roll over and die.

btw: you have over 1000 posts in less than a MONTH. Get a life. I thought I was overposting, but you're a joke.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by abe
Opinion is not a matter for debate?

Uhhh ok.

baw
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 12:35 PM

The new season is hilarious. Good stuff!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 12:58 PM

I thought the Chef episode was downright f**kin' hilarious.

"I wanna make loove to your anus, Kyle!"

Man, what a couple of funny bastards Matt and Trey are.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by abe
Tell me you watched South Park's, "Family Guy/Cartoon Wars" episode, this past week, and found it up to South Park's same comedic standards.

You can't.

Or maybe you think that Big Wheels segment racing down the highway was hilarious.
I watched South Park's "Family Guy/Cartoon Wars" episode, this past week, and found it up to South Parks same comedic standards.

Never tell me what my own opinions are again. And blow it out your ass.

dialo
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 03:32 PM

South park simply isn't as good as it used to be. Not only has it become increasingly topical, but it has become increasingly obviously topical. The newer ones are just lazy and not nearly as funny as the episodes from the late 90's.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2006, 05:01 PM

I agree, this season is really not funny, particularly the Chef episode. Too much animation, lame jokes, it is about time bid South Park adieu.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dialo
South park simply isn't as good as it used to be. Not only has it become increasingly topical, but it has become increasingly obviously topical. The newer ones are just lazy and not nearly as funny as the episodes from the late 90's.

YOU sir, are a man of discernment!

The slow, gradual erosion over the years has NEVER been as noticeable as the decline this year, IMO.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:10 PM

I watched South Park's "Family Guy/Cartoon Wars" episode, this past week, and found it up to South Parks same comedic standards.

Never tell me what my own opinions are again. And blow it out your ass.
I'll tell you that some people love to sing and won't, for a minute, believe they can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Everyone around them knows it. But these (ignorance is blissful) folks just try to sing as if they believe they are Pavarotti.

It brings them pleasure and so we all just wince a bit, knowing they are a bit off-key, and proceed with whatever it is we are doing.

Oz, I'm glad you enjoy South Park.

P.S. I'd look into that hostility/rage thing if I were you.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
I thought the Chef episode was downright f**kin' hilarious.

"I wanna make loove to your anus, Kyle!"

Man, what a couple of funny bastards Matt and Trey are.
Matt and Trey ARE funny.

I'll bet you they had LESS to do with this season's creative direction than they have in past years.

How long should they toil away at this endeavor before they are allowed to get away from the office, as it were, and enjoy the fruits of their labors?

The people they left in charge to run the store are not the smart asses they are. Matt and Trey seem to have (IMO) chosen people who are middle managers. They haven't the brilliance or the pioneering spirit of the founders. They do, however, have skills in animation and Saturday morning or other types of animated entertainment. They aren't subject to the same eccentricities as those who have the spark of the naughty, mischievous, creatively outrageous child still living within.

(SOUND OF SWEET IDYLLIC MUSIC) These folks are safe. And well mannered. House broken. Predictable. Steady. They have track records and a beautiful resume and personal demo reel. They do and say the right things. They have admirable taste and self discipline. They have lovely families and are bright and responsible. You can trust them to be good citizens...

(SCREEECH SOUND OF PHONOGRAPH NEEDLE SKIDDING ACROSS VINYL RECORD TO A HALT)

While they ruin your franchise.

And NO I have no knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes there. I'm just postulating based on what I see on the screen and using my wealth of knowledge and experience to try to understand what the cause of this slowly evolving train wreck might be.

I could be wrong about the behind the scenes stuff (though I'd bet I'm right), but the on screen stuff is DEFINITELY (and to you jerks who spell definitely as "DEFIANTLY" I laff at you!) sub-par.

And because some of you seemingly need others to tell you what to think here it is:

You may now begin thinking South Park has "Jumped The Shark.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by meelk
I've seen every damn season there is to see, moron. Why post a thread if you dont want "debate". The world isnt going to just agree with you and roll over and die.

btw: you have over 1000 posts in less than a MONTH. Get a life. I thought I was overposting, but you're a joke.
If I'm a joke, at LEAST I'm funny!

Wish I could say the same for this season of SP.

Thanks for the recognition.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 05:39 PM

I don't get Comedy Central, so I've only seen the Chef ep. so far this Season.

I'm semi-new to South Park, I've liked them for many years, but I never saw many of the episodes. Now with UPN syndicating the show I've gotten to see all the hilariousness I've missed over the years.

It would be a damn shame if you're right, first Simpsons, then Family Guy (kinda, last night's was outrageously funny), and now this.

Bring back Futurama!!!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by baw
The new season is hilarious. Good stuff!
Meh.

Test market focus group respondent identified only as "baw" comments on EZ Squirt colored ketchup: "The new colors are hilarious. Good stuff!
EZ Squirt
Heinz's attempt of coloring ketchup green, purple, and blue which flopped in the marketplace.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
I don't get Comedy Central, so I've only seen the Chef ep. so far this Season.

I'm semi-new to South Park, I've liked them for many years, but I never saw many of the episodes. Now with UPN syndicating the show I've gotten to see all the hilariousness I've missed over the years.

It would be a damn shame if you're right, first Simpsons, then Family Guy (kinda, last night's was outrageously funny), and now this.

Bring back Futurama!!!
THANK YOU!

I hope I am wrong.

I'd rather be wrong and enjoy the rest of the brilliant future episodes ahead than to be right and have nothing but memories and reruns to console myself with.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Bosell
I agree, this season is really not funny, particularly the Chef episode. Too much animation, lame jokes, it is about time bid South Park adieu.
I'm hoping they can turn it around. If I'm right that Matt and trey have simply decided to try to take some time off and left some "normal" people to keep the "lights on" while they are away they may come back for AT LEAST ONE final kick-ass season before hanging it up for good.

They might have come to really understand how irreplaceable they are!

OR......

I just thought of this.

The film they made required them to shift their efforts and probably dilute their comedic contributions to the TV show because they had to spread their 'goodness' over such a wide array of projects.

Maybe this season reflects their workload from the previous film or an upcoming effort.

Hmm, anyone know anything?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
Opinion is not a matter for debate?

Uhhh ok.
You can't WIN in this kind of matter. So there's no debating it, as such. You have your opinion. And I have mine.

If we have both seen three of this season's episodes and three episodes from any previous season and your opinion differs from mine you just have warped appreciation of what is or isn't funny.

If you think this season is as funny as any before it, THAT is an opinion.

If you can't see any difference between this season and previous seasons in terms of the show's writing, then you haven't yet developed critical thinking skills.

It's like you've been fed Filet Mignon all this time but for all you know it may just as well have been dog food.

Because now that the episodes have become likened to dog food and you can't tell the difference, then we were spending WAAAAAY too much on your Ken'l Rations.

No offense.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 06:11 PM

But there have been episodes just like these in previous season. It's not like these are different. They just usually don't give them to us three in a row.

I'll admit that the hyper-political, drive the message home with a hammer episodes aren't usually as good as the more outlandish or down to earth ones, I don't think the three this season have been that bad. None of them have been outstanding, but there definitely much worse episodes out there.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
what about the PSP/schiavo one? that was pretty pointed. i think you're just blowing smoke again A_W.

i thought the cartoon wars one was really timely and needed.
Timely and needed is great. I think it performed an important public service.

And maybe you are right. Maybe the crowd that only watches lightweight fare and primarily comedic offerings might need SOME show to tell them the facts of life that they WON'T get from Jon Stewart.

Maybe Matt and Trey are serving America the medicine it needs and in a way it can accept it.

In WWII Bugs Bunny and all of the major cartoon characters served the war effort and gave back to America in times of need. Maybe South Park is doing the same.

Sacrificing laffs for sugar coated messages hammered hizz-ome so it won't be missed by the kids on any of their substances.

Where previous seasons were to make the creative teams laugh, this season may be all about giving back to America.

Ok. In that light, I withdraw my criticism.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2006, 06:22 PM

Can someone please close this thread? If the thread starter is unwilling to hear oppinions which differ from his own, I'd suggest moving this to his blog where he can prevent comments on it.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
But there have been episodes just like these in previous season. It's not like these are different. They just usually don't give them to us three in a row.

I'll admit that the hyper-political, drive the message home with a hammer episodes aren't usually as good as the more outlandish or down to earth ones, I don't think the three this season have been that bad. None of them have been outstanding, but there definitely much worse episodes out there.
I'm willing to allow that the creators are donating this season to helping make America a better place and educate the audience. It may be like when MacNN has to back-up the servers or do routine maintenance stuff.

Many of the people who watch South Park are mentally twisted and the episodes this season have, when you look at it a certain way, attempted to round up the cattle that may have strayed from the rest of the herd.

Scientologists and child molesters are far from the herd and can't be saved. So, they were dealt with unmercifully. People who go too far with their hybrids and use it to lord their supposed superiority over the rest of us only needed to be ridiculed and then given a reprieve.

The impulse by the populace, the business world and by broadcast organizations to bow before the Islamic values system out of fear of reprisals or from political correctness is an important issue to address and so using two episodes to make the point is an indication of how important they really think it is.

Come to think of it, no one else is saying PUBLICLY what SP said this season and those things deserved being said.

So, !!!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 10, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles
Can someone please close this thread? If the thread starter is unwilling to hear oppinions which differ from his own, I'd suggest moving this to his blog where he can prevent comments on it.
Some of you will notice that even though I've changed my appraisal of the situation, some folks are still stuck on square one.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by abe
Timely and needed is great. I think it performed an important public service.

And maybe you are right. Maybe the crowd that only watches lightweight fare and primarily comedic offerings might need SOME show to tell them the facts of life that they WON'T get from Jon Stewart.

Maybe Matt and Trey are serving America the medicine it needs and in a way it can accept it.

In WWII Bugs Bunny and all of the major cartoon characters served the war effort and gave back to America in times of need. Maybe South Park is doing the same.

Sacrificing laffs for sugar coated messages hammered hizz-ome so it won't be missed by the kids on any of their substances.

Where previous seasons were to make the creative teams laugh, this season may be all about giving back to America.

Ok. In that light, I withdraw my criticism.

wow.

i find myself drawing a correlation between what southpark and the simpsons have become and family guy. as was evident in the cartoon wars episode (mrtwig.net for those who haven't seen it) there seems to be a lot of resentment in the southpark camp about family guys weird formulaic style (kind of like this one time when....). the simpsons is a staple and you can't really touch them, though i have been quite relieved with their subtlety lately. southpark is going through a bit of an identity crisis i'd surmise- they're not the only outlandish animated show on the block anymore, and they obviously don't want to be lumped in with family guy. i don't really know that they're going to find much picking fights with celebrities, but i do know that they are looking for the silver bullet gimmick to keep them alive because they're getting a lot of their thunder stolen by family guy.

will something along the lines of the maury povich episode happen again? probably not, southpark seems to be outgrowing just the straight shenanigans like that.

i don't know, i think i was just amazed that you actually listened to an outside opinion. especially mine.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2006, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
wow.

i don't know, i think i was just amazed that you actually listened to an outside opinion. especially mine.
Yes, you may consider me amazing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules