Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Building an Intel CPU worker

Building an Intel CPU worker
phantomac
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2006, 12:38 PM

I want to try to build an Intel worker for the Mac. Where do I find the sources? Only the client sources seem to be available.

boerke
Apr 10, 2006, 09:02 PM

just get the full version here-->
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php?dev=1
last macversion is universal.
Macmini duo almost as fast as G5 / 2.5

phantomac  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 01:45 AM

Thanks! I'll give that a try, though it's neither an optimized client nor worker. Having the Windows or Linux workers would be great.

phantomac  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2006, 07:02 AM

Wow. 8000 secs per WU on my Dual Core 2.0 GHz.
That's really slow.

boerke
Apr 12, 2006, 06:27 PM

Just try to fiddle around with optimized bits.
Could it be possible to take some PC ****?

trying it myself, but...lack of time....

rick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 03:37 PM

I'm currently working on the Intel Mac version, but see the recent post I made.

A client will be coming eventually, just not soon.

Unregistered999444
May 17, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by boerke
just get the full version here-->
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php?dev=1
last macversion is universal.
Macmini duo almost as fast as G5 / 2.5
I operate with 2 users on my iMac CoreDuo. For the user that has the SetiEnhanced running, everything is fine. Switching to the 2nd user, the finder slow way, way down; almost like the computer is frozen. Anyone else notice this?

reader50
Administrator
May 18, 2006, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered999444
I operate with 2 users on my iMac CoreDuo. For the user that has the SetiEnhanced running, everything is fine. Switching to the 2nd user, the finder slow way, way down; almost like the computer is frozen. Anyone else notice this?
By any chance, is the SETI user account a higher-priority account than the 2nd user account? ie: SETI on the root account, 2nd account a regular user. Or SETI on an admin account, 2nd account a regular user account.

Unregistered999444
May 18, 2006, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by reader50
By any chance, is the SETI user account a higher-priority account than the 2nd user account? ie: SETI on the root account, 2nd account a regular user. Or SETI on an admin account, 2nd account a regular user account.
Both accounts are admin accounts. SETI is running on the SETI user admin account. Not sure what you mean by root account? Under Activity Monitor, Seti is running under SETI user account, not root. When I look in the owners and permissions, The SETI user has "read and write" permissions for SETI client, Admin has "read only". Would that make a difference?

Unregistered999444
May 18, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered999444
Both accounts are admin accounts. SETI is running on the SETI user admin account. Not sure what you mean by root account? Under Activity Monitor, Seti is running under SETI user account, not root. When I look in the owners and permissions, The SETI user has "read and write" permissions for SETI client, Admin has "read only". Would that make a difference?
I installed the new firmware update this morning and restarted and the slowdown is gone!

rick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 09:51 AM

Alright! You Intel Mac toting sons of bitches, listen up!

I've just got a reply about the bug report I sent to Apple (i.e. the reason why I can't make an optimised Intel client). However, they say that they have been unable to reproduce the problem. This means one of three things:
  1. I have a hardware problem with my machine,
  2. I am hallucinating more than usual,
  3. they are lying to me.

Therefore, it would be extremely helpful if a bunch of you could run some code to prove that it is not 1 or 2 and that the International Communist Conspiracy has finally made it's way into Cupertino.

Okay, to do this you need to use the command line via Terminal. It shouldn't be too difficult though.
  1. Download the source code and executable (it's 20 MB). Decompress the "seti-code.tar" file and you'll get a "seti-code" folder.
  2. Put the folder on your desktop (so you can get to it easily via Terminal).
  3. Open Terminal.
  4. Assuming you put the folder on the desktop type: cd ~/Desktop/seti-code/work\ units/.
  5. Start the code running by typing: ./seti@home.
  6. Wait a bit until the code starts spewing out gibberish like this:
    Code:
    -- finished after loop 231 -- no. differences 1 = 8 no. differences 2 = 0 no. bytes copied = 524288 offset = 0 (0) groupSize = 131072 spectraPerGroup = 16384 numSpectra = 131072 spectraLen = 8 r1 = 0x3008040 i1 = 0x3408040 r2 = 0x3809040 i2 = 0x3c09040
  7. Stop the code running by pressing Ctrl-C.
  8. Copy the first chunk of the output (i.e. the bit between "finished after loop" and "i2 = " as above) and mail it to me. Also, please include a description of the system you're using (i.e. MacBook, iMac, etc.) and it's processor speed.

It's possible that you might not see any output in step 6. If this is the case, make sure that you don't get any output by leaving the code running for about 10 minutes (this should be way more than necessary, I normally get output within the first 30 seconds). Still mail me with your system info though.

rick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 11:03 AM

Thanks to those of you who ran the code. I've sent a reply back to Apple and I'll keep you up to date if anything changes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules