Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook 13: Bags!

Macbook 13: Bags! (Page 8)
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006, 09:17 PM

When I called Apple a few mintues ago the sales rep. recommended Brenthaven, STM and Tim Buck 2. Which of these do yall think would be the smartest buy for a mackbook? I saw this one on Apple and like it. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TC238LL%2FA

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2006, 11:50 PM

That looks like a nice bag. I have a TimBuk2 small classic messenger paired with an Incase sleeve and the combo has been working well.

kaido
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966
When I called Apple a few mintues ago the sales rep. recommended Brenthaven, STM and Tim Buck 2. Which of these do yall think would be the smartest buy for a mackbook? I saw this one on Apple and like it. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...lm=TC238LL%2FA
I have an STM Alley and like it. It's basically a sleeve with some pockets and a strap - it doesn't hold much more than the laptop but it does a good job. Available in black or green. There's a good photo review on the previous page (page 7) of this thread.

bilbo--baggins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 06:28 AM

I received my Booq Vyper XS2 5 minutes ago. My initial impression is that it's slightly less substantial than I expected, and most importantly the lip inside the zip doesn't seem deep enough to be sure it's protecting the macbook from the inner surface of the metal zip.

While I waited for the Vyper I've been using a Beez Classic 14" iBook case, and obviously it is a bit too big, but I've been really satisfied that it protects the macbook from the zip. I'm actually wondering whether to get the Macbook 13" version of the Beez case instead of using the Vyper.

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by bilbo--baggins
While I waited for the Vyper I've been using a Beez Classic 14" iBook case, and obviously it is a bit too big, but I've been really satisfied that it protects the macbook from the zip. I'm actually wondering whether to get the Macbook 13" version of the Beez case instead of using the Vyper.
I had been considering the Beez case too, especially with this new delay on the Rebound. But I haven't been able to find any US stores selling them. Anyone know if there are any?

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2006, 09:11 PM

Do they have a lot of cases at the Apple store?

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by kaido
I have an STM Alley and like it. It's basically a sleeve with some pockets and a strap - it doesn't hold much more than the laptop but it does a good job. Available in black or green. There's a good photo review on the previous page (page 7) of this thread.
How has it been working out? Do you wish you had bought something else?

gus2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 11:23 PM

I really wanted something like the STM Rebound or Shinza and have been disappointed with the delays from both of those companies. I decided to take a risk on the Rasfox (discussed previously around page 3 of the thread), and actually I am quite pleased.

It looks like they might have changed the sleeve while keeping the name. My fit is relatively snug, much more so than the pictures earlier in the thread. Just a little bit of wiggle room length and widthwise. The only size complaint is that the sleeve is a bit too thick, i.e. it would fit more tightly if the Macbook were about 1/4" thicker than it is. The polyurethane feels pretty much the same as in the rebound, maybe marginally softer. Sewing quality is decent, none of the staples or obviously bad seams mentioned earlier. Black with white piping looks sharp, and there is some pretty nice extra padding around the piping too. I would give it a B+ and will try to post some photos later. Also, the price is right: $20+$10 shipping.

Heebs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 07:46 AM

Just tossing in my reivew of the Crumple 13" backpack.

The removable sleeve is too tight on the corners in the bag, note that the corners have the least amount of padding of the whole sleeve so becareful! If they gave about another inch of room on either side that would make a much easier fit.

The bag has tons of pockets for all your bits and pieces.
It has a nice zipper cover so people cant access your bag without you knowing, it takes a quite a bit of manipulation to expose the zipper but not too much.
I am skeptical about whether the bag will fit a textbook with the macbook but I will keep testing it.

Its a very comfortable bag to be carrying all day, the straps are nicely padded and dont cut into your shoulders like other bags can.

All in all I dont know if it is worth the 130 bucks that Crumple wants for it. If the bag breaks in a little more and things have a looser fit then I think it'll be perfect.

kaido
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2006, 04:48 PM

How has it been working out? Do you wish you had bought something else?
It's been working out very well. It's a quality bag. I have mixed feelings on whether I should have bought something else. I wish there was a messenger bag available in the same size/shape that could also hold a textbook and a notebook for school; I like having a small messenger bag but it's just not very useful for school stuff.

I used it at work yesterday (I telecommute so I only go in occasionally). It was easy to carry around the office, but it's kind of annoying have to undo both flaps to get to the laptop, plus the velcro was kind of loud for the environment. I guess it just depends on what you'll use it for. If you need to carry around a lot of stuff or work in a quiet environment like an office or library, it may not be the best bag. Otherwise it's great. I've decided to keep it.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2006, 03:20 PM

Do you think th incase is any good?

uicandrew
Senior User
Aug 6, 2006, 08:36 AM

Do you think th incase is any good?
read the reviews on apple's website
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2006, 11:07 AM

Is there any other place to look other than Apple's website?

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2006, 02:03 PM

Is there any other place to look other than Apple's website?
Not sure, but there seems to be a consensus that the fit isn't quite right and the design makes it so that the zipper scratches the computer walls.

uicandrew
Senior User
Aug 6, 2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by weissinator
Not sure, but there seems to be a consensus that the fit isn't quite right and the design makes it so that the zipper scratches the computer walls.
it depends on what model you look at. the model with no shoulder strap/handles has a tendency to scratch the sides.

the model with the shoulderstrap and the handles don't seem to have a complaint about the scratches.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2006, 09:07 PM

So I guess I will buy the STM Alley

MisterX88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2006, 10:21 PM

I just received the STM Glove today. Took about a week and a half to ship from the US to Canada.

It fits the Macbook pretty snug and pretty much zero wiggle room. The zipper doesn't look like it will be contacting the laptop at all. I think this will do the job for me since I'll just slap it into another bag.

Dumb question but is there a small, simple case where I can just dump the power brick as well? I was thinking of some small neoprene camera case. Anybody else use something to hold the power supply or do you just dump it in the bag sans protection?

austincabot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2006, 06:10 PM

Hey guys, just thought I'd give you the heads up that Marware just put up their Sportfolio sleeve and sportfolio deluxe case on their website. Looks pretty slick. I just got my vaio sleeve in the mail today too. Arg. Anybody want a vaio sleeve for a reduced price?

magic_glitter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2006, 01:33 AM

Great thread, it's been really informative, thanks!! I got my 13" Macbook a month ago, and I need a case before university so I don't scratch it to death on the way to the Library

I'm debating between a TIMBUK2 sleeve, size XS, or a Gyms Pacific 13" sleeve. I noticed that, to my knowledge, Gyms Pacific wasn't mentioned here. Any reason?

GP sleeve: http://store.gymspacificstore.com/computerbags.html

TB2 sleeve: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/ca...?categoryId=35

Any thoughts, being mindful of my limited student budget?

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2006, 10:58 AM

Maybe because its feminine looking.. Naw just kidding. Most of the cases people talk about on this thread are sold on the Apple website.

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2006, 08:15 PM

I just happened across the Gyms Pacific sleeves in a shop today actually. They only had the 12" and 15" ones in stock (and claimed the MacBook ones were backordered), but they looked like reasonably good sleeves and were really cute. The poppy one was a bit more rigid on the sides, though it has a little less padding than the other at the zipper. It was hard to tell without putting a computer in there, but it didn't seem like the zipper would scratch, though the Sukie one seemed a bit more protected in that sense. I couldn't tell how well the design would wear though, if the ink used would eventually wear off. Might want to search for reviews to see about that.

Voch
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2006, 08:36 PM

Yay Marware bag! I may pick one up soon. I'm still using my Sportfolio from my TiBook...it fits pretty well but there's extra room in there. I get my TiBook back from my friend tomorrow so it'll need its home back.

magic_glitter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2006, 08:45 PM

Maybe because its feminine looking.. Naw just kidding. Most of the cases people talk about on this thread are sold on the Apple website.
Lol, hey some laptop owners ARE girls, ya'know! I went to the apple webbie - it sucks in terms of cases

Thanks to the person who saw one of the Gyms Pacific sleeves, the review helped It's so hard to find a good, protective sleeve that's not manly looking.

JayMan8081
Aug 14, 2006, 09:51 AM

Just a heads up to anyone in the Ohio area looking to buy a MacBook sleeve or bag at an Apple Store - the one at the Kenwood Centre near Cincinnati had nothing for MacBooks. I ended up go a few stores down to the SonyStyle store and picking up the Vaio sleeve for $23.99. I was severely disappointed that the Apple Store had nothing, since I made a special trip down from Dayton figuring they would have a good selection in store. I can recommend the Vaio sleeve as it fits very well and the zippers are well covered. Just wanted to let people know.

wojzuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2006, 05:33 PM

I just got my macbook and I am planning to get an STM bag..I am in Canada and the Apple store near me only sells the the medium loft. I know there is a small one specifially for the macbook but I would have to order it from the states which would cost me a lot more...

Do you guys think that the medium loft will be much too big or is it doable?

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2006, 08:44 PM

Do you think I should get the STM Alley or the The King Single Backpack from Crumpler?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 01:49 AM

After a bit if use I decided the STM Alley just wasn't for me. It's a great bag but I just like to have a bit more space, and messenger style bags just dont feel comfortable to me.

I decided to get the STM Small Spere backpack instead (in black+grey). Nice alternative if you can't quite get the hang of messenger style bags. Good storage in a smallish backpack. I really like how the laptop fits in the middle.

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 10:35 AM

I did receive my InvisibleSHIELD from ShieldZone -- I got the standard one. To me, it's very much worth it to protect the top of my computer from scratches and to protect the handrest areas from getting weird stains (I have the white Macbook).

Okay, I take that back. Just a word of warning, the handrests stain even with the InvisibleSHIELD on. Meh.

I guess it proves that it's nothing to do with dirty hands, at least. Anyone know if the replacements Apple is doing for this actually prevent staining?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 15, 2006, 10:48 AM

Okay, I take that back. Just a word of warning, the handrests stain even with the InvisibleSHIELD on. Meh.

I guess it proves that it's nothing to do with dirty hands, at least. Anyone know if the replacements Apple is doing for this actually prevent staining?
Did you have the shield installed from day 1 though?

It is possible that the chemical reaction took days and weeks to appear.

"Hello, what have we here?

eightbit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 11:42 AM

Does anyone have any internal pictures of the Timbuk2 Commute messenger bag? I'm thinking that it looks a little more spacious than their Laptop Messenger, and I could use the extra space.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/ca...m?categoryId=7

Thanks.

HouseSold
Senior User
Aug 15, 2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by eightbit
Does anyone have any internal pictures of the Timbuk2 Commute messenger bag? I'm thinking that it looks a little more spacious than their Laptop Messenger, and I could use the extra space.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/ca...m?categoryId=7

Thanks.
I added one of these Targus BackPacks to our sleeves, on sale now at BestBuy for only $19 this week (8/13--8/19) Well made and reasonably priced (50% of regular price).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=01

MacBook in a sleeve fits generously along with another 15.4" 'other platform' work computer. I hope there's no cat fight in the bag..

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2006, 09:20 PM

AppleSac "EddieWouldGo":

13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
80GB iPod [WHITE] with iSee
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2006, 10:15 AM

If I am getting the STM Alley should I get the incase sleeve to protect it while its inside?

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 06:27 PM

Just recieved the Soft Cell Vertical case from Tom Bihn, took a couple of pictures for you guys.

Click photos for more pictures on my flicker account., and to leave comments.

Size comparison pictures:

golfmacgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 07:06 PM

i haven't seen any mentions of the acmemade bags. Why? All the bags I've seen here are super boyish.I love my "slim" for the 12' powerbook- thinking of the "cargo" for my new macbook.
I also picked up a gyms pac "poppy" case in organge for when I want to put it in a tote bag.

ACME MADE

masugu
Senior User
Aug 18, 2006, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=JaNeDoe]AppleSac "EddieWouldGo":
[
Nice Satr Tats. I am planning to get one. Just one though.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

JaNeDoe
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=masugu]
Originally Posted by JaNeDoe
AppleSac "EddieWouldGo":
[
Nice Satr Tats. I am planning to get one. Just one though.
Cool! Mine definitely need to be touched up!
13" (Black) MacBook: 2.0GHz/1.5GB/120GB/SuperDrive. --Lacie 500GB External Hard Drive.--Red Monster Sleeve--Radtech ScreensavR--Mighty Mouse.
80GB iPod [WHITE] with iSee
*PROVEHITO IN ALTUM*

Ouhei
Aug 18, 2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by allexsimmons
Just recieved the Soft Cell Vertical case from Tom Bihn, took a couple of pictures for you guys.

Looks sweet, mine came in too, just in time for me to lug the Macbook around to classes next week.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

allexsimmons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 02:15 AM

same here, classes start monday.

ak1nza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by allexsimmons

I have the horizontal Tom Bihn and I love it. I also have the Vaio case and I like the TB case much more! Definitely recommend it.
BLACK MACBOOK (2GHZ, 2GB HDD, 80GB HDD, SUPERDRIVE) <=> RED APPLE LOGO!

oiosnap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 11:18 PM

I was in China a couple weeks ago and purchased a Crown Messenger Bag. It's got three main compartments, one for a laptop. It fits the macbook perfectly with or without a foofbag. It's able to hold a lot of stuff. I used it in China to hold magazines, dvds, two novels, a macbook, a digital camera, a cell phone, a nintendo DS, and all their respective chargers.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2006, 11:38 PM

I just purchased a Critical Mass messenger bag from Patagonia. The padded sleeve inside fits the Macbook perfectly. Don't let the picture fool you. This thing is huge! 2400 cu. inches of space

-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

ROB2246
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 06:43 PM

Hi I just received my Neocase yesterday for my Macbook. It is like the one I had for my Ibook but with slight change . It is deeper to fit the macbook more tightly. Well worth the 30.00

RadTech Products - NeoCase - Neoprene Use-In Notebook Case

Rob
( Last edited by ROB2246; Aug 21, 2006 at 09:16 PM. )

weissinator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 05:09 PM

So, my STM Rebound finally arrived. I'm not incredibly happy with the fit -- if I push my Macbook all the way into a corner, there's about a finger's width extra on the side and the bottom. When zipped shut, this leads to extra space inside. I emailed Radtech about it, and they said that it's supposed to fit that way but will shrink a little over the next couple weeks. Does anyone else have a polyurethane case (like the Rasfox one, maybe?) that has exhibited this shrinkage? I'm trying to decide whether to keep the case or give up on the polyurethane and just exchange it for a neoprene sleeve.

Thoughts?

jesrae
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by golfmacgirl
i haven't seen any mentions of the acmemade bags. Why? All the bags I've seen here are super boyish.I love my "slim" for the 12' powerbook- thinking of the "cargo" for my new macbook.
I also picked up a gyms pac "poppy" case in organge for when I want to put it in a tote bag.

ACME MADE
I actually posted about the AcmeMade bags a couple of pages back. They only have the slim in the MacBook size so far (and no designer fabrics, just three colors of nylon ballistic), and I just ordered one in green that should be getting to me on Thursday. If you want the cargo, you'd have to get the medium size (the one for the 15" laptops) which will be pretty oversized for a MB. You could always ask if they plan to make a MB-sized one in the near future though, but when I heard from them about a month ago, it didn't seem to be in the works.

ROB2246
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 09:19 PM

So, my STM Rebound finally arrived. I'm not incredibly happy with the fit -- if I push my Macbook all the way into a corner, there's about a finger's width extra on the side and the bottom. When zipped shut, this leads to extra space inside. I emailed Radtech about it, and they said that it's supposed to fit that way but will shrink a little over the next couple weeks. Does anyone else have a polyurethane case (like the Rasfox one, maybe?) that has exhibited this shrinkage? I'm trying to decide whether to keep the case or give up on the polyurethane and just exchange it for a neoprene sleeve.

Thoughts?
Hi Weissinator You might want to try the neocase from the same company . Fits the macbook well.

Rob

jaydon34
Senior User
Aug 21, 2006, 11:25 PM

wow that crown messenger bag is the best one of seen
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

renfield
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 05:10 AM

yeah, that crown bag is really somethin'. love the red!

uicandrew
Senior User
Aug 22, 2006, 02:13 PM

has anyone received their marware sportfolio for the macbook yet? if so, where did you order from? it seems like it is pre-order only right now.

Ouhei
Aug 22, 2006, 02:59 PM

I finally got around to taking pics of my Macbook bag setup. I decided on the North Face Recon bag with the Tom Bihn vertical loading Soft Cell size 6 sleeve. I wanted a sleeve for when I just wanted to take the Macbook alone and a bag that was large enough to take the Macbook and anything else I needed for classes.

Heres the Recon I got (its the Seven Summits: Vinson edition which is limited in supply, took me a while to find one online).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ouhei/222208700/

Heres the outermost compartment on the inside. I keep the AC charger in here as well as a few other things.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ouhei/222208758/

Last but not least, the main compartment with the laptop sleeve, the Tom Bihn sleeve fits perfectly in here and the combo keeps my Macbook nice and safe. It's also easy to grab the laptop out of the bag because its velcro.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ouhei/222208725/

Overall I love the setup, the bag is a great size because it doesn't look all that large, but can expand to fit everything I might need. The sleeve fits great and is built very well. You can see the fit in allexsimmons pics. It could be a bit more tight but its not loose enough to be an issue.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

Forum Links
Forum Rules