Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you live each day as if it were your last?

Do you live each day as if it were your last?
tavilach
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 02:03 AM

It's common knowledge that we'd all be better, happier people if we lived each day as if it were are last, but modern society often discourages this mentality. When you're a student doing an assignment that you despise, how can you live that day as if it were your last? In the workplace, when you're given a task that makes you just shudder (even if you typically enjoy your work), how can you live that day as if it were your last? Any sane person would go home immediately and spend time with his/her family, or something of that nature, but there has got to be a way to at least come close to the mentality that each day is your last. Has anyone gotten to that point? Any ideas?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2006, 07:45 AM

Student Monk: "Master, what must I do?"
Head Monk: "Have you had your breakfast?"
Student Monk: "Yes".
Head Monk: "Then wash your bowl".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

zmcgill
May 24, 2006, 09:52 AM

If everyone were to live a day as if it were their last, they would run up a huge credit card bill, commit some sort of crime spree, and probably get totally trashed. Not too different from how a lot of people live, but definitely not recommended for everyone...

hart
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 09:56 AM

I think about that all the time. But I'm in the middle of a long term transition in my life where my goal is off in the future and NOW ain't so great. So I try to balance today with something about a year from now.

It get's more complicated when you have kids because you start balancing THEIR future and their today too. Many days when they go off to school I think "what if this was the last time I saw them?". So I try to live as much of our lives together as "quality time" as I can manage so there's always something good. Of course, that works out well for all of us.

Maybe that's the key, living conciously (I can never spell that word) and making choices that balance the possibility that today is your last day with the possibility that you have another 70 years to work with so you better plan ahead.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2006, 09:59 AM

Good post Doofy

For me, I think the concept of living life as if every day were my last is very important. I try to do just that. But for me that is not living it as if I were dying this very night. When it is time, then my life ends. I have no problem with that. It is in fact a comforting feeling.

I say that the concept of living each day as if it were your last involves living life so that if today were your last you could look upon it and every day and think: "that day I was me, I was me. I did my best and put all my effort into it. I tried to be good and do good things. I can be proud of this day."

To think of others before oneself, to be honorable and honest with oneself and others. To live life as every day was one's last is about seizing the day, but also about using the day to be good. There may come other days and there may not. We can't do everything and we can't be everywhere. Such is life.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 10:01 AM

I live everyday of my life as if it were my first.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 10:07 AM

If I lived each day as if it were my last, there'd be a whole lot more dying of other people going on. So is not beliving in an after-life, the moral freedom to do anything.

zmcgill
May 24, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by MacManMikeOSX
If I lived each day as if it were my last, there'd be a whole lot more dying of other people going on.
That's what I'm talkin about.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
I live everyday of my life as if it were my first.
... you poop and pee in your pants daily?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2006, 10:18 AM

No.

paul w
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 10:21 AM

Unless I'm going to suffer an accidental and untimely death, I'd prefer not to think about how my last day is going to be - chances are I'll be either really old, or rather ill and infirm.

In other words, rather depressing thing to think about.

zmcgill
May 24, 2006, 10:22 AM

Although it's not a pleasant thing to think about, it's an important thing to keep in mind. It really makes you conider whether what you're doing now has any lasting value.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 10:29 AM

I really like Steve Jobs' commencement speech to the graduating class at Standford University in June 2005.

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart...

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2006, 11:39 AM

Here's a story for you:

Back when I was teaching, we got a new principal. One of my coworkers that had worked with this man in another district told me a story about him. It seems that he was diagnosed with cancer, that his prospects were pretty grim. Six months at the outside, nine with aggressive chemo. So our boy goes home, cashes out his retirement accounts, pulls his savings, leaves his wife in the dust and heads out for a trip around the world. If he's only got six months to live, he's going to do all those things he never had a chance to do. Blows all his money on beer, underage hookers and crank (supposition on my part) and lives like a rock star until the money runs out. Then he comes home to die. Six months passed, and he's still alive and kicking, and as a matter of fact he feels pretty good. At this point, boy-genius decides maybe THAT would be a great time to get a second opinion. The verdict? You don't have cancer. What a kick in the crotch that must have been. I would have loved to see the look on his face. I'm sure at that point he would have just as soon had the big C.

Now, this is the sort of thing that often turns out to be school urban legend, so one day during a teacher development day, I say "So I heard this story about you" and before I can even finish, he cuts me off and says "It's true and I don't like to talk about it". Gee, I wonder why...

So yeah, enjoy your life, and live to its most, just don't be stupid about it because it may well NOT be your last day.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Monique
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 12:03 PM

No I do not because some days are quite lousy. But I do appreciate the good and the very good things that happen in my life. Like when I saw for the first time the Thames River; I had to pinch myself because it was a dream come true; it was so incredible that I was looking at a place with such wonderful history, I could see the planes coming to attack London, the boats bringing the prisonners to the tower, etc. And when I was in Paris, the German troops coming down the Champs Elysees, the victory, etc.

hart
Senior User
May 24, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Good post Doofy

For me, I think the concept of living life as if every day were my last is very important. I try to do just that. But for me that is not living it as if I were dying this very night. When it is time, then my life ends. I have no problem with that. It is in fact a comforting feeling.

I say that the concept of living each day as if it were your last involves living life so that if today were your last you could look upon it and every day and think: "that day I was me, I was me. I did my best and put all my effort into it. I tried to be good and do good things. I can be proud of this day."

To think of others before oneself, to be honorable and honest with oneself and others. To live life as every day was one's last is about seizing the day, but also about using the day to be good. There may come other days and there may not. We can't do everything and we can't be everywhere. Such is life.

V
I'm not sure I can live up to this but it's an excellent place to start.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
... you poop and pee in your pants daily?
Yes. And I scream my head off too. Cool, eyh?

/What's funny though, is that I knew somebody was going to write a reply like this. Thanks for not disappointing me.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 24, 2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
Yes. And I scream my head off too. Cool, eyh?

/What's funny though, is that I knew somebody was going to write a reply like this. Thanks for not disappointing me.
I know, it was lame.

It was said in the same spirit as "That's what she said..." jokes on The Office.
(You know it's gonna be dumb, but you know it's gonna be said.)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

zmcgill
May 24, 2006, 01:37 PM

I know, it was lame.

It was said in the same spirit as "That's what she said..." jokes on The Office.
It was hilarious when Jim mouthed it as Michael said it.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
May 24, 2006, 01:43 PM

I know, it was lame.

Yeah, that's why I thought it was funny. No offense taken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules