Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Where to find up-to-date files

Where to find up-to-date files
sly
May 27, 2006, 09:04 AM

I am looking for the most up-to-date files for distributed computing on this site. When I look in the files area of the various projects, the latest update is 2003 and the files are old. Where can I find the latest files here? Yes, I am a noob.

reader50
Administrator
May 27, 2006, 12:44 PM

Yes, our old files pages need a complete rewrite. At the moment, the only current files we host are our BOINC optimized builds. Regular and Beta.

sly  (op)
Jun 6, 2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by reader50
Yes, our old files pages need a complete rewrite. At the moment, the only current files we host are our BOINC optimized builds. Regular and Beta.
I see that the files for OSX Core Duo are CLI. I downloaded them. Now what? I am coming from 10 years on a Starmax with upgrades to OS9. I have no experience on OSX and need hand-holding for the Terminal.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 10:00 PM

Billy:
Tell us what computer you have: make, model, amount of RAM, etc. Are you already running BOINC? If so, how: BOINC Manager, BOINC Menubar, or CLI? Which projects do you want to run: SETI, Einstein, or??? (there are a bunch of them) The list is at http://distributedcomputing.info/projects.html. The more info you give us, the easier it will be to help you.

beadman

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 10:03 PM

For SETI I would just download the standard 5.4.9 boinc app and then download Alexkan's optimized client and work from that.

The standard app gives you a GUI to set up everything that you want and allow you to see what it going on.

sly  (op)
Jun 6, 2006, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by beadman
Billy:
Tell us what computer you have: make, model, amount of RAM, etc. Are you already running BOINC? If so, how: BOINC Manager, BOINC Menubar, or CLI? Which projects do you want to run: SETI, Einstein, or??? (there are a bunch of them) The list is at http://distributedcomputing.info/projects.html. The more info you give us, the easier it will be to help you.

beadman
I have a shiny new Apple iMac Core Duo with 1 GB ram. I am running BOINC Manager 5.4.9 from UBC. I am running [email protected] Enhanced and Einstein, both with Core Duo clients. I see that there are 2 BOINC 5.4.9 Beta's here at Team MACNN (boinc_5.4.9ExtraCreditUniversal and boinc_5.4.9SuperbenchUniversal) I would like to try either or both of these as they are for Core Duo machines.

sly  (op)
Jun 6, 2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by arkayn
For SETI I would just download the standard 5.4.9 boinc app and then download Alexkan's optimized client and work from that.

The standard app gives you a GUI to set up everything that you want and allow you to see what it going on.
That client appears to be for PPC.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 11:02 PM

Yep, sorry about that. I think boog is the only person to try to make an enhanced worker for the intels.

Now on Einstein, they do have a newer build for it, I think. Check your worker number on there.

Once Einstein comes back up, check http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/app_test.php

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Billy
I have a shiny new Apple iMac Core Duo with 1 GB ram. I am running BOINC Manager 5.4.9 from UBC. I am running [email protected] Enhanced and Einstein, both with Core Duo clients. I see that there are 2 BOINC 5.4.9 Beta's here at Team MACNN (boinc_5.4.9ExtraCreditUniversal and boinc_5.4.9SuperbenchUniversal) I would like to try either or both of these as they are for Core Duo machines.
I have the superbench running on a core duo Mac Book Pro, and while it runs ok, it seems to give me less credit on quick work units than a lot of the PCs get... Try the ExtraCredit version and see if that helps. When I installed the SuperBench, I did the following:
1. Download the version you want and unzip it.
2. Quit Boinc completely
3. Go to Applications folder, and Control-Click once on the BOINC Manager. Select "Show Package Contents" from the pop up window.
4. Open the Contents folder, then the Resources folder.
5. Move the file named "boinc" to your desktop and replace it with the file you downloaded earlier.
6. Rename the new file to "boinc" without the quotes.
7. Close the finder windows and restart BOINC Manager. It should pick up right where the previous version left off when you made it quit.

I haven't heard of an optimized SETI client yet for the Core Duo, but the Einstein file arkyn mentioned runs quite a bit faster than the standard.

Hope this helps....
beadman

sly  (op)
Jun 7, 2006, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by arkayn
Yep, sorry about that. I think boog is the only person to try to make an enhanced worker for the intels.

Now on Einstein, they do have a newer build for it, I think. Check your worker number on there.

Once Einstein comes back up, check http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/app_test.php
I am using that beta client without problems. It is quite a bit faster. And there were good instructions on how to install it.

sly  (op)
Jun 12, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by beadman
I have the superbench running on a core duo Mac Book Pro, and while it runs ok, it seems to give me less credit on quick work units than a lot of the PCs get... Try the ExtraCredit version and see if that helps. When I installed the SuperBench, I did the following:
1. Download the version you want and unzip it.
2. Quit Boinc completely
3. Go to Applications folder, and Control-Click once on the BOINC Manager. Select "Show Package Contents" from the pop up window.
4. Open the Contents folder, then the Resources folder.
5. Move the file named "boinc" to your desktop and replace it with the file you downloaded earlier.
6. Rename the new file to "boinc" without the quotes.
7. Close the finder windows and restart BOINC Manager. It should pick up right where the previous version left off when you made it quit.

I haven't heard of an optimized SETI client yet for the Core Duo, but the Einstein file arkyn mentioned runs quite a bit faster than the standard.

Hope this helps....
beadman
I tried both Superbench and ExtraCredit, but I didn't see any difference. I also got some client errors and in one case a WU was nearly complete, so I switched back to the original version of boinc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules