Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > U.S. gov't billing citizens for evacuation from Beirut

U.S. gov't billing citizens for evacuation from Beirut
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 12:20 AM

"In statements e-mailed to Americans in Lebanon and posted on the embassy's Web site, the State Department has stressed "that the U.S. government does not provide no-cost transportation but does have the authority to provide repatriation loans to those in financial need. For the portion of your trip directly handled by the U.S. Government we will ask you to sign a promissory note and we will bill you at a later date."

The department added that "we will also work with commercial aircraft to ensure that they have adequate flights to help you depart Cyprus and connect to your final destination."

NBC News reported that it is standard procedure for the State Department to charge citizens fees for evacuations."

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13903377/

Guess they must be tight on funds.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
"In statements e-mailed to Americans in Lebanon and posted on the embassy's Web site, the State Department has stressed "that the U.S. government does not provide no-cost transportation but does have the authority to provide repatriation loans to those in financial need. For the portion of your trip directly handled by the U.S. Government we will ask you to sign a promissory note and we will bill you at a later date."

The department added that "we will also work with commercial aircraft to ensure that they have adequate flights to help you depart Cyprus and connect to your final destination."

NBC News reported that it is standard procedure for the State Department to charge citizens fees for evacuations."

$300 to get out of a war zone? doesn't seem excessive to me at all.

though, that is an amount that could easily be swallowed by the gov't considering the small amount of US citizens that need to be evacuated. it would cost a lot more than $300 to get an ambulance ride or be rescued from the wilderness by helicopter in the states.

if the US didn't pay for them to get there, they shouldn't really pay for them to get out of there.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

idjeff
Senior User
Jul 18, 2006, 12:57 AM

OMFG!!!

You gotta tame the beast before you let it out of its cage.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 18, 2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by black bear theory
if the US didn't pay for them to get there, they shouldn't really pay for them to get out of there.
Yeah... um SWG just saw an article that he figured was anti-American and knee-jerked and posted it.

He has a habit of doing this without actually knowing what is going on.

And then post and run.

Typical.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 06:42 AM

My mom was evacuated out of Pakistan after sept 11. She was one of the last Canadians to leave the country and had very short notice. Since her employer was the Canadian gov though, evacuation was included in the contract. Even though nothing really happened in Pakistan , she had no choice but to evacuate, it was ordered by the Canadian gov! When the **** hits the fan, its nice to know your home country is there to help any way they can.

Evacuation insurance is definitely a perk though, as not all companies or NGOs include it.
( Last edited by Nicko; Jul 18, 2006 at 07:04 AM. )

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 08:19 AM

It does seem incredibly lame.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 09:01 AM

$300 to get out of a war zone? doesn't seem excessive to me at all.
Sorta pathetic they charge anything at all then isn't it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 18, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
It does seem incredibly lame.
If the US gov sent them there then yes. If they went on their own free will, no.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 18, 2006, 09:04 AM

Sorta pathetic they charge anything at all then isn't it.
Did they send them there Dark? It would cost them TONS more to do it themselves.

Why should we pay for their ride home when they freely went there themselves KNOWING it was a bad area?

This isn't the "gov" paying for it. This is taxpayers paying.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2006, 09:07 AM

Bingo!
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
If the US gov sent them there then yes. If they went on their own free will, no.
Nah.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 18, 2006, 09:10 AM

Oh, that's it. You've convinced me. Your arguement was that sound. :/

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 09:15 AM

Sounds all quite normal to me.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 18, 2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
Sounds all quite normal to me.
For the US yes.

"Hello, what have we here?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
For the US yes.
BURN

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Jul 18, 2006, 11:45 AM

If the government didn't send them there, why should it be by my dollar to get them out? If it weren't for the recent issue in that region, they'd eventually leave on their own, with their own money. I wouldn't be paying for that.

If you want to live in a place where the government pays for everything and wipes your butt for you, go live in Europe (edit: not all European countries are like that, but France has some interesting stuff along those lines). The US has some different political ideals than other countries -- that doesn't mean that it's wrong. Get over it.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 18, 2006, 11:56 AM

For the US yes.
Do you realize how stupid you sound when you make moronic comments like this?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2006, 12:03 PM

Isn't $300 probably less than what they paid to GET there?

I understand that they're going back on a cruise ship?

What an adventure!

Sign me up!

Seriously, it's a good deal.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 19, 2006, 03:43 PM

"U.S. Navy SEALs pulled alongside the ferry to deliver boxes of chicken sandwiches, she said.

"It was for American citizens only and that actually made a big stink on the boat, because people who weren't American citizens were trying to get the food," Marinaccio said. "Other people were screaming, 'It's for Americans only, show your passport.' "

She added, "I understand this was the government's food, but in the case of an emergency, everybody needs to eat, whether you're an American or not."

"Hello, what have we here?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Yah.
Fixed.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 03:57 PM

$300 is pretty cheap transportation considering it's a war zone. That's much less than those people probably paid to get there in the first place. Anyway, I could see it either way... it doesn't seem out of line for people to pay their way.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2006, 03:58 PM

"U.S. Navy SEALs pulled alongside the ferry to deliver boxes of chicken sandwiches, she said.

"It was for American citizens only and that actually made a big stink on the boat, because people who weren't American citizens were trying to get the food," Marinaccio said. "Other people were screaming, 'It's for Americans only, show your passport.' "

She added, "I understand this was the government's food, but in the case of an emergency, everybody needs to eat, whether you're an American or not."
And what if they only brought enough for the US citizens? Don't give anyone the food, or do they hold a lottery?

Edit:

and BTW, seek help. Damn.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Lame.
Klever.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 04:09 PM

I'm OK with this.

While White House spokesman Tony Snow said a 2003 law requires the reimbursement for rescues and assistant secretary of state Maura Harty said no one would be denied boarding "because they left their checkbook or credit card behind," the policy met with widespread criticism in the United States and elsewhere.
1) This is a set rule...
2) Nobody would be denied boarding

Also, the US has started waving this fee.

I could see this being VERY annoying and expensive for our government. A few hundred bucks for gas isn't much to ask.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 04:12 PM

I still have the original bill from the USS Marine Tiger that my grandparents took to get from Europe to the US after the holocaust. Guess who paid for it? My grandparents. With the help of some Jewish organizations (not your tax dollars) they paid the $172 to get here.

Damn straight they can pay the $300 to get back.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 04:13 PM

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
I still have the original bill from the USS Marine Tiger that my grandparents took to get from Europe to the US after the holocaust. Guess who paid for it? My grandparents. With the help of some Jewish organizations (not your tax dollars) they paid the $172 to get here.

Damn straight they can pay the $300 to get back.
Just because you pay something... doesn't mean you are paying the real cost. $300 for a helicopter ride to a cruise liner.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 04:30 PM

reagan didn't charge any americans to get them out of beirut.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 19, 2006, 04:36 PM

So where was Canada at handing out their food?

I can't believe you even think this is newsworthy. You can be such a a-typical nellie sometimes.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Just because you pay something... doesn't mean you are paying the real cost. $300 for a helicopter ride to a cruise liner.
I'm not making any claim about actual cost. I was just giving an anecdote for historical reference where people paid something to get out of an area.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
And what if they only brought enough for the US citizens? Don't give anyone the food, or do they hold a lottery?
But don't you see how it always works? Bitch and whine and make hay that the US govt. doesn't pay for everything for Americans, but the minute they do- even some tiny gesture like just providing some damn sandwiches- every other foreigner has their hand out demanding to be provided for too. "Wait, where's your nation's navy bringing you food?" should have been the question asked.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 10:26 PM

Hey these idiots have been told a millions times to stay out of the middleeast. The State Department warned everyone going to Lebenon that they may be putting their life in danger. These idiots live there. It's not like they are on vacation. They just happen to have US Citizenship. As far as I'm concerned, they should be paying a lot more than $300. They should be paying $10,000 each.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 10:46 PM

I see Canadians who want to leave are still stuck there.

Hours of tears and frustration
Only 261 Canadians able to leave
Hundreds stranded at Beirut port
Jul. 20, 2006. 10:10 AM
SANDRO CONTENTA AND ANDREW MILLS
TORONTO STAR

BEIRUT—Ottawa says it will take up to two weeks to rescue Canadians trapped in Lebanon after 2,000 citizens had their evacuation hopes dashed by a chaotic and gruelling attempt that left them stranded overnight at Beirut's port.
They cling to the hope that ships will arrive today to rescue them from an escalating conflict, but the dreadful experience of the past 24 hours has few of them believing it.
Canada had hoped to evacuate 4,500 citizens a day, and then scaled that down to 2,000. Foreign Affairs officials had initially hoped to complete the rescue in three days.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...d=968332188492

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 21, 2006, 06:37 AM

I doubt you'll see SWG posting a thread about that Buckaroo.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 10:17 AM

I think parents are fools for bringing their young children over there despite numerous State Dept. warnings.

Regardless, these evacuees/refugees sure look like they're outraged and broken down:

Refugees/Evacuees with working mobile phones... that's a nice touch.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 10:35 AM

Serisouly, why would anyone want to be in Lebanon? I am glad they aren't getting a free ride home.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheMosco
Serisouly, why would anyone want to be in Lebanon? I am glad they aren't getting a free ride home.
Because they heard there was a $300 luxury cruise to take them home. Plus they could laugh at the Canadians whose government deserted them.

James L
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Plus they could laugh at the Canadians whose government deserted them.
Huh?

As of Thursday, July 20th at 1900 Eastern time, the Canadian government had extricated 1636 people.

http://www.international.gc.ca/cip-p...dleeast-en.asp

James L
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 12:30 PM

Some interesting facts here:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2006/69225.htm

- 3,800 US evacuees so far, as of July 21st.

- The US is using Canadian ships to evacuate their people. Ironic.

But, the most relevant to this thread is this quote here:

In this extraordinary case, Secretary Rice has directed the State Department to waive the requirement for American citizens departing Lebanon to reimburse the State Department for travel costs.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by James L
Huh?

As of Thursday, July 20th at 1900 Eastern time, the Canadian government had extricated 1636 people.

http://www.international.gc.ca/cip-p...dleeast-en.asp
Sorry, it was a bit tongue in cheek and loosely based off of buckaroo's link. I mean no ill will toward Canada and I hope they all make it out of there safely.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 12:40 PM

Please keep in mind these people were there of their own free will AGAINST STATE DEPARTMENT WARNINGS.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Please keep in mind these people were there of their own free will AGAINST STATE DEPARTMENT WARNINGS.
Eh, what are you supposed to do when you're there visiting family? It's not like anyone expected a war to break out. Seriously, people.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
Eh, what are you supposed to do when you're there visiting family? It's not like anyone expected a war to break out. Seriously, people.
Actually, the State Department warning means that they do expect there could be a war or violence.

[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Actually, the State Department warning means that they do expect there could be a war or violence.

Actually

Travel Warnings are issued when the State Department decides, based on all relevant information, to recommend that Americans avoid travel to a certain country.
And I'm fairly certain travelers to the ME are aware that some danger always exists when they travel there, but not necessarily of the proportions we're seeing currently.

What's your point anyway? That your fellow Americans shouldn't be evacuated from war zones?

James L
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Sorry, it was a bit tongue in cheek and loosely based off of buckaroo's link. I mean no ill will toward Canada and I hope they all make it out of there safely.
Classy.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 01:21 PM

Some interesting facts here:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2006/69225.htm

- 3,800 US evacuees so far, as of July 21st.

- The US is using Canadian ships to evacuate their people. Ironic.
There's nothing ironic about that. Many Canadians were taken aboard US ships, and most of the ships on that list are US, or were chartered by the US. What is with Canadians being so insecure lately? No one is really over there fighting some petty US vs. Canada war, they're just trying to get people out. There are delays on all sides; many Canadians of over 30,000 registered at the embassy have had to wait (and continue to wait) for rescue just as people of other nations have. The point is, no one started some petty thread making hay over the Canadian govt's rescue efforts or failures thereof.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2006, 01:28 PM

Yeah, the US vs. Canada war is in these forums...

James L
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
There's nothing ironic about that. Many Canadians were taken aboard US ships, and most of the ships on that list are US, or were chartered by the US. What is with Canadians being so insecure lately? No one is really over there fighting some petty US vs. Canada war, they're just trying to get people out. There are delays on all sides; many Canadians of over 30,000 registered at the embassy have had to wait (and continue to wait) for rescue just as people of other nations have. The point is, no one started some petty thread making hay over the Canadian govt's rescue efforts or failures thereof.
Sensitive much?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 01:34 PM

Sensitive much?
Insecure much? Why is that?

James L
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Insecure much? Why is that?
Nope, not at all. Confident, bordering on arrogant, but certainly not insecure.

Well, that's my wife's opinion anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules