Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Beige G3 Panther, Black Screen

Beige G3 Panther, Black Screen
kick52
Baninated
Jul 30, 2006, 04:21 AM

Hello.

I got Panther 10.3 onto my Beige G3 (sig -> other computers) with 96mb RAM and built-in video using XPostFacto 3.1. At random times, usually when i click on something, change application, open applications, or HD activity the screen will turn off like there is no signal, even though the PM will still be going, with HD activity.

Googling it, I have found out it is to do with OS X and XPostFactos driver support. (Hence this is in Mac OS X forum)

Some of the drivers corrupt memory. and it crashes.

I did both of the solutions on here:

http://www.applefritter.com/node/6968

but it didnt work, nor do i get those errors in dmesg.

What I'm now going to try to do is download the darwin IONDRVSupport.kext (apparently that works.)

kick52

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2006, 12:43 AM

Are you sure running OS X on a machine that old is worth it? Your memory is way way way way below minimum requirements to the point that running with that low of memory may cause issues.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules