Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How important is the "Extra features" on DVD's to you?

View Poll Results: How important is the "Extra features" on DVD's to you?
Poll Options:
Very. No Extra's no sale 7 votes (10.29%)
Somewhat. Wouldn't skip buying it but might help with a sale 27 votes (39.71%)
Not at all. Better video and audio quality is much more important (like superbit) 34 votes (50.00%)
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll
How important is the "Extra features" on DVD's to you?
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:48 PM

Personally I almost NEVER watch them unless it is some behind the features special and longer than 5 min.

I don't think I have ever listened to the directors commentary nor had a urge to watch trailers, cast interviews etc as you see those on TV anyway.

Out of the 400ish DVD's I own I would take amazing picture and sound over any extra.

How about you?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 06:52 PM

**** extra features on DVDs. They are bloody useless. Whenever I hear a commercial touting "this DVD comes with two hours of extra bonus features", it makes me want to buy the DVD even less.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 06:54 PM

400 DVD's?? Damn!

I don't watch the extra stuff either. I think the only one I've ever watched was Donny Darko just to see extra scenes and stuff.

Which is why I wouldn't mind being able to download movies, as long as the video quality was the same as "real" DVD's. Apple's current offerings are too low rez. As soon as there is a service that offers DVD-like quality downloads, I'm done buying physical DVD's.

I feel the same about music CD's too. I don't mind the AAC quality, so I have gotten all my music from iTunes for a couple years now (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions).

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
400 DVD's?? Damn!

Well before anyone thinks I am nuts only about 180 or so are in retail packaging if you catch my drift

But ya... when I "backup" my DVD's I usually remove the extra so the best quality audio and video fit on a single layer disk. The other advantage to that is the disk just plays when you stick it in and no damn previews, warnings or overdone menus.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 07:13 PM

I enjoy the extras quite a bit.

While I would never avoid a movie purchase solely on the absence of extras, but as long as they don't make the movie unreasonably expensive, then I always go for the extras.

I listen to commentaries and watch the making of specials, and the trailers, etc.

Different strokes for different folks.

I do wish that region 1 DVDs would have more language subtitles available than the usual French/Spanish/English, though.

I would take a DVD with greek subtitles and no extras over a DVD without and plenty of extras if the video were NTSC and it was a region 1 disc.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 07:24 PM

commentaries are usually the only useful extras included.

-r.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2006, 07:33 PM

About as important to me as not using apostrophes for plural words.

In other words, I love the extras. I love seeing the behind the scenes, production, development, cast and crew commentaries. I love it all. I also don't mind getting 2-DVD sets, one DVD that has good video/audio, the other DVD with all the extras.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2006, 07:38 PM

I like the extras, especially with older movies on DVD. I just got "Forbidden Planet" for Christmas-it's the 50th anniversary edition, and it's chock full of interesting stuff about how the movie was made, with interviews with surviving cast members (Anne Francis is still gorgeous).

I won't necessarily skip the purchase without extras, but I won't pay top dollar ($20 or so) for a movie that doesn't have them. Note that I haven't seen anywhere near all the extra stuff on all my movies, but it's there if I am interested.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2006, 07:41 PM

I usually only watch the extras for animated films or films that are a little bit more complex like "Memento".

For movies like "Patriot Games" or "Deuce Bigelow: ..." it's a huge waste.

But the "40 Year Old Virgin" extras were as good as the actual movie.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2006, 07:58 PM

I listen to all the commentaries on The Simpsons/Futurama DVDs. They were funnier than the episodes at times
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Well before anyone thinks I am nuts only about 180 or so are in retail packaging if you catch my drift
Then I guess you don't "own" them

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 4, 2006, 08:47 PM

In other words, you aren't buying them.

I'm more selective in the ones I buy, cuz I generally won't buy them unless they have extras, especially commentaries if they're good. I will buy some hard-to-get movies without extras though. Or if the movies are like $8 maybe I'll buy them without extras, instead of paying $5 to rent them.

P.S. The commentary on for The Thing HD DVD was very good. The commentary for the MI:3 HD DVD was cool in that it was picture-in-picture, and it did interesting things such as stopped the movie to play a video to explain a certain point before returning to the movie, but the actual content wasn't so good. The director and Tom Cruise were fawning all over each other so much it was sickening.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I just got "Forbidden Planet" for Christmas-it's the 50th anniversary edition
I'm jealous.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2006, 11:30 PM

I love voice-over commentaries, especially if there are separate ones for production, the actors, and director. (The fact that there's no actor commentary on Star Wars DVDs is really tragic.)

I love out-takes. The out-takes on Girl, Interrupted really answered the lingering questions I had, for instance. Garden State has some really good cut-scene, too.

Something I'd like to see more of: music-only "commentaries." Amadeus was fun to watch without dialog or other audio.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker View Post
In other words, you aren't buying them.
"180 or so are in retail packaging"

Did they fall out of the sky into my DVD shelf?

How many you "Buy"?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 12:39 AM

I like the commentaries on good classic films if they're done by film experts. I haven't found the directors commentaries very interesting, and don't even get me started on actor's commentaries. But I've watched a number of films that I've understood much better after viewing the commentary of a film expert.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
I like the commentaries on good classic films if they're done by film experts. I haven't found the directors commentaries very interesting, and don't even get me started on actor's commentaries. But I've watched a number of films that I've understood much better after viewing the commentary of a film expert.
Me too. A recent one being Ikiru. It gave me a better understanding of Japanese culture after World War 2.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 01:41 AM

If I respect the people who made the movie or TV show, I like to watch it with commentary. I definitely like deleted scenes — a lot of cool scenes get cut out for timing reasons. Done right, I think extras are definitely enjoyable, but they're not something I demand.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 05:48 AM

My wife and I both enjoy the extras quite a bit. If there are no extras we feel cheated... so to us it is no extras, no sale.

badidea
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
But the "40 Year Old Virgin" extras were as good as the actual movie.
seconded!

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2006, 06:32 AM

I think there should be more emphasis on improving picture quality and sound quality and less on extras... or if you really want extras to include them on a seperate disc... with HDTVs and upconverting dvd players becoming popular the increased picture quality would be appreciated...

not that I have ever watched a upconverted dvd on an hdtv... soon I hope to!

Zach

andi*pandi
Dec 5, 2006, 08:58 AM

I like the extras if they are good. If it's just trailers and "making of documentaries" that are really just promo material fluff, boring. Deleted scenes, real making of documentaries, comparisons with previous versions, books, comics, special effects, interviews with cast and crew, blooper reels--all can be great.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I like the extras if they are good. If it's just trailers and "making of documentaries" that are really just promo material fluff, boring. Deleted scenes, real making of documentaries, comparisons with previous versions, books, comics, special effects, interviews with cast and crew, blooper reels--all can be great.
Sure those things CAN be interesting the question is would you still buy the movie without them or would you choose extra's over better audio/video quality?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 12:43 PM

I never ever watch the extras on my DVDs. The only extras I ever saw out of my 200+ DVDs are the Star Wars Trilogy extras. That's it.

I'd really like all movies to be available in a with-extras-edition and a great-quality-edition for those who only care about image/sound quality like me.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
I never ever watch the extras on my DVDs. The only extras I ever saw out of my 200+ DVDs are the Star Wars Trilogy extras. That's it.
I think I am the same. Out of the 400ish DVD's that I have watched perhaps 10-20 I watched some of the extras good or bad.

Only on ONE did I watch the directors commentary and it was pretty boring.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 01:34 PM

Very, very rarely will we even take notice of the extras. When we do, it's normally for a "Making of" documentary for something we're really interested in learning more about (like Team America, with all the puppets) or something we've already dived into 100% fandom for anyway, so we enjoy anything associated with it (Firefly/Serenity falls into this category).

But if extras went away tomorrow, we wouldn't care. We value them at close to 0.

One exception, though, and it really doesn't count as an extra: we watch a lot of movies and TV series on DVD via netflix, after the toddler has gone to sleep. We like to turn the sound down so as not to wake the little one up, and so we like to turn on the subtitles/closed captioning/whatever they're called. Some DVD's don't have them. It amazes me that it's not standard issue on all movie and TV series DVD's, and yet it seems the audio commentary from the Key Grip is!

andi*pandi
Dec 5, 2006, 01:43 PM

Sure those things CAN be interesting the question is would you still buy the movie without them or would you choose extra's over better audio/video quality?
If I'm shopping and see a movie I like, wouldn't mind owning, but haven't seen in a while, price is a factor more than extras, nice box, etc. <$15. If it's a movie or series I really like, there has to be extras to make me put down money. I'm not likely to get HD anytime soon so that isn't a feature for me yet.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 02:49 PM

I do think deleted scenes are a necessity.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2006, 02:53 PM

Personally, I don't have a 60-foot plasma TV with a full theatrical sound system. Most DVDs are good enough for me as is. Maybe once I make my fortune, I'll care more about that stuff.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 04:00 PM

I rarely do the commentaries. But I do enjoy the deleted scenes and alternate endings.

OAW

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2006, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
I listen to all the commentaries on The Simpsons/Futurama DVDs. They were funnier than the episodes at times
Agreed. The commentaries are great and that is why I buy the DVDs (no apostrophe) and download the episodes.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Dark Helmet  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I do think deleted scenes are a necessity.
Every time I watch them though my first reaction is "I can see why they cut that".

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2006, 04:26 PM

98% of time I agree with you.

Extended scenes are sometime useful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules