Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How good are you at Rock, Paper, Scissors?

How good are you at Rock, Paper, Scissors?
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 03:09 PM

USARPS League >�Article

I'm not sure which is more nuts - the tournament existing or the fact that they have "expert analysis". Oh, wait, the nuttiest part is them talking about the players having fatigue. How hard is it to move your hand? The winner "threw" 34 times. I bet you move your hand back and forth more than that while having some "alone time". Maybe I could make a business out of selling these guys on training regimens.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 03:12 PM

I actually saw it was on ESPN2 this weekend.

I'm not bad actually. I usually beat anyone I know.

wallinbl  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 03:31 PM

I assume the implication here is that people are somewhat predictable? An opponent that was completely random would have to play to a draw statistically. I don't see what's so difficult about being random enough to play to a draw. If it's truly random, then what's the point?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2007, 03:36 PM

I can make a prediction based on my friend's personalities and usually the worst I'll take is a draw. This only works consistently for as long as they don't realize that I'm reading them. Though it does get mighty interesting when it becomes a game of "I know that you know that I know..."

And of course, the first throw is always unpredictable.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2007, 11:57 PM

Wrong. Statistically the least likely first throw is paper. It's a mental thing and a physical thing. For one it's marginally more physically challenging, for the other there's the mental connotation to "paper" being the weakest of the three.

Thus the most strategically sound move to throw at inexperienced players is rock. In some cases you can also throw a "fake rock" if you think you can get away with it. It's easy to change the rock to a paper mid-throw if you see your opponent throwing paper.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 08:46 AM

tell your opponent that you are going to throw rock every time. it messes with your mind and your opponent usually reads it as reverse psychology and they throw scissors or something. it really works well and is absolutely hilarious when you tell them you are going to throw rock beforehand and they still lose. I've had numerous personal experiences with this technique working.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2007, 09:13 AM

Yes, that's also a good one, but I've had it backfire a couple of times.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules