Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac "350" vs iMac Rev B and Music CDs

iMac "350" vs iMac Rev B and Music CDs
Jeffrey P. Kempster
Sep 22, 2001, 10:18 PM

Hi,

I had an iMac rev b with 256 Mb of Ram and used the machine all the time to play cds and import MP3. I have used both OS9 and OSX. I recently acquired an iMac "350". I thought this would be great because my import speed should impove. It didn't!

In OSX on iMac B I get 1.2x import speed. In OSX on iMac "350" I get 0.3x import speed. I also can not play CDs in the "350" without skipping. The Rev B iMac played them fine.

What gives???
iBook 800Mhz/640MB/40GB/Combo/Airport/10.2.3/9.2.2

iMac 500/256MB ram/30GB HD/CD-RW/10.2.3/9.2.2

1008 Legal MP3s :D

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 23, 2001, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Jeffrey P. Kempster:
<STRONG>Hi,

I had an iMac rev b with 256 Mb of Ram and used the machine all the time to play cds and import MP3. I have used both OS9 and OSX. I recently acquired an iMac "350". I thought this would be great because my import speed should impove. It didn't!

In OSX on iMac B I get 1.2x import speed. In OSX on iMac "350" I get 0.3x import speed. I also can not play CDs in the "350" without skipping. The Rev B iMac played them fine.

What gives??? </STRONG>

How similar are the two machines in their setup?
Same amount of RAM? Same options in iTunes (or whatever program you're using to 'import' (also called 'ripping')) ?
Have you tried, using the same CD, and is the CD scratched?

This deserves some greater thought.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Jeffrey P. Kempster  (op)
Sep 23, 2001, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>

How similar are the two machines in their setup?
Same amount of RAM? Same options in iTunes (or whatever program you're using to 'import' (also called 'ripping')) ?
Have you tried, using the same CD, and is the CD scratched?

This deserves some greater thought.

Victor Marks
[email protected]</STRONG>
The iMac rev B had 256Mb and the iMac 350 has 320. In my test both machines had OSX 10.0.4 and itunes 1.1.1 both were setup to do 160K for import quality. I used two test CDs in both machines. One was a CD I had burned and one was a store bought CD.
iBook 800Mhz/640MB/40GB/Combo/Airport/10.2.3/9.2.2

iMac 500/256MB ram/30GB HD/CD-RW/10.2.3/9.2.2

1008 Legal MP3s :D

xyber233
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2001, 11:39 AM

Thats probably because you are in OS X 10.0.4. Wait for 10.1. If you really want to see how fast they rip, boot into OS 9 and use classic iTunes. Speeds will dramatically increase.

Forum Links
Forum Rules