Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Should I buy an airport extreme base station?

Should I buy an airport extreme base station?
Andhee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 02:38 PM

Hey, I've been having consistent trouble with wireless signal dropping with my macbook (mid 2007) on my netgear router and I was thinking about buying an airport extreme base station to replace it and just wondered on your verdict.

p.s thinking about buying it tonight, so please reply (I live in the UK)

Thanks

Andy

Andhee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 05:06 PM

Just bought one for all those who are bothered!

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2008, 06:53 AM

Saw the thread too late!

Was going to suggest waiting till Apple cleared up the network backup issue before buying one - Time Machine doesn't work with the AirPort Extreme Base Station as yet, and network storage sharing seems flaky.

That said, I'm sure you'll enjoy the base station. It's definitely not the cheapest available, but it's easy to setup and works reliably. The printer sharing and extra gigabit ethernet ports are big pluses too!

And as for the network sharing and backup, I'm quite confident Apple will release a firmware update that will fix these things - it'll only be decent that they do so.

Arstechnica.com did a comparative review of the 802.11n base stations a while back, and I think one of the tips is to use the 5GHz channel if you can. That will boost the speeds cos it's less congested with other base stations, cordless phones etc. But that's not good if you have legacy 802.11g or b machines on the same network

Forum Links
Forum Rules