Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bit The Bullet: I'm Getting LASIK

Bit The Bullet: I'm Getting LASIK
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 04:05 PM

Well, my wife and I went to our consultation appointments today, and we're both candidates for corrective surgery. She can't see for crap, so she needs the inner contact lens thing, and she doesn't want to go through the trouble. I OTOH, are good to go with good ol' LASIK, even though I'm farsighted. I may need reading glasses in 10 years or so, but that's no biggie.

I go in February 20th for pre-op (getting final numbers, readings, etc.), Friday the 22nd for the surgery, and a post-op checkup on Saturday.

So, I'll either have really good vision — or I'll be blind — in less than a month.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 04:20 PM

LASIK is now safer than contact lenses - you'll love it.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2008, 04:23 PM

You won't regret it. That is, unless you go blind. That would suck.

I a still 20/20 nearly 5 years after my LASIK surgery. I know you probably aren't, but do NOT skimp on your eye surgeon. You aren't buying a car.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 04:24 PM

I'm using the guy that did my brother's and his wife's eyes. He's also been in the Houston area for years (Dr. Whitsett).
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2008, 04:25 PM

Sweet, let us know how it goes. I can't wait to get LASIK myself, but probably won't happen for another year or two...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 04:29 PM

I can't get LASIK, either, I can only get the corrective lens surgery because I have horrible astigmatism. The problem with the corrective lens is that it's a crap load more money than LASIK because it's real surgery and not covered by most insurance policies.

The advantage to the corrective lens (even if you're a candidate for LASIK) is that you can see fine only minutes after the procedure, and, it can be reversed if there are complications.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2008, 04:48 PM

I had lasik on one of my eyes about 6 years ago and it was great. But about 4 months ago I had to go back to glasses. It slowly reverted back to my old vision.

I haven't read about other people having this problem, so I may very well be the only one...

How special.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 05:04 PM

Lasik fixes your eyes - it does not prevent further deterioration - my suspicion is that this is what is happening - go see an optician though.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2008, 05:06 PM

Excellent point - that's probably what's happening. Getting old is stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 05:09 PM

My wife is having to have corrective surgery to repair a problem with her Lasik surgury. Ironically, her surgery date is around the same time as RAILhead's.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2008, 06:10 PM

That's not ironic.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 06:29 PM

I think you mean coincidentally.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2008, 06:31 PM

"Coincidentally" would've been a better choice.
( Last edited by lavar78; Jan 29, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Just to note that I was too slow.)

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2008, 06:36 PM

Improbabilistically?

mindwaves
Jan 29, 2008, 06:40 PM

I want lasik sometime down the road; however, I am concerned about when they put that laser thing near your eye because I have the tendency to blink or close my eye whenever something near approaches it. Hence why I can never have contacts (believe me, I've tried) and they are impossible to get in. Do they put you to sleep and then have some sort of system to keep your eyes open during the surgery? I'm afraid of blinking during the surgery...I cannot help myself.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2008, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Hence why I can never have contacts (believe me, I've tried) and they are impossible to get in.
How'd you try? Did you just keep trying to jam it in there?

mindwaves
Jan 29, 2008, 07:23 PM

I have the tendency to blink when trying to get contacts in hence (i.e. when something approaches my eye) which is why I can never get contacts. My optometrist even tried to no avail. I cannot control myself.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2008, 07:24 PM

mindwaves:

They gave me a pill to make me drowsy (or keep me from being freaked out), then put that metal thing like in Clockwork Orange to keep my eye open. Oh, and eye drops that numbed the eye.

Sounds creepy, but you look straight into a light that effectively blocks your vision from anything else.

At least that's how they did it 6 years ago...

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 07:44 PM

Yeah, they hold your eye open after giving you a valium. The machine also stops itself if there's any movement, etc.

hart
Senior User
Jan 29, 2008, 07:51 PM

WAY to creepy for me! As long as there's some chance of problems or having to get a redo I'm happy with my glasses. Maybe it's that my vision isn't that bad so I only wear them for driving or kayaking or movies but putting on glasses seems so simple and buyer's remorse is as simple as a repeat trip to Lens Crafters.

Not that I want to discourage you. I just can't get over the creepy factor myself.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2008, 08:45 PM

I know waaaay too many people that have had it, so it doesn't bother me too much -- but I understand what you're saying.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 09:33 PM

Alternatively, get the darkest glasses you can get away with. When someone asks "Who do you think you are, a rock star?" you say "Yes, I am actually. Give me your money, beer and women. Immediately, peasant.".

Right then. Getting down on my knees to pray that you're not gonna go blind RAIL. It'd be unfortunate if you couldn't see to do a bit of a "wiring things inside small but pretty boxes" job for someone when they have their PayPal sorted in a few weeks.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I have the tendency to blink when trying to get contacts in hence (i.e. when something approaches my eye) which is why I can never get contacts. My optometrist even tried to no avail. I cannot control myself.
With all due respect, I think you've just convinced yourself that you can't do it. You should be able to train yourself not to blink, but it's probably not worth the effort if you're having that much trouble with it.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008, 09:49 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming lasik, RAIL. I had it done in 2003, and it was the best $3000 I've ever spent. I'm a firefighter, so having glasses pretty much sucked @$$. It was difficult to get up for a call in the middle of the night and try to throw contacts in.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
LASIK is now safer than contact lenses - you'll love it.
Not even in the ballpark.

While its great that the OP is opting for that, there are risks with any procedure and personally having a surgeon use a laser to slice into my cornea is not safer then contact lenses.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2008, 03:45 PM

Well, tomorrow is the day. I'm chronicling the process on my blog if anyone's interested. After the pre-op tests, I'll now be having LASIK in my right eye and ASA in my left — but details are available on my blog:

Another Dadgum Stinking Blog

Wish me look and feel free to send positive vibes and prayers/thoughts my way!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2008, 05:53 PM

Prayers your way dude.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2008, 07:51 PM

Go check out his Terminator goggles on Flickr. They're niiiiice.

I'll be begging God to spare your corneas tomorrow. Perhaps He'll withhold His anger.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2008, 02:14 PM

Well, I can see still.

Just got back from my post-op, and the Doc says all is well. I'll be documenting yesterday's procedure on blog sometime today, so stay tuned for My LASIK Experience Part Two...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Well, I can see still.
Sweet.

Just got back from my post-op, and the Doc says all is well. I'll be documenting yesterday's procedure on blog sometime today, so stay tuned for My LASIK Experience Part Two...
Dude, give yourself some time before you start staring at a computer screen again.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2008, 04:58 PM

I guess God spared you.

You slipped through the cracks...this time.

Nahhhh, congratulations! Hopefully you'll be talking to us about the miracle of LASIK and posting a video of you smashing your frames with a mallet.

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2008, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Dude, give yourself some time before you start staring at a computer screen again.
I watched a hockey game on TV the evening after my Lasik procedure. It was not the best idea, but I was amazed at how well I could see. Kinda of a novelty compared to my eyeglasses with a -8.5 correction.
climber

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
personally having a surgeon use a laser to slice into my cornea is not safer then contact lenses.
That isn't a "personal" issue. It's a statement ostensibly based on data collected over trials of thousands of procedures. It could be a false statement (if you think so, cite some evidence). But your personal fears have nothing to do with it, and there is a good chance you're stupidly choosing to avoid a safe and very beneficial procedure (assuming you have a need for vision correction).

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
That isn't a "personal" issue. It's a statement ostensibly based on data collected over trials of thousands of procedures. It could be a false statement (if you think so, cite some evidence). But your personal fears have nothing to do with it, and there is a good chance you're stupidly choosing to avoid a safe and very beneficial procedure (assuming you have a need for vision correction).
There's no stupidity in deciding not to do this when the surgeons cannot guarantee 100% that there will not be any complications or problems. Fear has nothing to do with it, aside from fear of losing my sight. Just do a google and you can get the evidence.

Does it work for the majority of people sure, that doesn't mean I'm willing to take that risk. The reward vs. risk is not high enough for.

As for calling me stupid because I choose not risk my eyesight is really mature

I've read enough reports/stories and have seen, the risks. People who have lost their sight, others where the surgery was temporary, insofar they needed to wear glasses after a few years. Stupidity no, perhaps you should be less insulting and more mature about other people's views

Railroader
Banned
Feb 25, 2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
You're insulting someone for NOT getting costly elective surgery?!?! Really?

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2008, 09:12 AM

You guys will fight about anything. But, the fact of the matter is, there's only a fractionally small percentage of people that encounter any problems. For those that do, the impact is greater in that we're talking eyesight. BUT, the majority of those people that had problems didn't spend the "big bucks" to go to the top-of-the-line surgeon. I did. Even then, it was only $4000, and the guy I used is one of the top surgeons in Texas.

So, yes, there are risks -- even going to the dentist for a routine cleaning has risks. But for many of us, the benefits do outweigh the risks when you're well educated and using a researched doctor. Custom LASIK is, any way you slice it, a safe procedure -- if you're going to a state of the art facility.

So while I hear your points 'Nerd, they are based on misinformation and a lack of education regarding the process in its entirety.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2008, 10:21 AM

So, yes, there are risks -- even going to the dentist for a routine cleaning has risks. But for many of us, the benefits do outweigh the risks when you're well educated and using a researched doctor. Custom LASIK is, any way you slice it, a safe procedure -- if you're going to a state of the art facility.
but the risk of going to a dentist doesn't mean you'll need to get a seeing eye dog.

So while I hear your points 'Nerd, they are based on misinformation and a lack of education regarding the process in its entirety.
You're incorrect, I know people first hand who did not cheap out and get the bargain basement surgery and a couple of them had seem serious complications. One whom had to have multiple surgeries to get his eye sight back to pre-lasik. So while you may disagree with my assessment - that's fine, we all have different opinions, don't say its due to fear or lack of education because its not. I've looked into this for myself, and as noted above I've personally known people who had small/medium and severe issues with the surgery.

Edit:
Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean its an uneducated one as both you and wataru state

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You're insulting someone for NOT getting costly elective surgery?!?! Really?
No, I'm criticizing someone for making the decision based on nothing but his own personal fears rather than solid statistical evidence. Note that "this guy I know" and "some bloggers I found on Google" do not count as statistical evidence. And note that contacts are not 100% safe either; without proper cleaning and maintenance you can get all sorts of eye problems from contacts. Are you taking that into account when deciding which is safer than the other?

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Just because I have a differing opinion doesn't mean its an uneducated one as both you and wataru state
Fine, then don't say stupid things like implying the safety of the procedure has anything to do with your personal feelings.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 12:03 PM

Glad it went well! You had nothing to worry about, those LASIK machines all run Vista.

Forum Links
Forum Rules