Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Aluminum iMac normal temperatures

Aluminum iMac normal temperatures
frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 22, 2008, 08:12 PM

I drank the Kool-Aid and bought an open-box 2.66 GHz 20" aluminum iMac this past weekend from my local Apple Store; fortunately, selling my 13" MacBook financed over half of it WOW! What a difference! Big ol' screen, simple Al case...looks great on the desktop, and runs VERY nice!

Anyway, being slightly obsessive about operating parameters, I'd like to ask about normal operating temperatures. The MacBook only had a few temperature sensors; iStat Pro is reporting 12 temperature sensors, including an ambient air temperature sensor. Everything appears to be running nice and cool, with the highest temperature (excluding the power supply) sitting at 146F for the GPU diode (running WoW with all the goodies turned up to the max). The power supply is at 180F

Is this normal for a power supply?

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2008, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
I drank the Kool-Aid and bought an open-box 2.66 GHz 20" aluminum iMac this past weekend from my local Apple Store; fortunately, selling my 13" MacBook financed over half of it WOW! What a difference! Big ol' screen, simple Al case...looks great on the desktop, and runs VERY nice!

Anyway, being slightly obsessive about operating parameters, I'd like to ask about normal operating temperatures. The MacBook only had a few temperature sensors; iStat Pro is reporting 12 temperature sensors, including an ambient air temperature sensor. Everything appears to be running nice and cool, with the highest temperature (excluding the power supply) sitting at 146F for the GPU diode (running WoW with all the goodies turned up to the max). The power supply is at 180F

Is this normal for a power supply?
Awesome! Glad you're happy with the new machine. I'm not sure of exactly the normal operating temps of the power supply, but that sounds OK to me. Either way, life is too short to worry about it! Enjoy your new Mac, make cool stuff, be happy!

ImpulseResponse

charlespsu
Sep 25, 2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero View Post
Awesome! Glad you're happy with the new machine. I'm not sure of exactly the normal operating temps of the power supply, but that sounds OK to me. Either way, life is too short to worry about it! Enjoy your new Mac, make cool stuff, be happy!
+100. Enjoy the new mac

NickelLessNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2008, 12:42 PM

My iMac GPU diode runs at 138F during WoW; at Second Life it runs at 141F; power supply usually runs at 140F.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme; 4 Gb RAM
OS X (10.5.6); Grado SR 60 & RS1 headphones; HeadRoom headphone amp w/ Astrodyne power supply

Forum Links
Forum Rules