Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > how to sell year old macbook ?!

how to sell year old macbook ?!
malcolm347
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2008, 04:32 PM

so my macbook is about a year and a half old, and i have decided that i want to invest in a macbook pro....basically whats teh best way to get any money out of my macbook ? is ebay the best way ? i doubt apple has some trade in thing......

anyway, suggestions ??

shrugs*
Sep 30, 2008, 05:56 PM

Does your city have a craigslist or kijiji page?

You could always post in the MacNN Marketplace
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 03:16 AM

Online auctions (like eBay) seem to be a good place to sell a Mac. You'll be surprised to see how much you can get for a used Mac. One of the nice things about Macs is that they lose value less quickly than PCs.

That said, just make sure you get the money before you send your Mac. Also try to describe it as accurately as possible. There's nothing more annoying than having to take back something and refund money because the buyer didn't get what he was promised.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2008, 07:31 AM

Macbook's on ebay have been selling around 850 to 1400 where as I've been monitoring craiglist and they're being listed for about the same price. The advantage of craigslist is you get no fees. The advantage of ebay is you may get someone to over pay which seems more the rule then the exception lately. As always YMMV
~Mike

Kestral
Senior User
Oct 1, 2008, 01:51 PM

I had two MacBooks that I recently sold. I did this:

1. Price the MacBook at about $100-200 lower than the local going Craigslist rate (which is usually a ripoff for some reason, especially here in Toronto)

2. Take good pictures.

3. Write clear, detailed "ad copy", for example, I put in mine how many months of Applecare left (and how it can still be extended), I put in that my MacBooks had NO DEAL PIXELS. I still had the original boxes, I put in that the computers were "purchased brand new, they are NOT refurbs". Keep in mind I told the whole truth in my ad copy, so if it ain't true, don't put it on there!

I put them up on Craigslist and both ads got responses within literally 15 minutes and they both sold within 1 day of putting up the ads. As far as what I got for price, I ended up selling them for about how much it would have cost for similarly spec'ed refurbs from the Apple Online Store. Considering that I usually know how to get a decent deal on a new computer, I look at it as I rented the computers for ~6-12 months for a few hundred dollars, imo that's a good deal and how I prefer to go about computers. I'd rather "rent" them like this and just look at it as a cheap expense when averaged out over time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules