Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Formatting a SuperDisk

Formatting a SuperDisk
wcaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2000, 02:00 PM

I have a SuperDisk which has been--Agh--DOS formatted. When I try to erase it to reformat, the only option I have is to format again to--Agh--DOS. Even Norton Utilities won't recognize the damn disk.

Is there some way to recover the disk and Mac-format it?

wcaw

elehto
Aug 29, 2000, 10:38 AM

I've never had that problem myself, and I have gone through and formatted DOS Superdisks into mac format. Maybe you should reinstall the Suerdisk S/W or see if there's an appropriate update out there somewhere.

Apple Fan 2001
Aug 29, 2000, 11:49 AM

I've had this happen a few times on SuperDisks I bought at CompUSA. To let you know which revision of the SuperDisk drive I own and use on my iMac333 is the Bondi-SuperDisk drive(originally bought for my iMac266).

First try reformatting it with MacOS, I had luck on my first few tries with one disk, and on the second it did the same so I tried Norton Util 5.0 or whatever the newest one is, found out NU can't mount or see USB devices so I tried Alsoft's Diskwarrior. DW saw the floppy and tried to repair it, nope it didn't work(argh!).

I then ran over to my PIII and plugged the drive to the USB port and installed Imation's drivers from Superdisk.com and formatted the disk with my PC. After the format was done I unplugged the drive from my PC and took it to my iMac and the disk reformatted to MacOS HFS+. I could have done it using VPC but disk formatting is slooow. Its also a good idea to check superdisk.com every so often for new drivers and check their tech notes.

I hope this helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules