Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 Beta

OS 9.1 Beta
mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2000, 12:06 PM

Where can we get our hands on a copy of the new BETA of 9.1? or can we?
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2000, 12:11 PM

Generally, Apple doesn't publicly release betas of their OSes.

OS X, of course, being a completely different story.

My experience with beta releases is that unless you really, really need to bug test your own applications against it, you're simply better off waiting for the final release-- the betas, especially a first beta release, are much slower and buggier than the current version. (Used to work at a software developer shop.)

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2000, 01:17 PM

bad idea to get beta unless you want to re-install the "lattest beta" every other week...I've gone through that and don't feel like doing it again, especially when there may still be serious bugs with the early beta releases...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

mac freak
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2000, 01:29 AM

Speaking of OS 9.1...

Since it is a ".1" rather than a ".5," it should be a free upgrade to those of us using 9.0 and higher, no?
Be happy.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2000, 02:28 PM

I would recommend by this point $19.95 CD which hoipefully won't be so old by the time it arrives that it is totally obsolete... should include IE 5.5 as well.

I don't like having to custom install from 9.0 CD knowiing so much of it is out of date, have to run IE 5, MRJ 2.2.2 and QT 4.1.2 and other stufff even after running 9.0.4.

As to "if it's .1 it must be free" I think Apple's numbering system... is numbing. System 6 never made it to 6.1. 9.1 was suppose to be Jan 2000 and 9.5 summer 2000. All "free" and available for $20 w/ coupon for updated OS CD.

I'd like to see OS X beta CD come with 9.1 update, AND, 9.1 CDs come with �eta X - maybe extra $5. I don't know but it may be that X needs or runs best with an installed 9.1 to handle Classic box.

Mac OS beta is not like Windows, and it IS still in spite of all the postitive hype surrounding most, very much beta. "Minuet" was nearly GM and went "back to drawing board" it sounds like for some major rewrite tear out some code and redo from ground up to get it right (thanks Apple! I like to see the "if its worth doing, do it right - or not at all).

Gregory

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2000, 09:35 PM

Don't bother with beta's. They are full of bugs, and by the time you install it, there is a newer one. You should just wait for the official release. Especially if you use your computer for business, and can not afford downtime.

If you are just a MacAddict looking for a good time, then beta's are for you!

------------------

PerfectlyNormalBeast
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2000, 02:15 PM

Does anybody have an ETA on the final 9.1? I sure hope it's soon. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules