Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 160GB Is it real?!?#?!

160GB Is it real?!?#?!
kndonlee
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2002, 02:30 PM

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me decipher this little quirk of mine. It may be totally normal, but just to double chack and make sure it's a normal thing....

I need tons of storage for a variety of things, and went for the gusto and got myself a 160Gig harddrive. however, when I popped it into my firewire case and loaded it up, I got to format it to 127.97 gigs. Now that doesn't seem right at all.

I know there is a difference between the formatted capacity and rated capacity, however, there shoudl've be such a disparity. Because, the rated capacity calculates a megabyte at 1,000,000 bytes, whereas the formated cpacity calculates one megabyte at 2^20=1048576 bytes, 160,000,000,000/1048576 gives me approx 152 gigs... that's a big difference from 127 gigs....I could spare a gig or two...but not 25 gigs!!!! =P

Anyone with a 160gig get the same thing? Or am I being limited by Mac OS and can't format above a certan capacity and have certain size drives?

Thanx All

istallion
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2002, 05:37 PM

The problem is that your IDE controller can't address more than 128GB(28bits & 512B blocks).
Maxtor developed the ata133 spec which allows 131PB size drives. Although I'm not sure there are any firewire/IDE bridges that support it yet.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by istallion:
<STRONG>The problem is that your IDE controller can't address more than 128GB(28bits & 512B blocks).
Maxtor developed the ata133 spec which allows 131PB size drives. Although I'm not sure there are any firewire/IDE bridges that support it yet.</STRONG>
there is an acard controller which supports the full 160 GB. you can read about it on this xlr8yourmac page.

-r.

kndonlee  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2002, 08:11 PM

hehe..I knew it was something like that...there was a limit...Thanx guys. =)

Donald

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2002, 01:10 AM

All the more reason for me to go SCSI $ $

Forum Links
Forum Rules