Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > TCP/IP file sharing bug?

TCP/IP file sharing bug?
dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 1999, 12:16 PM

I LOVE TCP/IP file sharing. It's fast and it easily allows me access to my work computer hard drive from home.

However, whenever my work computer (Beige G3/300, clean install of retail OS9) gets turned off or restarted, the file sharing preferences get reset so that the check boxes for file sharing via TCP/IP are no longer checked. The obvious problem is that I cannot change this from a remote location if I need to access the hard drive.

I have tried locking the file sharing control panel with no success. We do not have a problem unless the computer is restarted. This would not be a problem except that we have some Windozers who use this shared computer and always manage to hit shut-down rather than log-out from the Special menu.

So two questions:

1) How do I get file sharing to remember my preferences. Does anyone else have this problem?

2) Is there any way to grey-out shut-down and restart from the special menu so they will not be inadvertantly selected when somebody is trying to log out?
Don

RBattin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 1999, 03:35 AM

I have a similar problem and will have to try TCP/IP file sharing to see if it behaves the same for me (Sorry to only compound your problem dbergstrom).

I have found Remote Access Answering preference does not stay set to answer calls between restarts, most of the time (G4/450). This requires me to check that box and input the assigned IP number again. I was using Apple Remote Access Server 3.0 prior to OS 9 on my previous Mac and never had this problem. I was glad to see this capability built into the OS but am disappointed that it has to be checked after every restart or shutdown. There is no ability to lock the configuration in Administration User Mode either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules