Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > windows requires different password with airport: explain?

windows requires different password with airport: explain?
hart
Senior User
Jun 13, 2011, 09:51 AM

My home network has been chugging along for years (I think I set it up around 2004!) without intervention and I haven't looked the gift horse in the mouth: if it ain't broke etc.

But every once in a while I cross paths with its legacy of mystery.

So yesterday I installed Windows 7 on a Mac Mini and Windows (via Boot Camp) kept saying the password was wrong. I look back in my password collection and find a 20 or so digit alphanumeric password I had to use with a Dell I had years ago. My notes describe it as "WEP code for non-airport computers" and say that it came from Airport Admin Utility. This password worked.

What is this password? If I wanted to locate it today would it be available somewhere in Airport Utility (couldn't find it myself.) Is this some ancient holdover associated with my historic Airport base station that wouldn't happen with more recent equipment?

I hate it when I don't understand HOW something works. Any help alleviating my ignorance appreciated.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 10:36 AM

What router are you using ?
Are you really still using WEP ? I remember oddities around WEP, which I never experienced with WPA/WPA2.

-t

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2011, 12:06 PM

Yes, still WEP. I haven't looked at or messed with the settings on this network in years. I'm afraid if I move the accumulated dust mice the whole thing will stop working.

Is it possible to change to WPA/WPA2 without drama? Meaning if I just change it in Airport Utility is that enough? This was mentioned as a fix for other password-related problems in the Apple Boot Camp forum.

As for equipment I have the original router for our pre-historic DSL from Earthlink (then Mindspring :/ I think this was about 2001) coming into the house then a d-link router which has some wired connections including the Airport base station which I think dates from maybe 2004.

I guess there is some sort of testimonial to the equipment here since it just keeps on working without me paying any attention.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 12:10 PM

WHICH Airport base station ? Airport Extreme or Airport Express ?

Check in the Airport Utility if you can change to WPA.

WPE is really dated, and can be cracked in a short time.

-t

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2011, 12:29 PM

Extreme. Flying saucer model.

WPA is presented as an option in Airport Utility so I would think I can change.

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jun 13, 2011, 12:33 PM

Ah, the old days.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2011, 12:34 PM

I would do that. You should be able to revert back to WEP in case of problems.

-t

Cold Warrior
Jun 13, 2011, 09:56 PM

There were some circumstances where you'd have to use hex not plain text on that hardware.

Accessing a Airport Network with Windows XP

Set it to wpa though and you should be good.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2011, 01:10 AM

There are still people using WEP in 2011? I thought everyone got the memo: WEP is worst than no security setting at all because it's false security.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hart  (op)
Senior User
Jun 14, 2011, 02:57 PM

As I said "ain't broke, don't fix." I haven't had to pay any attention to this network for years. This is the first time I've had to think about it since I bought a Dell with XP.

OK I'm going to try changing to WPA/WPA2 and see if the whole thing goes up in smoke. Hopefully not literally.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2011, 03:05 PM

The point is, you should think about the security of your home network, especially if you originally set it up with an inherently worthless "security" protocol like WEP.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2011, 01:18 AM

Speaking of WEP:

Modern Marvels - More Doomsday Tech:
This "security expert" is showing how easy it easy to hack into a wireless network. He goes on and on about how no system is 100% secure, blah, blah, blah. Of course, the network he is 'hacking' into is using WEP which is known to be insecure. The implication is that banks and the government use this encryption protocol. Some security expert, huh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules